I Have A New Criteria For GOAT Status

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't even call your favorite fighter "GOAT" if he doesn't have a minimum of 12 fight winning streak on his record. Period. Why 12? I took the longest winning streaks of every weight class (13 + 12 + 10 + 13 + 16 + 13 + 16 + 13 + 9) and I divided them by 7 (number of weight classes) ~ 12.3. So, let us say 12.

This number includes all the UFC fighters who are constantly in GOAT talks (regardless of persona emotional feelings about PEDs); Anderson Silva, GSP, Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones. Max Holloway should also be included, but he isn't.

So, 12 fight winning streak is a good number (based on the current history of standardized MMA, July 30, 2009 up to date).

These winning streaks must have occured from July 30, 2009 and onward. Why? Because that is when the MMA Unified Rules were unanimously put into effect, and the sport became standardized. As the sport continues to evolve, this criteria will have to be changed. according to the evolution of the sport.

Well, what about the PRIDE FC fighters of our old men glory days? Simple, they are pioneers. Their sport is now obsolete, so they can't be logically compared to MMA fighters who have fought their careers inside a cage with variations of the Unified Rules.

Every sport has pioneers. Not everybody is the GOAT. Bill Russell won like 11 NBA championships, and he is not considered the GOAT of basketball, rightfully so.

BJ is the LW Goat.

giphy.gif

Longest win streaks of all time among GOAT contenders

Fedor - 27

Aldo - 18

Anderson - 17

Jones - 13

DJ - 13

GSP - 13

Who the fuck are you & why should we be obliged for following your rule?

What about Shogun with 11 wins, but a loss inbetween them against Coleman?

Can you really disqualify him in the talks of an LHW GOAT just because of this system?

Don't even call your favorite fighter "GOAT" if he doesn't have a minimum of 12 fight winning streak on his record. Period. Why 12? I took the longest winning streaks of every weight class (13 + 12 + 10 + 13 + 16 + 13 + 16 + 13 + 9) and I divided them by 7 (number of weight classes) ~ 12.3. So, let us say 12.

This number includes all the UFC fighters who are constantly in GOAT talks (regardless of persona emotional feelings about PEDs); Anderson Silva, GSP, Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones. Max Holloway should also be included, but he isn't.

So, 12 fight winning streak is a good number (based on the current history of standardized MMA, July 30, 2009 up to date).

These winning streaks must have occured from July 30, 2009 and onward. Why? Because that is when the MMA Unified Rules were unanimously put into effect, and the sport became standardized. As the sport continues to evolve, this criteria will have to be changed. according to the evolution of the sport.

Well, what about the PRIDE FC fighters of our old men glory days? Simple, they are pioneers. Their sport is now obsolete, so they can't be logically compared to MMA fighters who have fought their careers inside a cage with variations of the Unified Rules.

Every sport has pioneers. Not everybody is the GOAT. Bill Russell won like 11 NBA championships, and he is not considered the GOAT of basketball, rightfully so.

Nobody cares what your definition of GOAT is or what anyone thinks a GOAT is.

There will never be an AGREED upon GOAT in MMA. There are simply too many variables and factors to consider.

LOL at people still thinking the sport has "evolved" since Pride. Half the top heavyweights are from the PRIDE era.

MMA hasn't evolved much at all over the past decade.

Fedor - 27

Aldo - 18

Anderson - 17

Jones - 13

DJ - 13

GSP - 13
Fedor is 2-4 inside the cage under unified MMA rules. How do you logically compare a record that was obtained inside a ring with completely different rules?

Let us put all our emotions aside, and just use logic for this debate. I have no problem with Fedor being the GOAT of ring fighters. Unfortunately, that sport is now obsolete at the highest level of MMA.

I am only talking about MMA in its current, which is (1) cage fighting and (2) version of MMA Unifief Rules. If you want to talk about another sport (ring fighting), I think the Wordlwide MMA forum is best for that.

I have one, there is no GOAT, only the best in the division at the time....

It’s a fucking stupid topic for an evolving sport that is only a couple of decades old....

Who the fuck are you & why should we be obliged for following your rule?
You shouldn't be obliged to follow anything. If you don't want to have the conversation, don't. If you do, then tell me logically why my argument does or doesn't make sense.

Is intelligence too much to ask?

So Ben Askren is Goat WW because he is 18-0 even though hasn't fought anyone of note?

Good for you. Now you and all none of your friends can sit around drinking Zima and discussing you arbitrarily threw together.
Nobody cares.
1518658812577.jpg

LOL at people still thinking the sport has "evolved" since Pride. Half the top heavyweights are from the PRIDE era.

MMA hasn't evolved much at all over the past decade.
The sport at the highest level is now contested (1) inside a cage and (2) under versions of the MMA unified rules.

So, there has been a drastic change of (1) playing field and (2) rules of engagement, and you think that is a small evolution. LOL

Come on son, you don't have to agree, but can you please be logical.

Fedor - 27

Aldo - 18

Anderson - 17

Jones - 13

DJ - 13

GSP - 13

Here's how I see the Fedor thing and why his whole GOAT status is bullshit. If Ben Askren goes on to win another 10 fights and never gets into the UFC, does this mean he's better than Fedor?

Ben Askren is currently number 2 according to your criteria. No losses either like Fedor has.

Bellator standout Julio Cesar Neves actually beats both Fedor, Askren, and everyone else on your list, going 30-0.

Nobody cares what your definition of GOAT is or what anyone thinks a GOAT is.

There will never be an AGREED upon GOAT in MMA. There are simply too many variables and factors to consider.
Nobody agrees with anything in the world. It doesn't stop us from having the discussions. LOL

You replied because you wanted to engage. So, please provide a more thoughtful contribution.

I considered it until you mentioned the Unified Rules.
F those rules and F that judging criteria.
The sport was better before fighters adopted the 10-9 strategy.

Back