Robert Whittaker has qualified for the 2018 Commonwealth games Australian wreslting team

Lol. They obviously don't wrestle in Australia.

That's like Dan Henderson qualifying for the fencing team in Saudi Arabia.

Says a lot about the state of Aussie wrestling

Good on him!! I am sure he will make us proud!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Can't wait for GSP to sneak up with a steel chair when the refs not looking.

Whittaker defended Romero's wrestling ffs. He's pretty good..

This comparison is on the spectrum.

Says a lot about the state of Aussie wrestling

What so unusual about Australia's best mixed martial artists being one of their best wrestlers.

Wrestling is a discipline of a mixed martial artist.

That Dan Hendo quote above is an awful analogy.

GSP better get his ass down to WW. Just hand over the belt and walk away.

He defended Yoels take downs sure but GSPs takedowns are different than Yoels. NO i am not saying GSP is a better wrestler than Yoel alright relax... but for mma purposes GSPs timing and take downs are something whittaker hasnt delt with before. I really hope GSP decides to fight him i think its a very very interesting fight.

People gotta realize that stuffing a few takedowns in an MMA cage is not at all comparable to pure, high level competitive wrestling on a mat. Olympic wrestlers can struggle to apply even the basics in an MMA setting where they have to worry about being punched in the face; likewise guys who are only versed in defending basic single/double leg takedowns with a fence to their backs would be helpless against real world class wrestlers on a mat. Bobby Knuckles isn't ever going to be wrestling in the Olympics or anything comparable just because he stuffed a few of Romero/Jacare's takedowns in a UFC fight.

Still impressive for a guy who's background was originally in karate to be able to qualify for something like this regardless.

Yikes that guy has a serious future

How good is the Australian wrestling talent compared to places like Canada/Brazil anyway?
A long time back there was news about GSP possibly trying out for the Canadian team. Babalu was a national wrestling champ at one point in Brazil..

How good is the Australian wrestling talent compared to places like Canada/Brazil anyway?
A long time back there was news about GSP possibly trying out for the Canadian team. Babalu was a national wrestling champ at one point in Brazil..

Australia is so young in comparison to other nations when it comes to wrestling. We have no school gov sponsered programs for it over here sadly. And all private schools programs are rugby/league, Afl or Cricket based hell wasnt till about 15 years ago programs for basketball and baseball/softball got implimented and only about 7-8 years ago Soccer/football started getting implimented mainstream.

The stigma of a “violent sport” still sticks to wrestling over here so it is unlikely to gain any real traction in grass roots gov sponsered programs while the old fuddy duddy conservatives are still around (same cunts who refuse R-rated games from being released over here)

As a former coach I have campaigned hard for wrestling in the past to no avail. we have a incredible pool of genetic talent just waiting to be tapped MMA is delving into it slowly now and having Rob as champ and now part of the Commonwealth wrestling team will shine some light on the sport. Governments love success so even a decent showing at the games will go a long way.

This happened awhile ago I think though (him making the team)

Back