The Dangerous Thing About Letting Fighters Go Unconscious...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is that even one death from a choke could END MMA. Fighters have a twisted mentality of what it means to be tough. They will do things to their own detriment just so they can live to say "I am tough. I didn't tap."

Look at Michael Chandler this past weekend, he actually thought he could beat another killer (who was actually fighting smart) using one leg.

So, if I am a fighter watching Chiesa vs Lee, and I see "Ok, I guess Chiesa wants me to squeeze until he passes out," why I shouldn't crank that choke to the max as soon as I get it?

What if you have a fighter with Paul Harris' mentality, who specializes in RNCs, do we really need fighters going in the cage with the mentality of "I have to squeeze so hard until he dies" to get an undisputed victory?

Passing out from a choke is NEVER a good thing. All it takes is one fighter desperate for money fighting while not in the best shape, getting into a tight choke with the mentality of "I will not tap and the ref better let me pass out" dying in the Octagon, and this MMA thing will either get shutdown with the quickness or drastically changed for the worst.

Let us not encourage these fighters to make STUPID decisions. Many fighters are not even capable of proper decision making after a couple of rounds of constant blows to the dome.

EZCRL.gif

If you believe that you better be campaigning for a rule change rather than justifying this win.

Do you understand the difference between a blood choke and a wind choke? Failing that, do you understand the difference between passing out and dying?

It actually take more than a minute without oxygen to have permanent damage to your brain

The only way something bad could happen to a fighter who doesnt tap to a choke is if he already have a pre existing condition

If you believe that you better be campaigning for a rule change rather than justifying this win.
I don't need to justify the win.

Something happened in two fights in that card that made me think about this silly idea fighters have of being "tough." I have made a thread on this topic before, and I think it was sent to the Wasteland.

It is an important question that needs to be discussed. This is a sport after all. You don't have to die in the cage to prove how tough you are.

giphy.gif

Yeah so let's have the refs start stopping fights every time a fighter looks like they will pass out, that'll go over well.

Btw have you ever heard of someone dying from a rnc in bjj class or competition? Probably not because it has never happened.

Talking about death is taking it too far.

I agree with your stance last night Mikey but going all the way to death is just talking too extreme. It takes a lot more time to start worrying about that shit.

Most people go unconscious every night. Sometimes multiple times in a 24 hour period. It's completely normal.

You understand that a blood choke simply manual induces the exact same physiological response, right?

Do you understand the difference between a blood choke and a wind choke? Failing that, do you understand the difference between passing out and dying?
I guess Tim Hague didn't understand the difference between getting KO unconscious and dying.

It is always a joke until it happens, then people want to start making threads about "RIP you were warrior."

People are interesting.

Most people go unconscious every night. Sometimes multiple times in a 24 hour period. It's completely normal.

You understand that a blood choke simply manual induces the exact same physiological response, right?
I don't think you know what you are talking about. There is difference between physiologic sleep and going unconscious.

I am done with this thread. HAHAHA It is not going to work

you need to be held in a choke for a while after going out to die theres nothing to worry about unless the ref is so incompetent that they let the choke go for over a minute after its over

There would be many examples of people dying after going out to a choke in training if there was even a small chance of dying from it

Reminds me of this video I saw a while back where a dude gets choked out in a street fight and the other guy just doesn't let go for over a minute. Sickened me to my stomach.

Chokes are not the problem. Head trauma is the dangerous one.

Talking about death is taking it too far.

I agree with your stance last night Mikey but going all the way to death is just talking too extreme. It takes a lot more time to start worrying about that shit.
It is extreme but draindamage can occur very quickly after being choked unconsious

I don't think you know what you are talking about. There is difference between physiologic sleep and going unconscious.

I am done with this thread. HAHAHA It is not going to work

Never got a TS to abandon his own thread before. Just started work, already a good day.

Back