Sambo....does it work ?

The techniques don't have to be unique to Sambo. They only have to be used in Sambo too.

Otherwise you could say boxing is worthless because Muay Thai uses punches as well (or the other way around, whatever).

@topic: Of course Sambo has its uses. So does Judo and Karate. But you won't win an MMA fight with only Sambo.

You don't win high level MMA fight with one discipline nowadays.

Remember Gracie against Beltran fight, lol.

Back in the days, especially in rising Jap. Org., where sambo players had more access (and indeed it´s all about access), you had very talented guys like Kopylov and Han, and others, who unfortunately were already too old when the whole thing started.

About your : " honestly these guys didn't look all that great on the ground, you see."

I suggest u watch Kopylov schooling Leonardo Castello Branco (who was considered BJJ Next Level back then) in 1999, on the ground...

I think Minowaman is Sambist as well to a big degree.
HE had great leglocks.

fedor-sambo-flip-2012-o.gif

The HW goat and the possible LW goat are Sambo users

But if we don't find a third goat into Sambo, can't say if legit
<seedat>

Arguablly more to do with Judo than Sambo, though Fedor might say otherwise
Judo does not even punch and is one of the least effective arts for working in hi level MMA. It worked for Ronda owing to the fact that she was surrounded by soccer moms.

Sambo is just basically amateur MMA tho, so I don't understand wtf he be talkin' about. Khabib was trained to be the most effective fighter he could be, to absorb as little damage as possible while giving he most damage capable, and he has been doing a stellar job of that.

The only thing I see in that stupid controversy is two wrestlers trying to hog sambo's success in claiming that only the wrestling aspect matters.

I trained in sambo for a couple of months for my first grappling martial art, but the school shit down so soon because nobody knew what it was. The classes were early beginner classes but taught many of the same things I've learned in bjj but also a lot of leg locks while in opponents guard and a bunch of throws. It was cool stuff I'd love to train in it again. It was a strong style type grappling, with strong emphasis on getting off your back.

The Diaz bros train almost exclusively under a sambo guy named val, at least from what I used to see on nicks YouTube a few years ago.

~DaViD~

TS, i think the answer is that as an organized sport, no, sport sambo does not have structure.

but kung fu has structure. and they compete against each other. and they seem to do very poorly in mma or actual combat.

i would take a sport sambo practitioner - without sport infrastructure - over a kung fu practitioner - with sport infrastructure - any day.

i think i answered (several of your) questions. but i'm not really sure since the scope of your OP was so broad and all over the place. cheers.

'Russia is a powerhouse in heavyweight Judo'. ......are we? Apart from Mikhailin (who is older and not so mobile these days) we don't have any good player at heavyweight. We are better in lower weight categories. Like 66, 73, 81 etc.

'Russia is a powerhouse in heavyweight Judo'. ......are we? Apart from Mikhailin (who is older and not so mobile these days) we don't have any good player at heavyweight. We are better in lower weight categories. Like 66, 73, 81 etc.

When fedor was competing

Tthe guys he likely competed against were Tamerlan Tmenov, silver and bronze olympic medalist, two time silver and two time bronze world championship winner, and Alexander Mikhaylin, three time world championship winner and two bronze, and silver olympic medalist. Tamerlan Tmenov is 39, Mikhaylin is 37, and Fedor is 40 years old. And between Tmenov and Mikhaylins,they have 13 European gold medals..I dont know how strong they are not but according to mikhaylin, well to quote the guy

"...I remember Fedor Emelianenko as a very strong judoka. We constantly sparred with each other in training, and both of us held the upper hand at one time or another. We fought in a major competition only once, about seven years ago. I won against him in the final match of some international tournament then. ** However, right after that I won two gold medals in the world championships, one in the super heavyweight division and the other one in the absolute. My victory over Fedor Emelianenko was not easy, and that's understandable. He was a very tough opponent for anyone.

Today, I can't really evaluate all of the pluses and minuses of him as a candidate for the national team back then. I have also changed a lot since that time. However, his distinctive characteristic has always been the untamed desire to fight. Even when he lost the match, he fought until the very end, trying to use even the smallest opportunity to win. Many major sport teams would have wanted to have a strong heavyweight judoka like Emelianenko on the roster. However, the competition among the super heavyweights in the Russian national team has always been exceptionally strong. It would have been very hard for him to overcome it, especially when it was combined with sports politics. In that situation, Fedor, to put it bluntly, got fed up and transitioned to a different sport where he now has no equal..."

I think Sambo, like wrestling, takes a certain strength and athleticism to be successful.

BJJ is less like this.
We see physically weaker guys like Rousimar Palhares and Andre Galvao able to succeed using technique.

It's completely silly to say wrestling "works" but Sombo doesn't work, since Sombo incorporates wrestling in the first place (among other things).

Wrestling in Sombo is simply weaker than wrestling in pure wrestling, Judo in pure Judo, striking (where applicable) in pure striking, etc...

But is the collection of multiple (albeit less-deep) abilities better than deep-level ability in a single discipline? That's an argument to have, but it's very different than the one Chael presented in his video.

Edit: Put it this way:

Take a pair of identical twins at age 13. Train one in Sombo for 10 years. Train the other in pure wrestling for 10 years. Then matched them up against each other. Who would win? I certainly don't think it would be the case that the latter would walk all over the former, do you?

Arguablly more to do with Judo than Sambo, though Fedor might say otherwise

He participated 12 times in Sambo championships. On the other hand 2 times in Judo.

So yes, he has far more Sambo experience. But it was the fact, that he blended all styles together and chained them fluently. Thats what made him successful.

When fedor was competing

Tthe guys he likely competed against were Tamerlan Tmenov, silver and bronze olympic medalist, two time silver and two time bronze world championship winner, and Alexander Mikhaylin, three time world championship winner and two bronze, and silver olympic medalist. Tamerlan Tmenov is 39, Mikhaylin is 37, and Fedor is 40 years old. And between Tmenov and Mikhaylins,they have 13 European gold medals..I dont know how strong they are not but according to mikhaylin, well to quote the guy

"...I remember Fedor Emelianenko as a very strong judoka. We constantly sparred with each other in training, and both of us held the upper hand at one time or another. We fought in a major competition only once, about seven years ago. I won against him in the final match of some international tournament then. ** However, right after that I won two gold medals in the world championships, one in the super heavyweight division and the other one in the absolute. My victory over Fedor Emelianenko was not easy, and that's understandable. He was a very tough opponent for anyone.

Today, I can't really evaluate all of the pluses and minuses of him as a candidate for the national team back then. I have also changed a lot since that time. However, his distinctive characteristic has always been the untamed desire to fight. Even when he lost the match, he fought until the very end, trying to use even the smallest opportunity to win. Many major sport teams would have wanted to have a strong heavyweight judoka like Emelianenko on the roster. However, the competition among the super heavyweights in the Russian national team has always been exceptionally strong. It would have been very hard for him to overcome it, especially when it was combined with sports politics. In that situation, Fedor, to put it bluntly, got fed up and transitioned to a different sport where he now has no equal..."
That was a good read. Thanks.

There is a general defensiveness that Fedor fans get. The haters claim that’s why they hate, but the fans claim they’re only defensive because the haters are so ridiculous. A classic Chicken and Egg situation.

That being said, you now seem to be implying that Fedor is to Sambo as Cung Le is to Sanshou. And as instinctively defensive as I want to get about that, you make valid points.

But they both did well in MMA. But both are also very well rounded (unlike many jukota who attempted the transition.) And Machida did well after his karate, but only because he was so well rounded.

Ultimately Sambo should prob be considered as legit a training ground for MMA as any of the others.

I am hoping like to maybe find someone on sherdog who actually know about Sambo..with all due respect for everyone's 'opinion's, would like more 'expertise', here

the thing is there is overwhelming evidence that it does work. Its not something you have to look deeply into. You can learn what sambo is and just watch footage of it to know that it would be useful and applicable to MMA.

the thing is there is overwhelming evidence that it does work. Its not something you have to look deeply into. You can learn what sambo is and just watch footage of it to know that it would be useful and applicable to MMA.
TS goes from point to point without much segue. He asks if Sambo works, but then his main arguing points seem to be that in the late 90s Fedor was the king of a sport organization that wasn’t very mature.

Makes it difficult to discuss when it’s so all over the place.

Back