What age should you start and stop fighting?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
There are so many variables that come into play like damage, weight class, training habits, but I know there are many different camps of thought.

Some people think that the earlier you start the better, and making their debut at age 18-22. The other thought it wait until you are in your mid twenties, and then fight until you are about 35.

Fighters that started before 22.
Sage Northcutt
Jeremy Stephens
Sergio Pettis
Max Holloway

Fighters that started later
Randy Couture
Jimi Manuwa
Daniel Cormier

Is it Better to start younger or older? What numbers would you place as too young or too old?

WW and below seems to have a faster decline with age

Turned pro at 35 just for fun and a hobby.. 39 in two months now, fight in Nov next hopefully. But I still get carded and mistaken for 21, so the youth is def on my side.

But in typical circumstances.. start training as a child, wrestle in hs, do 5-10 am fights and go pro by 22, career winding down by 33-35..

Depends on your weight class.

For medium sized men......(Lightweight to Middleweight divisions), I think starting age 18 as an amateur, 20 at the earliest as a pro, then, if relatively healthy, stopping before age 35.

Depends on your style of fighting, how much damage you took during your career, what his your goal (a belt or simply pay the bills)

Depends on your weight class.

For medium sized men......(Lightweight to Middleweight divisions), I think starting age 18 as an amateur, 20 at the earliest as a pro, then, if relatively healthy, stopping before age 35.
LHW and HW seem to have longer shelf lives, so to speak. You can be 35 in HW and do well since strength and KO power last a lot longer than reflexes and speed. There is even an old saying that boys don't get their "man strength" until they are 30.

Start: As young as possible.

Stop: Before you become a joke.

There is even an old saying that boys don't get their "man strength" until they are 30.

I think I once read an article that said this is partly true for some populations of people, similar to how some men only grow beards after age 30, weird.

I think I once read an article that said this is partly true for some populations of people, similar to how some men only grow beards after age 30, weird.

I think it's generally true for athletes.

Most of the guys in their 20's sort of still look like boys. They generally aren't as beastly as someone in their 30's.

There's no specific age to stop. As TS said, there are many variables. You just gotta be able to see what others see & just except that it's time to do something else.

MEPhq1K.png

Turned pro at 35 just for fun and a hobby.. 39 in two months now, fight in Nov next hopefully. But I still get carded and mistaken for 21, so the youth is def on my side.

But in typical circumstances.. start training as a child, wrestle in hs, do 5-10 am fights and go pro by 22, career winding down by 33-35..

Randy couture didn't even start his mma career till age 34....and look how far he got...

I'm gonna throw a twist in here....I think the more important question is, what's a good age to START fighting. If you wannna wrestle at a young age, go for it, same with BJJ; it's the guys who started boxing at 13 who are now in their 30's and get knocked out by a strong gust of wind. Seriously, start MT or KB when your a little older, it will prolong your career.

I think it's generally true for athletes.

Most of the guys in their 20's sort of still look like boys. They generally aren't as beastly as someone in their 30's.

If by beastly you mean physical strength, that's quite variable. Many fighters are more beastly in their early 30s because of the experience, peak skillset, and still strong body that all together make them look awesome.

You look at many of them, unless they underwent some sudden weight training regiment that they neglected earlier in life, most of the time I see the younger versions just physically more overpowering.

I started training at 17, and I quit at 17. Too much effort for me. So theres proof that even if you start young you can still amount to nothing haha. oh my life :oops::oops::oops::oops:

13 with protection similar to boxing but the full works.

Retire when you cant get paid the big money

Their sparring as young as 10 at our gym, full headgear armour and shin pads

I first fought MMA 2006 over a 2 year period, at 25yrs old.

I'm now 36 and just starting my K1 career. BUT, no fight war injuries. A little slower, but smarter and stronger.

Motivation might be the biggest downfall of most healthy older athletes. The call of the bed beyond early training. The comforts of being in a decent paid job. Why fight?

Start at 20 and stop when you can afford to. The UFC model.

Back