Every fighter in the UFC is either a striker or a grappler....

'Suga Daddy'

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When it comes down to it. So what would you consider
GSP, Jones, DJ?

Do they fall under striker or grappler?

All 3 of them are wrestlers who can strike but the base behind everything they do it their wrestling/grappling.

I'd go as far as stating that no fighter in the UFC is either of those. It's not 1994

They are MMA fighters who use different game plans for different opponents. I would add Woodley to that list. He is not a striker or a grappler. He uses whatever style is going to bring him victory while taking the least damage.

That is the whole point of MMA.

I'd go as far as stating that no fighter in the UFC is either of those. It's not 1994
No what Im saying is when it comes down to it they are better at one. Its basically what their preference is. For example Aldo: striker, Lamas: Grappler etc

And there is one more category:
nintchdbpict000282370564.jpg

But which one is Woodley?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Last edited:
I would most certainly consider someone who leans strongly towards striking or grappling in terms of offense a "striker" or "grappler."

Striker: JDS, Manuwa, Whittaker, Wonderboy, Conor, Swanson, Lineker, Holm, Joanna etc. We know these guys aren't likely to initiate a grappling exchange

Grappler: fewer ones who are as "pure" as the strikers but there are fighters who are clearly stronger on the grappling side like Oliynyk, Corey The Next Anderson, Jacare, Maia, Khabib, Do Bronx, Caraway, Pena, Esparza

gsp started with kyokushin (3rd dan black belt) before making weekly trips to nyc to train with danaher at renzo's. i wouldn't say he is one or the other, he's proficient in both striking and grappling.

GSP-Karate-Roots.jpg

GSP was successful primarily because of the threat of his TDs, being able to change levels in a cat's wink, being able to establish and maintain top control while easily avoiding submissions, etc...

His grappling set up and aided his striking much more than the reverse.

Back