MMA Rankings

Negan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The legitimacy of MMA rankings is obviously questionable with some of the recent match-ups the UFC has been putting on with money fights being a priority over rankings with the most recent example being GSP vs Michael Bisping for the MW title. Rather than just being critical of the system the UFC is currently using, I propose we offer some sort of viable alternative to the current system in place.

I think its obvious that the UFC and prizefighting in general operate differently than other major sporting organizations do so to try and implement some sort of system based off their ranking system doesn't seem like a legitimate option. If we took for an example Max Holloway defeating Jose Aldo for a second time, this leaves the division with a champion that has already beaten the number 1 contender twice and with a number 1 contender that's defeated the number 2 contender (Edgar) twice. What is the UFC supposed to do in this situation? A system purely based on wins isn't going to work. So where do we go from here?

I think some sort of tiered fighter ranking system should be put in place where there is no single ranked number 1 contender but a tier of maybe 3 fighters followed be another tier and so on.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about with the UFC's FW division.
Champion: Holloway

Tier 1: Aldo, Edgar, Lamas

Tier 2: Swanson, Sung Jung, Ortega

Tier 3: Rodriguez, Stephens, Elkins

And so on...

Anyone in tier 1 should be able to fight the champion and in order to move up a tier, you have to defeat an opponent above your tier. Now I know there's going to be holes in this ranking system and maybe they can be ironed out I figure it's better than just complaining and not offering up a potential solution.

Thoughts and constructive criticisms? There is a better system that can be implemented.

I agree that the current ranking system doesn't work and it probably never will. Any rankings system that is brought in will always be flawed and while MMA isn't a league, there'll always be room for bias and subjectivity.

The way it was pre-rankings in the UFC (the promoter chooses the matchups) is the way it still really works and is the only real option. So in my opinion, they shouldn't bring anything in and should just get rid of rankings because they're a bit of a facade.

A league is the only real alternative and it's probably not a realistic option due to injuries and missing weight.

The last guy to provide MMA rankings is no more. <Y2JSmirk>

They should keep the rankings and contention the way they were. All this bullshit has turned UFC into a fucking joke.

Back in the Zuffa era, rankings were taken semi-seriously.

In the WME era, it's about superfights to pay debt service. Rankings mean nothing.

This is where the Muhammad Ali act will help the sport.

When it comes to title shots and the top contenders getting it.

The legitimacy of MMA rankings is obviously questionable with some of the recent match-ups the UFC has been putting on with money fights being a priority over rankings with the most recent example being GSP vs Michael Bisping for the MW title. Rather than just being critical of the system the UFC is currently using, I propose we offer some sort of viable alternative to the current system in place.

I think its obvious that the UFC and prizefighting in general operate differently than other major sporting organizations do so to try and implement some sort of system based off their ranking system doesn't seem like a legitimate option. If we took for an example Max Holloway defeating Jose Aldo for a second time, this leaves the division with a champion that has already beaten the number 1 contender twice and with a number 1 contender that's defeated the number 2 contender (Edgar) twice. What is the UFC supposed to do in this situation? A system purely based on wins isn't going to work. So where do we go from here?

I think some sort of tiered fighter ranking system should be put in place where there is no single ranked number 1 contender but a tier of maybe 3 fighters followed be another tier and so on.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about with the UFC's FW division.
Champion: Holloway

Tier 1: Aldo, Edgar, Lamas

Tier 2: Swanson, Sung Jung, Ortega

Tier 3: Rodriguez, Stephens, Elkins

And so on...

Anyone in tier 1 should be able to fight the champion and in order to move up a tier, you have to defeat an opponent above your tier. Now I know there's going to be holes in this ranking system and maybe they can be ironed out I figure it's better than just complaining and not offering up a potential solution.

Thoughts and constructive criticisms? There is a better system that can be implemented.
I like your idea, it sounds really good actually.

They could also consider things like winning streak and KO/TKO/sub victories to advance faster than people who get only decisions. For example, a fighter that gets a 6 fight winning streak with 6 finishes gets to skip 1 tier. It would force the fighters to look for more finishes.

I really like the idea of tiers.
It would be tough to implement, and endlessly debated, but I like it.

What happens if two guys in the same tier fight, one is going to lose, does he stay in the same tier? If the only way to move up is to beat a guy in a tier above, it makes sense the higher tier guy would go down if he loses to the lower tier guy. What if they are in the same tier? Why would anyone take a fight with a lower tier guy? This in turn would make it almost impossible to move up a tier. Khabib doesn't fight much but would be a tier one guy. Which creates less opportunity for tier 2 guys to move up.

Tldr sorry

Then why shitpost? You could not read and not type. Saves you even more time than saying "Sorry, I don't know what you said and therefore have no good response, but here's my response anyway."

What happens if two guys in the same tier fight, one is going to lose, does he stay in the same tier? If the only way to move up is to beat a guy in a tier above, it makes sense the higher tier guy would go down if he loses to the lower tier guy. What if they are in the same tier? Why would anyone take a fight with a lower tier guy? This in turn would make it almost impossible to move up a tier. Khabib doesn't fight much but would be a tier one guy. Which creates less opportunity for tier 2 guys to move up.

So I'll stick with the FW division for now.

Aldo fights Holloway; winner is champion and the loser remains in tier 1.

Edgar fights Lamas; winner fights the champion if the champion is available, loser fights tier 2 fighter. Something along those lines. The loser of the championship fight could also fight a tier 2 fighter.

Back