MISSING WEIGHT.. Is there any good reason to miss weight?

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Whats up fellas, i was wondering if anyone can think of or tell me any good legit reason or reasons why a fighter doesnt make weight? Can you think of any at all?

Very short notice. Like a couple of days.

No. There may be reasons that are outside your control or were unforeseeable. But I would never describe any reason for missing weight as "good". It's also reasonable to argue that if you can't make the weight you shouldn't be fighting at that weightclass to begin with.

Yes, people get injured when they train for a cage fight. When one is injured it's tough to make weight for various reasons. Other than that, no.

Should miss weight no matter what. These guys are professionals on the big stage. Plus, most of these guys aren't making huge checks so 20% hurts.

No...

If you miss weight. It shows you are really riding a fine line. It’s legal, of course. But, doesn’t show alot of courage, imo.

I would probably give a fighter one pass. But, if it was my call. Miss weight twice, and you’re never fighting at the lower weight, again.

Wendy's was running a special on baconators.

johny-hendricks-looking-fat-with-sandwich.jpg

Yes, people get injured when they train for a cage fight. When one is injured it's tough to make weight for various reasons. Other than that, no.
I agree with this, if a fighter hurts his ankle not bad enough to pull out of the fight but can't hit that cycle up for as long as he needs he's in trouble.

That said, it's definitely unprofessional and shouldn't happen often. It's just annoying to hear people on here acting like someone should have eaten one less taco and they could move down a weight class

The only acceptable reason is really short notice.

If you sprain your ankle and can't get on the treadmill, then you shouldn't fight anyway.

A leg injury or any other injury that prevents the fighter from running or doing real cardio, within a few weeks of the fight, then I'd pretty much not blame them.

Also short notice of course.

Whats up fellas, i was wondering if anyone can think of or tell me any good legit reason or reasons why a fighter doesnt make weight? Can you think of any at all?
WHen you get older, it gets harder to lose the final 10 Lbs.
But it is not like you get a warning from your body... you try and try, but the weight does not come down anymore.

Next there is sickness.
You need to hydrate, so your body can fight it, but dehydrating makes it worse and can aggravate it.

Last it is more a fault of the nutritionist.
Each body is different.
To some, eating some things help lose weight. To others, the same thing can make you gain.
So they use the recipes that worked with plenty of people...and then don't get the same results from you...

In all abovementioned reasons, I have to say: I don't blame the fighter.
I blame the system which allows weight cutting. If everyone does, then what's the point?
Forbid anyone from cutting weight, and be done with something that can only damage the fighter's body.

Back