Sambo....does it work ?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So, here's the thing. This has been debated before, but with the rise of Khabib and other russian fighters, the opinion of the competition of this combat sports has become a lot more favourable. Yet when Fedor was at the top of combat sambo, we even were hearing people just dropping out just to not compete against him, you know, that just doesn't happen in major sports..

Now, Ben Askren and Sonnen has been quoted saying Khabib is more of a wrestler than a sambo fighter. Khabib would obviously disagree with it, but if you really look at other succesful sambo fighters, who are really there who achieved a level of success that Fedor or Khabib has?

I am really genuniely curious about really the competition level of Sambo, but unfortunately, on this forum no one really seems to really know about it, but perhaps things has changed. And Sonnen speaks a lot of times a pure garbage out of his mouth, but I must say that what he said about sambo not being very good has been the popular sentiment around here in the past, like I said, before the rise of Khabib and other russian dudes. And it was sometimes hard to argue that, cuz if you look at Alex or baby Fedor, honestly these guys didn't look all that great on the ground, you see.

One thing I wanna point out though, a couple years back I just 'research'ed by the means of wikipedia, no one in sports sambo, which in the past around here has been proclaimed to have a higher level of competition and has been around longer, and in combat sambo, appeared to have achieved more in Judo than Fedor has, when it comes to Russian competitiors.

It looks like there have been world class judokas entering Sports sambo, not really Combat sambo, world medalists in other countries, like Mongolia for one, but not from Russia. I personally found it very interesting because Sambo is Russian martial arts, and Russia is a powerhouse in heavyweight Judo and perhaps in Judo overall. This may have been due to the limitations of the information available on wikipedia however.

The arguable GOAT of MMA used sambo to stay undefeated for 27 straight fights and 10 years. You tell me.

The arguable GOAT of MMA used Sambo to stay undefeated for 27 straight fights and 10 years. You tell me.

Arguablly more to do with Judo than Sambo, though Fedor might say otherwise

Maybe it would help if people could point out the techniques, unique to sambo, used in high level mordern mma fights effectively.

magnets_c.jpg

If sambo was easy it would be called too late damn

Yes it works, It is the closest thing to MMA before there was MMA

I think it is a little ignorant by Askren and Sonnen to claim that Khabib uses wrestling more than sambo, as wrestling is a part of Sambo. It is like Royce claiming that Hughes beat him by Gracie BJJ just to make his sport look good. Sambo has more or less all the moves in wrestling. Sport Sambo and Combat Sambo are primarily throwing sports. Meaning most of the scoring is from takedowns, similar to Judo. However, attacking the legs with such things as double-leg takedowns, and fireman's carries are permitted without restrictions unlike judo.

I also assume world champion Sambo practitioners in Russia trains with world class wrestlers every day, so "good" college wrestlers will not present them with something new, or even be a challenge.

Fedor was a special fighter (just like Khabib), since his submission and ground game was so good. He was definitely one of the best submission artists and grapplers we have ever seen in mma.

If the UFC was a Russian or even European company, I am sure we would see several Russian Sambo practitioners in the top 5.

I think it is a little ignorant by Askren and Sonnen to claim that Khabib uses wrestling more than sambo, as wrestling is a part of Sambo. It is like Royce claiming that Hughes beat him by Gracie BJJ just to make his sport look good. Sambo has more or less all the moves in wrestling. Sport Sambo and Combat Sambo are primarily throwing sports. Meaning most of the scoring is from takedowns, similar to Judo. However, attacking the legs with such things as double-leg takedowns, and fireman's carries are permitted without restrictions unlike judo.

I also assume world champion Sambo practitioners in Russia trains with world class wrestlers every day, so "good" college wrestlers will not present them with something new, or even be a challenge.

Fedor was a special fighter (just like Khabib), since his submission and ground game was so good. He was definitely one of the best submission artists and grapplers we have ever seen in mma.

If the UFC was a Russian or even European company, I am sure we would see several Russian Sambo practitioners in the top 5.
Not too long ago Judo and sambo were so strikingly similar it might as well have been the same discipline with different rule sets for competition. Now Judo is turning to shit

I'll post the same thing again.

Sambo is probably the best sport to have as a base, it brings everything (because it mixes very well judo, wrestling, striking and submissions) and prepares you very well, specially the bigger men, this year Sambo world champions and contenders in the podium were all very accomplished and competitive MMA fighters.

c60040e04ce291463326ab804804dae1.png

Left to right: Viktor Nemkov, Mikhail Mokhnatkin, Ivan Shtyrkov and Khadis Ibragimov. All top LHW prospects.

DXiP0ApX4AEEZWr.jpg:large

Left to right: Kirill Sidelnikov, Valentin Modalvsky, random guy and Denis Goltsov. 3 good heavyweights.

Fedor lost in Sambo before he lost in MMA js.

Not too long ago Judo and sambo were so strikingly similar it might as well have been the same discipline with different rule sets for competition. Now Judo is turning to shit

You know about Sambo?

I am hoping like to maybe find someone on sherdog who actually know about Sambo..with all due respect for everyone's 'opinion's, would like more 'expertise', here

Sambo is a competitive sport which combines the rules and techniques of wrestling and judo as well as some other techniques.
Both wrestling and judo give you a great base to compete in sport Sambo, although obviously the sports are different.
You will see guys with more of a wrestling style and background like Akhmedov, Bagautinov and Khabib ....and also some guys with a more judo style and background like Oleg Stepanov, Blagoi Ivanov, Fedor Emelianenko.

People could watch Sonnen win a street fight and discredit wrestling by saying "well he's more of an MMA fighter than a wrestler"...but it doesn't make sense and neither do Sonnen/Askren.

Arguablly more to do with Judo than Sambo, though Fedor might say otherwise

Sambo is an amalgamation of judo and several different forms of wrestling (as far as the grappling is concerned, anyway). You'll find guys who have trained sambo their whole lives who are also great wrestlers (especially if you go looking for sambists in the Caucasus) and guys who have trained sambo their whole lives who are also exceptional judokas. Trying to claim sambo is bunk because most of what Khabib does can be identified as freestyle wrestling (even if a lot of what he does on the ground obviously falls outside of freestyle wrestling's purview), is plainly stupid, but most everyone who says that likely already realizes it.

Sonnen's point might be (note I said might be as Sonnen talks out of his ass for no reason a lot) that Khabib would be similarly as dominant if he just wrestled his whole life without doing any sambo (we should remember that if Khabib was a better wrestler, he would likely have never competed in MMA), but I think that kind of thinking ignores that a lot of Khabib's dominance has to do with nuance within style that sambo itself helped develop.

I think another Sambo practitioner many forget is Arlovski, as he mostly likes to strike.
Arlovski went 17 (!!) years as a pro MMA fighter,and almost 40 fights without being submitted. At 38 years old he was submitted by Barnett..

I dont have newer stats, but in 2011, after fighting 25 mma fights, Andrei Arlovski had a 89.5% takedown defence. The second best in all of MMA at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back