Gustafsson: one of the baddest LHW on the planet... How would the second Jones fight go nowadays?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
17 wins and only 4 losses... to Jones, DC, Rumble and Davis. Nothing to be ashamed of.

But he doesn´t get the respect he deserves. People keep saying he is only remembered because of his loss to Jones. But let´s not forget many people gave that fight to Gus (including me), and if you consider Jones had the ped advantage, that fight should´ve gone to Gus.

A KO loss to Rumble??? So what?? That happened to (almost) everybody not called DC.

Also his loss against DC was a split decision, in a fight where he came closer to finishing than DC. But DC has a granite chin.
sGpFwmv.gif

This Sunday he fights Teixeira, who´s one of the toughest LHW in the roster.... but I won´t be surprised if he beats Teixeira in dominant fashion although I´m rooting for Teixeira.

And if Jones beats DC and Gus beats Glover, then we get ourselves that long awaited rematch.

How different would the second fight against a clean Jones go, in your opinion?? Who would win?

Thoughts?

he looked awful in his last fight, resorted to panic wrestling.
let's see how he looks against Tex.
i am hoping for a resurgence of the Mauler to ignite some much needed fire into the LHW division.

Dick Pill cheater Jones could not wipe his own ass after the first fight by his own words. In a rematch Jones without PEDs ends probably dieded.

he looked awful in his last fight, resorted to panic wrestling.
let's see how he looks against Tex.
i am hoping for a resurgence of the Mauler to ignite some much needed fire into the LHW division.
i would argue he looked exactly the same; his fight with Blachowicz was practically a mirror image of his fight with Thiago Silva in (help me wiki) 2012.

and i know you use 'panic wrestling' just for comedic entertainment, but the fact is he's often used wrestling when he thinks it's too his advantage (maybe he should have against AJ :)). and he almost never gets finishes from the ground; he keeps control, eats clock and wins points.

to answer your question TS, he's #3, and i look forward to his rematches with #1 & #2 (assuming he doesn't lose to #4 Glover). but after his loss to AJ he fell off the map in many fans' minds, ala Werdum (v JDS or v Stipe take your pick)

Last edited:
i would argue he looked exactly the same; his fight with Blachowicz was practically a mirror image of his fight with Thiago Silva in (help me wiki) 2012.

and i know you're 'panic wrestling' is just for comedic entertainment, but the fact is he's often used wrestling when he thinks it's too his advantage (maybe he should have against AJ :)). and he almost never gets finishes from the ground, instead he just eats clock and wins points.

to answer your question TS, he's #3, and i look forward to his rematches with #1 & #2 (assuming he doesn't lose to #4 Glover). but after his loss to AJ he fell off the map in many fans' minds, ala Werdum (v JDS or v Stipe take your pick)
Yes, I think his attitude after his Rumble loss was what triggered people the most.

By the way, how do you think his fight against Tex will be like? A back and forth war or a dominant performance by one of them?

i just hate that the fight is in sweden. i bet he underperformes bc of the homefield pressure. should win a UD, but he will most likely eat some bombs and get semi rocked a long the way.

Yes, I think his attitude after his Rumble loss was what triggered people the most.

By the way, how do you think his fight against Tex will be like? A back and forth war or a dominant performance by one of them?

i think Gus will outwork him and win a decision. Texiera hits hard, Gus needs to keep from slipping.

i also think Gus will win several rounds by (to quote fish) "panic wrestling"

He lacks real KO power in his hands. If he had that he'd be a champ but he doesnt

I'm not even sure he beats Glover. His defense is awful, he runs when attacked and had trouble with Jan in his last fight.

He's talked about retirement and his layoffs aren't doing him any good. I like the guy but I think his run is over.

It goes worse for Gus, I'm fairly certain of that

Eh...Gus is ok. Nothing special. Almost beating Jones is his claim to fame. He got beat by DC and destroyed by Rumble. He's not one the baddest LHWs on the planet.

If Gus has to resort to panic wrestling against Glover hell lose

Back