MISSING WEIGHT.. Is there any good reason to miss weight?

I don't know what you consider "good" or "legit" though. Obviously not taking your cut seriously and missing because of lack of discipline is a "bad" or "illegitimate" reason, but what if you trust your coaches and trainers and they screw it up with bad advice? I would personally give that fighter an ethical pass on the miss... the first time.

That might be the big thing for me: missing once versus missing multiple times. Anyone who misses more than once gets no benefit of the doubt.

Whats up fellas, i was wondering if anyone can think of or tell me any good legit reason or reasons why a fighter doesnt make weight? Can you think of any at all?
Short notice replacement is the only reason that's forgivable

They are trying to cut too much weight.

I don't know what you consider "good" or "legit" though. Obviously not taking your cut seriously and missing because of lack of discipline is a "bad" or "illegitimate" reason, but what if you trust your coaches and trainers and they screw it up with bad advice? I would personally give that fighter an ethical pass on the miss... the first time.

That might be the big thing for me: missing once versus missing multiple times. Anyone who misses more than once gets no benefit of the doubt.

well the fighter can still get on a scale to see if the coaches advice is working no? i cant see putting the blame on anyone else but the fighter.. im sure most if not all ufc fighters have been cutting weight their entire lives.

No...

If you miss weight. It shows you are really riding a fine line. It’s legal, of course. But, doesn’t show alot of courage, imo.

I would probably give a fighter one pass. But, if it was my call. Miss weight twice, and you’re never fighting at the lower weight, again.

i agree with this 100%!! This should be written in all ufc contracts.

I started this thread because i CANT STAND when a fighter misses weight.. Its their fuhkkkn job for crying out loud right?

tenor.gif

XTMGjFZTuSj9ypajCGtl_Beer%20Big%20Gulp.gif

oscar-s-pizza-and-sports.jpg

348s.jpg

bernies.jpg

tenor.gif

No.
I'm not buying the late notice replacement either. You know the guys in your division and should be close enough to make weight if called, if not we'll you have to pass and let someone else jump the ladder.

i mean if you think you're going to die, thats a pretty good reason.

maybe if you're aged and its a hard cut to a weight class you don't belong in anymore - then maybe ya.

But being in your prime and moving up a weight class - no fucking reason for that.

Or your just too slack on your diet while in camp - it's part of your job to make weight.

lazy ass kelvin and hendricks

I blame failure to make weight on the fact that fighters have to cut weight... Period. But to be honest, weight cutting isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Probably never actually.

well the fighter can still get on a scale to see if the coaches advice is working no? i cant see putting the blame on anyone else but the fighter.. im sure most if not all ufc fighters have been cutting weight their entire lives.

Maybe. I'm not an expert on weight cutting. I'm just looking at it more from my own experience, professionally and personally. I've been the boss of guys young enough to be my son, and I've had to fully trust people who are experts. Those experiences make me go easy on people when they make mistakes the first time.

I think you either have the mentality that 100% of everything can be blamed on someone somewhere's choices, or you don't. I personally don't. Since I don't, I think that there's always a chance that everyone involved could make good choices but the result still craps out. But if it happens again that is probably the beginning of a trend and not just chance. Just the perspective I've gotten from life's ups and downs.

To get every advantage you can. What's 15% when you make 50% more if you win?

That's an interesting angle and one I've thought about a bit but haven't come to a firm conclusion about. If you miss a few times then Dana and company won't like you anymore which probably outweighs everything else, long term.

But short term? I think you can make a case for strategically missing weight under very specific circumstances. Which is unethical as f#@k, but if you are convinced it's the difference between a win and a loss the win might outweigh everything else. Weird stuff.

Whats up fellas, i was wondering if anyone can think of or tell me any good legit reason or reasons why a fighter doesnt make weight? Can you think of any at all?
They feel like they're about to die

Short notice is a fair excuse.. no matter who the hell you are you can't be in pristine shape 24/7 365 days a year. Things come up anomalies happen, people just shouldn't be cutting retarded amounts of weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back