Fighters predicted Stipe to win

warriorfan808

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know Stipe feels like everyone doubted him, but when asked on MMA Focus, Werdum, Might Mouse, Amanda Nunes, and Khabib all thought Stipe was going to win this. Of the panel, no one thought he was going to lose. It sounded more like Ngannou had a punchers chance.

Not sure if others felt the same way.

There was a thread a few days ago with a lot of pro fighters picking Stipe.

The skill sets of the two were practically complete opposites. Except they both hit hard, and have really good chins. We didn’t actually know Ngannou had a chin before the fight, though. Which is why I picked Stipe to get the KO, in rd 1.

I never really care about ANYBODY’S predictions. I have as much of a chance of being right as the fighters themselves. So, I make my picks, and stand behind them.

It’s just weird that so many ppl can be wrong about something that seemed so obvious.

That first round was tense. I thought Stipe could go night night at any moment.

Not that surprising. I think most of the "stipe is going to get KO'd dead in a round" talk was due to the recency of Ngannou's KO of Overeem. The image of that KO overshadowed everything else. I also think most of the MMA media was hoping Ngannou would win because it was such a great story and francis is much more approachable figure than stipe, who is usually standoffish with the media at best.

fighters that win against Francis:
- Werdum
- Stipe
- POssibly JDS
- Hunt
- Broken Cain
- Maybe Tybura

Francis is 100% hype. The black Tank Abott

Anyone who watched Ngannou'ss and Oezdemir's loss(es) knew they were in for a bad night.....

Theyre novices on the ground against folkstyle wrestlers.......they were not going to have a good time....

There was a thread a few days ago with a lot of pro fighters picking Stipe.

The skill sets of the two were practically complete opposites. Except they both hit hard, and have really good chins. We didn’t actually know Ngannou had a chin before the fight, though. Which is why I picked Stipe to get the KO, in rd 1.

I never really care about ANYBODY’S predictions. I have as much of a chance of being right as the fighters themselves. So, I make my picks, and stand behind them.

It’s just weird that so many ppl can be wrong about something that seemed so obvious.

I had Stipe winning as well. I do know that the majority of people that I knew thought Ngannou was going to knock him out. I think they all forgot that Stipe grew up wrestling.

fighters that win against Francis:
- Werdum
- Stipe
- POssibly JDS
- Hunt
- Broken Cain
- Maybe Tybura

Francis is 100% hype. The black Tank Abott
Werdum, maybe
Stipe, as we have seen
JDS, I think he would get clipped early and knocked out
Hunt, he would absorb power shots he wouldn't survive early
Broken Cain, probably Cain
Tybura, no.He has no wrestling on Ngannou, no striking, just I think he would get hit and...
Ngannou can kill anyone in 1st, if you don't have very good chin you will get ktfo, as we have seen on the Reem

A lot of people had Stipe winning.

Me, for example.

Ngannou doesn't mind doing media and interviews. Stipe doesnt self promote, and has little interest in media. Watch his post fight press conference if you want an example. He's excited to get home to his new snow blower. Promotion wise, it would've been better for the UFC to have Ngannou as champ.

the fighters are smarter than the fans - and generally nicer - fans tend to be bitter losers who say anything and dont know anything

the casual fan thought Ngannou would win, maybe 75% of them - while the fighters picked Miocic 95% of the time - - complete opposite - - those who picked ngannnou have vanished like cockroaches when the light goes on in an infested house

A rarity.... usually if it's a close fight (Vegas odds wise) and every fighter picks fighter A------ fighter B USUALLY wins.

That first round was tense. I thought Stipe could go night night at any moment.

He could have and he knew it. He constantly retreated after each brief exchange even after landing very solid shots. Fought a very intelligent fight. He knew where he was in danger and didn't get over confident even when the exchanges were going his way. Lots of people shitting on Francis due to inexperience and unfortunately it's diminishing what Stipe was able to do, which was quite impressive.

Had Stipe winning because of his technicality. Ngannou was banking on the KO, Stipe had a game plan.

Back