What age should you start and stop fighting?

While the starting ages of many fighters tend to vary, the general retirement age range seems to be about 35-40 since it becomes harder to build muscle after age 40.

Don't ever start. Shit pay and brain damage.

Pro by 20, retire around 36-37, some fighters hit a decline earlier than others, but a well managed career can go a long way, not having fight of the decade every time they fight is a good measure for this.

Older the Better. young guys burn up there bodies before they are even developed

Has any popular UFC fighter actually retired on a winning streak? A. Silva is just fighting now for money and he doesn't care about legacy apparently.

Approximately 720 post a month? What the heck do you do to be able to average over 720 post a month?
I'm about as buzy as you here doing all the math & putting all that attention into my post count. :D

lol... I'm just playing a bit. First... I don't focus on post count at all... In fact Im active in a couple of group chats in PMs where my post count doesn't add up... & active in profile chats n stuff.

To answer your question... long story short... I'm just having fun on Sherdog basically.

I know a lot about MMA having been a UFC fan since the 2nd one. So I chime in on the heavies regularly. My local friendz are just casuals at best... & so Sherdog is a cool place to discuss thingz I've been passionate about for many yearz.

I've participated in almost all the play by playz during events. It's a great way to make up for the gaps between fights & commercialz n stuff.

I am lucky enough to have a lot of Sherbroz who I consider friendz... & we tag each other quite often... & even troll each other a bit when we're on opposite sides of something. :p Me broz have started a few crews of like minded people who backed the same fighter. When you run with a crew & take down the resistance together, you tend to end up rallying from time to time. Right now Conor & Groovy are up to bat... so it's pretty active.

I've also been a Conor fan since day one... in fact I signed up after 196 to counter the over the top stuff people were saying about Conor at the time. You'd be surprised with the amount of convos you get into when the resistance starts tagging you all the time & questioning everything. I had a dude rock up like 15 - 20 times just last night trolling me about Floyd being the winner & anyone who thought otherwise is delusional. lol...

I'm active in the Shoop community.

I'm active in Dragonlordxxxxx 's movie threads. Those discussionz can get quite twisted & lengthy when people start hashing out whether a movie is good or bad. (much like the heavies when discussing certain fighterz :p) It's interesting though... & Brother Dragon keeps us up to speed on the latest breaking newz. PM him if you want to get on some of his notification lists. He will only call you in on threads you sign up for.

Anywayz... truth be known... I probably spend more time on Sherdog than I should... but it's fun. 1st forum I've ever been a part of... & I don't do spacebook & stuff like that. I know people who roll on spacebook around the clock, but I don't do that.

Interestingly, I have a quite active life outside of Sherdog as well, including work & riding motorsicklez, & playing music... & just keeping up a household. It all keeps me buzy & entertained.

I'm about as buzy as you here doing all the math & putting all that attention into my post count. :D

lol... I'm just playing a bit. First... I don't focus on post count at all... In fact Im active in a couple of group chats in PMs where my post count doesn't add up... & active in profile chats n stuff.

To answer your question... long story short... I'm just having fun on Sherdog basically.

I know a lot about MMA having been a UFC fan since the 2nd one. So I chime in on the heavies regularly. My local friendz are just casuals at best... & so Sherdog is a cool place to discuss thingz I've been passionate about for many yearz.

I've participated in almost all the play by playz during events. It's a great way to make up for the gaps between fights & commercialz n stuff.

I am lucky enough to have a lot of Sherbroz who I consider friendz... & we tag each other quite often... & even troll each other a bit when we're on opposite sides of something. :p Me broz have started a few crews of like minded people who backed the same fighter. When you run with a crew & take down the resistance together, you tend to end up rallying from time to time. Right now Conor & Groovy are up to bat... so it's pretty active.

I've also been a Conor fan since day one... in fact I signed up after 196 to counter the over the top stuff people were saying about Conor at the time. You'd be surprised with the amount of convos you get into when the resistance starts tagging you all the time & questioning everything. I had a dude rock up like 15 - 20 times just last night trolling me about Floyd being the winner & anyone who thought otherwise is delusional. lol...

I'm active in the Shoop community.

I'm active in Dragonlordxxxxx 's movie threads. Those discussionz can get quite twisted & lengthy when people start hashing out whether a movie is good or bad. (much like the heavies when discussing certain fighterz :p) It's interesting though... & Brother Dragon keeps us up to speed on the latest breaking newz. PM him if you want to get on some of his notification lists. He will only call you in on threads you sign up for.

Anywayz... truth be known... I probably spend more time on Sherdog than I should... but it's fun. 1st forum I've ever been a part of... & I don't do spacebook & stuff like that. I know people who roll on spacebook around the clock, but I don't do that.

Interestingly, I have a quite active life outside of Sherdog as well, including work & riding motorsicklez, & playing music... & just keeping up a household. It all keeps me buzy & entertained.
this is an awesome answer. I was just curious

Start whenever you want. Quit when it is obvious you will never be a top 10 fighter in your weight class. Once you make the big money get out once you get your ass handed to you

this is an awesome answer. I was just curious
Haha... thanx... I had a bit of time & thought the question waz pretty interesting... so I gave it a full response. My posts per month are probably a bit excessive... but I'm having fun so mission accomplished.

Depends on how much damage you have taken and if you still have a chin. Once you start getting KTFO every fight , its time to hang them up.

Haha... thanx... I had a bit of time & thought the question waz pretty interesting... so I gave it a full response. My posts per month are probably a bit excessive... but I'm having fun so mission accomplished.
If I posted in as many threads my post count would be much higher

Depends on what your goal is. If just want a pay check, fight until you can't fight anymore. If you want a legacy, fight until you start losing more than you win or drop more than 3 in a row without improvement. I don't think age makes a difference (to a certain point), it's more about how long many years you put into fighting.

I should've started training at 23 right after I came home from the military. Pro by 26 or 27 would've been cool. I'm 32 now with years of boxing with some mma experience. (All you youngs guys should start now.)

In my fantasies I started fighting at age 20 and stopped at 24, to continue my college career without distractions..., a sort of almost ostentatious "I need to settle down now n focus" reasoning behind it....:)

yh dudes in the 30s are usually more solid/strong but not quite as fast and have less vitality for recovery and shaking off injures etc

I think also it's a case of after 30-32 the body declines slowly, which means you can stay at your level easy enough but you won't get better...so unless you are right at the top already or the champ, many fighters will call it a day knowing that they have done what they can in the sport and that it won't really get any better than that.

Right on brother. I've had talks with DC and Faber too, about longevity and age, in this career choice. But for me, I taught combatives in the Army and wrestled in hs and college, so my whole goal with fighting mma, was to obtain an actual fight resume, so I can open a gym one day. I didn't want to be that guy who opened a mma gym and has never took a pro fight before. I still work over 50hrs a week at a 9-5, and truly only turned pro for fun and after losing my last am fight, I didn't wanna lose for "free" again. Turned in 2013, fought for both WFC orgs, a regional org at the Sturgis rally, Dragon House Cage Series, MMA Fight Night, and have been contacted by Bellator (vs Aaron Pico at 183), Gladiator Challenge and King of The Cage.. but I took some time off to fight cancer and a couple injuries from my body breaking down with cancer, healthy again, just passed my medicals and looking to fight next in Nov.

Good luck to you...train hard...

I should've started training at 23 right after I came home from the military. Pro by 26 or 27 would've been cool. I'm 32 now with years of boxing with some mma experience. (All you youngs guys should start now.)
It's def not too late bro..

Back