Are three title defenses really that impressive?

cakemuncher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Three is a small number. A very very small number.

A sample of size 3 is considered insufficient to draw any statistically significant conclusions.

If you predict stock movements three times in a row, it doesn't make you a stock market guru. It could be just luck.

In the same way, three title defenses could be just luck. It depends on your opponents, how good they are, if they have had any recent injuries, how they are feeling on the night, and many other idiosyncrasies...

Therefore, we should be very careful not to draw any GOAT conclusions from this very small number!

Well considering no other UFC heavyweight has ever accomplished this feat....

I'd say yes.

They hit hard. Anyone can win on any given day.

look at the list of champs that couldnt do it. fuck yes its impressive

mark coleman
maurice smith
randy couture
bas rutten
kevin randleman
josh barnett
ricco rodriguez
tim sylvia
frank mir
andrei arlovski
antonio nogueira
brock lesnar
shane carwin(interm belt after brock was injured)
cain velasquez
JDS
fabricio werdum

and now finally stipe. So many great fighters. but that claim gos to Stipe Miocic

The sample size isn't 3, its the number every UFC HW champ.

And none of them over the course of 25 years or so has been able to string together 3 consecutive title defense. Its never been done.

So yeah, its impressive.

I couldn't classify anything that has ever happened in the UFC HW division as impressive. It has never had a dominating champ like we've seen in boxing or in Pride. At this point it's like a guy with a 3" dick saying he's better than a guy with a 2" dick. Yes, but still not impressive.

Yes considering the heavies usually land that one punch and to avoid that one punch is not easy over and over again, Ngannou had no ground game at all so he could not stand back up but if he had ground game it could have easily went the other way although I was pulling for Stipe and even Stipe said that dude hits hard and can end it quickly.

its HW. the 50th ranked HW only needs one punch to potentially put the #1 ranked HW out cold.

HW is like russian roulette. it only takes 1 shot and it´s all over.

So yeah, pretty damn impressive.

I couldn't classify anything that has ever happened in the UFC HW division as impressive. It has never had a dominating champ like we've seen in boxing or in Pride. At this point it's like a guy with a 3" dick saying he's better than a guy with a 2" dick. Yes, but still not impressive.
Thats a matter of perspective....the 2" dick guys would likely be impressed....

200.gif

Like everyone else, Hell Yeah its impressive at HW. Nevermind that he is doing it about 20 lb lighter than a lot of the guys fighting there, that is like Demetrious Johnson winning 3 title defences at Featherweight.

Three is a small number. A very very small number.

A sample of size 3 is considered insufficient to draw any statistically significant
Therefore, we should be very careful not to draw any GOAT conclusions from this very small number!
you know what is smaller than 3 it's 2, matter of fact it's 150% so UFC HW GOAT is black and white.

But say he's only MM size. Now that 3" is impressive isn't it.

what if its a bunch of 8 inch dicks, but stipe has 9. are they all impressive???

<DisgustingHHH>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back