Consensus of GSP's career/legacy?

sabretitan

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'll preface this first by saying GSP is one of my favorite fighters... I think it is unbelievable how inferior he has made some / most of his opprnts look; it just doesn't happen, especially in a crazy stacked division, minus a few other all time greats.
What are others thoughts on his career and legacy. Do all the decisions affect your opinion of him?
I think he most likely could have finished guys and as a fan it's frustrating, but at the same time, no one was finishing him..
Just curious to others thoughts.

GOAT.

See: his record.

Cleaned out the division twice (against legit opponents, unlike Might Mouse... though not his fault).

WW goat. Top 5 all time GOAT. His legacy is already cemented no matter what happens in the Bisping fight.

Amazing legacy.

He went out having beaten the best and having avenged every loss. Good guy too.

Admittedly I was in attendance for UFC 129 and can tell you first hand that his performances weren't the most exciting. He never truly wowed me or made me think I was seeing the next level of MMA as others have, but maybe that doesn't matter.

I also see UFC 217 as a no-lose situation. He either wins and further solidifies his legacy as a great, or loses and whatever, he's been retired for 4 years.

Last edited:
Fell asleep in more than one of his fights.

GOAT tbh. With Jones out of the picture, I have GSP as the best resume ever.

I'll preface this first by saying GSP is one of my favorite fighters... I think it is unbelievable how inferior he has made some / most of his opprnts look; it just doesn't happen, especially in a crazy stacked division, minus a few other all time greats.
What are others thoughts on his career and legacy. Do all the decisions affect your opinion of him?
I think he most likely could have finished guys and as a fan it's frustrating, but at the same time, no one was finishing him..
Just curious to others thoughts.
REdJJ3e.jpg He could have beaten Bisping back in the day. Now the 185 pound krispy kreme eater who hasnt fought in 4 years will lose via KO first round. Likely after 3 or 4 stuffed take downs.

WW GOAT. Somewhere at the very top all time GOAT list. He is undeniable.

Current GOAT.

If he wins vs. Bisping, defends vs. Whittaker then has a superfight vs. Woodley he will be pretty hard to debate against.

GSP was more than just his record, which was great. GSP was fighting in a time when the sport needed a good example, it needed someone like Georges who showed up dressed for work like this when most fighters appeared to be unconcerned with their image or the image of the company.

th

He was respectful to all his opponents and didn't get in trouble out of the Octagon. He also routinely translated for himself, since the UFC wouldn't give him a translator, so that his English speaking fans and his French Canadian fans could understand what was being said. He was a tremendous example of a professional athlete and fighter during a time when the UFC really needed it.

GOAT tbh. With Jones out of the picture, I have GSP as the best resume ever.
Best ever? His resume? Anyone can get a great resume like his if your able to successfully hold a man down for 25 minutes. Maybe if he actually finished his fights like an Anderson Silva or a Jon Jones I would possibly agree. Maybe a few fights with a good KO or submission over a big name. Other than Matt Hughes cant really think of a big name. Jake Shields? Nick Diaz who really doesnt win ever.yeah, I just cant. He lost to Jonny Hendricks. He knew he lost to.

View attachment 291645 He could have beaten Bisping back in the day. Now the 185 pound krispy kreme eater who hasnt fought in 4 years will lose via KO first round. Likely after 3 or 4 stuffed take downs.
Do you have money on it? You can get Bisping first round KO at 12:1 or so.

Best ever? His resume? Anyone can get a great resume like his if your able to successfully hold a man down for 25 minutes. Maybe if he actually finished his fights like an Anderson Silva or a Jon Jones I would possibly agree. Maybe a few fights with a good KO or submission over a big name. Other than Matt Hughes cant really think of a big name. Jake Shields? Nick Diaz who really doesnt win ever.yeah, I just cant. He lost to Jonny Hendricks. He knew he lost to.
No one could do what Georges did. The closest person is Maia. Stop acting like what he did was easy. That is ridiculous.

First of all, I agree he lost to Hendricks. Losing a close fight against a peak Hendricks doesn't really damage his position in the GOAT stakes in my eyes though. Not sure how you think it could, you mention Anderson, and he's had a lot worse than the hard-fought Hendricks loss.

GSP managed to nullify superb opponents, and did so while leaving no doubt as to who was better. You phrase your comment like its somehow easy to take and hold down prepared world-class fighters. If you want to increase the subjectivity of the argument by ascribing extra value to finishes, that's your choice, but in my books nobody has built the resume GSP has. I'm not even a particular fan of his, but it seems clear to me that he's the best ever with Jones disqualified.

Do you have money on it? You can get Bisping first round KO at 12:1 or so.
Do I have money on it? no, Im betting on the fight I want to see like Rose and JJ. Wont win much betting on Bisping/GSP. Bisping I believe is the underdog? but not by much. He was the underdog against Silva, Henderson, Rockhold etc. Wins. When will people stop doubting the guy betting against him proves to be a bigger risk lol

Do I have money on it? no, Im betting on the fight I want to see like Rose and JJ. Wont win much betting on Bisping/GSP. Bisping I believe is the underdog? but not by much. He was the underdog against Silva, Henderson, Rockhold etc. Wins. When will people stop doubting the guy betting against him proves to be a bigger risk lol
You'll win a lot of you bet 1st round Bisping KO.

Not sure why you think the odds are somehow better in JJ/Rose, unless you're (questionably) betting on Rose.

No one could do what Georges did. The closest person is Maia. Stop acting like what he did was easy. That is ridiculous.
Thats your opinion. I like exciting fights. I find his style to be very boring. GSP used to be exciting but he changed after he came back from tapping out to strikes.

Current GOAT.

If he wins vs. Bisping, defends vs. Whittaker then has a superfight vs. Woodley he will be pretty hard to debate against.

LOL @ beating Whittaker

if he beats Bisping he will roll back into retirement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back