Can Weidman stand with Gastelum?

i dunno.

but like weidman, most of gastelums wins are also over older dudes or guys who are just completely shot.

• ellenberger (shot)
  • marquardt (shot)
  • hendricks (decent win, hendricks was coming off that beating by wonderboy then lost his next fight though)
  • kennedy (another decent win, kennedy was coming off a 2 year layoff and isn't that young either though)
  • belfort (shot)

He beat Story, Hall, Musoke, and IMO thought he tied with Magny or even edged him. And he was only 22-23 years old with mainly wrestling as his base, to make the progressive he has with his striking in a short span is remarkable.

It remains to be seen how much three consecutive TKO defeats have taken out of him, but he might be able to hold his own for a while with Kelvin as long as he doesn't try this again.
PitifulNecessaryCougar.gif

It's amazing that we're asking whether or not a guy who KO'd Anderson Silva and stood with Machida can stand with Kelvin Gastelum, but here we are. Shows how far The Chris has fallen.

Don't think it is The Chris who is the problem in this case.

<33>

kelvin has better stand up compare to the chris. i still think kelvin will win this fight in the 3rd round.

The Chris, keys to victory - Grab a hold of Gastelum. Use size advantage to put him on his back and keep him there while using GnP to finish him.

Gastelum keys to victory - make The Chris work for everything. Make him chase the TD's while punishing him. If he gets the TD make him grapple and work and not just maintain top control while doing elbows. Make him work and slow and when he gasses take over.

Weidman either wins this fight in the first 1.5 rounds or he gets finished before the end of the 3rd.

The other possibility is an ugly decision where Gastelum is destroying Weidman and about to finish him in the 3rd but runs out of time and the judges have each guy at 1.5 rounds each even though Gastelum did far more damage and was close to a finish.

I think kelvin is the rightful favorite at this point but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see chris clinch wrestle and out grind kelvin to a decision. All i can see kelvin doing is out boxing him. Let's not forget chris has taken down everyone he's fought.

Who has kelvin ever beat that was a good striker in their prime?

People are overlooking Weidman a lot these days..
Dude has an iron chin and his stand up is really good especially his distance management
He also has power and huge height/reach advantage over Kelvin.. and most probably is a good lot stronger which will serve him in the clinch/graplling exchanges

Gastelum is a beast but to me it looks like his biggest test to date by far, especially considering he won't have the " TD threat " he usually
has to help his striking against pure strikers...

Kevin will get that standing TKO. Mazzagati will intervene will Chris is getting lit up, then Chris will protest the stoppage and give us some shpiel about "doing it for you guys"

Of course on each fighter's respective current run, the bookies favourite will certainly be Gastelum and it's hard not to be swayed by that myself so naturally I am expecting Kelvin to win.

Weidman stood with Silva - 2X. I think he can stand with Gastelum.

Well yes he did you're right and whilst I'm not going to discredit that win, Silva was clowning HUGELY in the first fight and got caught clowning and KOd. Not even intelligent ducking/weaving, just plain dicking about.

And obviously the second fight was a freak occurence. Put it down to Silva not checking kick properly or whatever, but there again you're putting the onus on Silva rather than Chris.

He beat Story, Hall, Musoke, and IMO thought he tied with Magny or even edged him. And he was only 22-23 years old with mainly wrestling as his base, to make the progressive he has with his striking in a short span is remarkable.

You're right during his run-up to the title he made huge leaps in skill and was consistently evolving which was very impressive and commendable. But obviously since his loss to Rockhold something has gone slightly wrong for him.

Gastelum keys to victory - make The Chris work for everything. Make him chase the TD's while punishing him. If he gets the TD make him grapple and work and not just maintain top control while doing elbows. Make him work and slow and when he gasses take over.

A lot of people are saying this. Suggesting Weidman will gas or Kelvin should out-work him. Wasn't Kelvin heavily criticsed before his last appearance as being lazy and not hard-working. Now suddenly everyone's assuming he's an expert endurance/cardio fighter who can outwork his opponents?

It's amazing that we're asking whether or not a guy who KO'd Anderson Silva and stood with Machida can stand with Kelvin Gastelum, but here we are. Shows how far The Chris has fallen.
Like a brick, tied to a cinder block, attached to an anchor....smh

Kelvin will tko him and Weidman will come up with another excuse to why he lost.

He might be able to but if his recent fights offer any clues, Weidman will probably spend the first round taking Gastellum down over and over and then be gassed and to tired to strike much in the 2nd round, enroute to getting finished in the 3rd.

I know Weidman has stood with some elite strikers and more than held his own. But they were aging strikers past their prime. Haven't seen Gastelum fight much, but his striking seems crisper and more explosive than Weidman's.
Weidman stood with Anderson fucking Silva. Why make these threads?

Weidman should be fighting someone like Sam Alvey. The guy gets TKOd 3 fights in a row and then gets matched up against a prospect on a win streak. I guess they're using Weidman as a stepping stone of Gastelum.

Back