Remember Tanner!

oldschoolmmafan

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
9 years this month we lost a great fighter and man Evan Tanner. Can't believe it has been that long. RIP brother.

RIP to an MMA pioneer.

For those interested, here's a sad but well made documentary on his time in the desert:

394Qm3p.gif

Awesome fighter i remember when he served Phil Baroni some humble pie one of my earlier favorite MMA moments

Miss him.. he was a beast! My favorite fighter!

Legend I still remember this like it was yesterday so tragic

Cant believe its been that long, RIP Evan, always 1 of my favourites of all time

I've always been bothered by the fact that when the first (new gen) UFC game came out, they had a whole little RIP thing for that Mask guy from Tapout... And never mentioned a word about Tanner, although he was a playable character in the game

Once I was a champion is a great documentary on Evan Tanners life/fight career.
If you haven't watched it you should.

"1" of my all time favorites.

Infinite respect. The man learned to fight watching instructional video tapes and became a UFC champion.

Franklin had his number but he had a lot of great wins.

My favorite fighter ever

UFC45-EvanTannerXPhilBaroni-1a-Knees-400-sg.gif

Second Baroni fight was the best version of Tanner we ever saw. First fight in the GIF was a great win and great compeback, but in the second he looked like a completely different fighter with sharp boxing, absolutely picked him apart. That version of Tanner could have beaten anyone at that time IMO.

But at the same time the way he went about his career is part of what made him so endearing. He didn't think of himself as a professional fighter, it was just something he did to test himself and make a little money. The dude would just wander around the country on his motorcycle getting drunk and trying to keep his mind occupied. Would get out of shape and go months without training, then would decide he felt like coming back and within a few weeks he was in shape and ready to get in a cage. WAR Tanner.

Back