So Robert Whittaker has a wrestling background??

MustangSally

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
On his wiki page there are references his wrestling credentials which include him winning the Australian Cup (2015), Australian Wrestling Championships (2017) and qualifying for the Commonwealth Games (2018). I have no idea how good/bad Australian wrestling is but these results make it seem like he comes from wrestling background and that it not just something he picked up in the last two years. Anyone know more about this?

I, and I am sure many others, have always seen him as an out-and-out striker who just happened to have good TDD. But if he indeed comes from a wrestling background then this kind of explains why he was so comfortable striking with Jacare and Romero

It’s the internet. Look it up. Type the same shit into a search engine.

tenor.gif

Rockhold is doomed

Well maybe I already did that? All that comes up are stories about his wrestling titles in the last 2 years, no mention of a career before that.

I´m not sure either how good Australian wrestling really is, but he was able to stop the grappling of 2 of the strong grapplers in the UFC: Romero and Souza.

Whittaker is amazing, Luke won´t be able to get the takedowns. His telegraphed kicks and his hands will be too slow to find Bobby in the cage. I see a terrible night for Luke, I think he is getting TKOed in the 3rd or 4th.

In other news, elite athletes from MMA destroy bum athletes in the constituent sports.

tenor.gif
well this is a forum for MMA discussion. if people are going to shame posts at least dont shame one that is actually about MMA asking an actual MMA question.

plus you have 14,000 posts in 19 months. im sure nothing frivolous has been posted by thee.

It is impressive for someone who only uses it defensively. No to mention that I think he wrestles at 200+ lbs

On his wiki page there are references his wrestling credentials which include him winning the Australian Cup (2015), Australian Wrestling Championships (2017) and qualifying for the Commonwealth Games (2018).

jeah that should be the reason why whittaker`s takedown defense is so ridicilous good.
i think one of the only way to get whittaker to the ground is to hurt him stand up and this is pretty hard because the stand up game from whittaker is one of the best in the ufc imo. the only man who challenged him stand up was stephen thompson so far, and thompson has a very good space game.

Rockhold is fucked imo. I thought he was gonna be huge compared to Whittaker but that face off showed different. Robs a little shorter but looks at least as built maybe more.
Better boxing and now we all know, world class Australian wrestling.

Rockhold is a huge MW, but Whittaker is going to mess him up and find that chin.

Rockhold is a huge MW, but Whittaker is going to mess him up and find that chin.

the nasty and fast left hook from whittaker can have a huge impact on rockholds chin. whittaker has a very good stand up game, he can switch from defensive into offensive very well. rockhold needs a good space game against him, like thompson worked on him with the option to bring the fight to the ground in the later rounds, when whittaker can get into fatique.

Back