Who has the better pure BJJ, Fabricio Werdum, Jacare Souza, Ryan Hall, or Damien Maia?

Who has the better pure BJJ, Fabrico Werdum, Ryan Hall, or Damien Maia?

• Total voters

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
These four are probably the highest level guys in the UFC when it comes to BJJ. Imo Damien Maia has the best MMA BJJ, but in terms of pure grappling which one is the best?

Last edited:
Maia is the better grappler. Werdum can't wrestle for his life, but he probably has better raw BJJ. Ryan Hall is not on their level

Good call. I forgot about Jacare. I added him to the poll.
Changed my vote to him.
He and Maia are 1-1 at blackbelt, but Jacare has more wins, accomplishments and tournaments, less losses, more submissions, and beat better guys

Changed my vote to him.
He and Maia are 1-1 at blackbelt, but Jacare has more wins, accomplishments and tournaments, less losses, more submissions, and beat better guys

Word. I don't really know a whole hell of a lot about the BJJ scene. I know who a handful of good guys are and I've watched a few events, but I'm not as informed about the grappling world as I am about MMA or Boxing.

Word. I don't really know a whole hell of a lot about the BJJ scene. I know who a handful of good guys are and I've watched a few events, but I'm not as informed about the grappling world as I am about MMA or Boxing.
At his best Jacare was at one point rivaling Roger (and Marcelo) as the best p4p BJJ guy on the planet. I don't know, someone else might, if Maia was ever rated that highly.

It's between Jacare and Maia. Jacare is more accomplished than Maia, but he's a bit bigger, as well.

There is some serious misunderstanding in this thread: Maia is great and he has fantastic MMA BJJ, also he is one of my favorite fighters. But in pure BJJ credentials he is FAR beyond Jacare or Werdum. He was never an IBJJF world champ nor an ADCC champ.

Maia, due to his hybrid style, and lack of striking.

Jacare has incredible BJJ credentials, but he also implements a decent striking game in MMA, whereas Maia is nearly 100% grappling / jitz.

Jacare. Maia has the best offensive BJJ for mma. Werdum has the best defensive BJJ for mma by far.

Maia. The guy isn't the most well-rounded fighter but that damn grappling just gets it done. Give the man his title shot.

Jacare is the best pure grappler credential wise. Who ever picked Maia over jacare are pretty ignorant to all greats bjj players.

Back