Can Weidman stand with Gastelum?

EricaLovesUFC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know Weidman has stood with some elite strikers and more than held his own. But they were aging strikers past their prime. Haven't seen Gastelum fight much, but his striking seems crisper and more explosive than Weidman's.

Kelvin is younger and faster but The Chris The Whiteman has a big height and I assume reach advantage, will be interesting at least.

Probably for a round.

Then gassy mcgassy gasses.

My boy's stand up is still real to me so yes!

Maybe for a minute or two but not for too long. If Chris tastes Kelvin's power, he's gonna shoot for the takedown like he did with moose.

Kelvin has looked fast and sharp while Weidman seemingly plods, with a great burst.

I would favor Kelvin in the stand-up at this point.

how pumped is kelvin he gets to fight weedman

feels like that Machida fight was for-fucking-ever ago, doesn't it? some blame USADA. i cannot help but think that his many injuries & surgeries had a lot to do with it.

but whyever it is, the answer is no.

and since i don't think he'll beat Gastelum in the first 2 rounds, i have no choice left but to think he's going to lose.

i wonder what a gastelum / mayweather parlay pays? EDIT: damn, close to even money....

Last edited:
Kelvin continues to impress, while Weidman seems to be in a rough spot. You'd think he is due for something going his way, but Gastelum has danger written all over him right now. He has the skills to hold the belt, he just needs to find his focus. I'm curious to see if Weidman can out grapple Gastelum. Slinging with him probably isn't the best approach at this point in their respective careers.

Kelvin's Legends Ass Kicking Tour continues, and he makes it look easy.

Weidman stood with Silva - 2X. I think he can stand with Gastelum.

Gastelum will knock Weidman back into February ,....again.....

Very bad match up right now for the Chris IMO
Hope he pulls the win but I wouldn't bet on that

It's amazing that we're asking whether or not a guy who KO'd Anderson Silva and stood with Machida can stand with Kelvin Gastelum, but here we are. Shows how far The Chris has fallen.

Weidman stood with Silva - 2X. I think he can stand with Gastelum.

Pre USADA, he's looked like dogshit since. Luke exposed him and its been downhill for Weidman

Kelvin 1-2 > anything silva has ever thrown, you'll see
Thanks man. Havent had a good laugh like this in a while. Anderson will just be keeping Kelvins seat warm in the Hall of Fame.

Kelvin 1-2 > anything silva has ever thrown, you'll see

Love Kelvin, but don't be an idiot. Silva in his prime was one of the most feared men in MMA with laser precision counters.

Thanks man. Havent had a good laugh like this in a while. Anderson will just be keeping Kelvins seat warm in the Hall of Fame.

Kelvin has the talent to be something special, he's young and still has ways to go before reaching his full potential.

i dunno.

but like weidman, most of gastelums wins are also over older dudes or guys who are just completely shot.

• ellenberger (shot)
  • marquardt (shot)
  • hendricks (decent win, hendricks was coming off that beating by wonderboy then lost his next fight though)
  • kennedy (another decent win, kennedy was coming off a 2 year layoff and isn't that young either though)
  • belfort (shot)

Back