'Big' John McCarthy goes into great detail regarding the Mousasi/Weidman controversy

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
“What everybody’s not looking at is, they all look and say, ‘Oh, that’s unfair to Chris Weidman,'” McCarthy told MMAjunkie Radio. “In a way, it kind of is to a point. But no, it’s unfair to Gegard Mousasi. Mousasi is the guy that got screwed over, except for the ending. Because Mousasi does things that are all legal for him to do, and he hurts – we’ll say – Chris, because Chris is going to say, ‘I’m hurt.’

“And if you’re going to say, ‘I’m hurt,’ I’m going to say, ‘OK, you’re hurt.’ He did it legally. And now they’re taking him away from you to hurt you more, and giving you time to recover from something that was legal. That’s bad. That’s the bad part.”

Now on to Miragliotta: While McCarthy agrees that he made a mistake, he thinks it was a highly understandable one given positioning, the quick decision process and the fact that, unlike the commentators, he only got to see it once – from one angle. (He also clarified that Miragliotta is a great guy, a great referee and his glorious tan is all-natural – none of that baking yourself in a bed nonsense. You know, in case you were wondering.)

“When that happened, I’m sitting there, and I have a different angle,” McCarthy said. “If you go back and you look, and this is what happens and this is why people go, ‘The referee is the close one. He sees it.’ Everything is depending upon your placement and your positioning. He’s in a position where he’s starting to move and the fighters start to move, because if you look at it, Weidman had had Mousasi in a mount, and then Mousasi rolls out of it and comes up, and then Weidman gets down.

“Mousasi has his head down, and Weidman goes and puts his hand on the ground in a way that is not part of what we’re going to say is a grounded fighter, because we want fighters to get away from what they’re doing. In that situation, we want (to say), ‘Chris Weidman, put your knee to the ground. Use your hands to defend yourself. That’s what they’re there for.'”

Clearly unhappy with Weidman’s hand usage, McCarthy went further into the meaning of what exactly constitutes a grounded fighter in the state of New York. And, unless you want to risk having “your head upper-cutted into the first row” by using your hands to achieve that purpose, he offers some advice.

“If you’re on your feet and you wanted to make yourself grounded by putting your hands down, you would have to put both hands, palms down or fist down baring weight to make yourself grounded,” McCarthy said. “So what I’m telling you is, ‘Don’t ever (expletive) do that.’

“Only if you fall to that point, that’s the only time I want to see that.We did that in putting that rule in place because we didn’t want someone that was hurt falling forward, and have a guy be able to come up and soccer kick or punt them to the face.

“The rule has been working beautifully everywhere. It’s hard for athletic commission people to understand, because how many fights do they do? But I do fights every week, multiple times a week, everywhere. And it’s been freaking awesome. We’ve gotten guys to get away from doing this stupid thing of putting one hand down and thinking they’re safe. It’s changed what they’re doing.”

“Chris is in a point where he doesn’t understand it the way he needs to understand it – and he puts his fingertips down to the ground,” McCarthy said. “Fingertips do not make you grounded. And in the position that I was at, I couldn’t see his one hand, but I could see his hand with his fingertips. So I as soon as Dan called it, I said, ‘That was legal.’ And then Dan came over, I throw to him, and I say, ‘Dan, he said ‘Did you see it?” I said ‘Yes. It’s legal. What he did was legal. You need to tell Chris that if he stays with what he’s doing, he’s going to lose this fight by TKO.’

“Chris’ corner is telling him, ‘Chris, you have time. Chris, stay down.’ They’re milking something for their fighter, and I don’t blame them. And Chris is listening to them. Chris is as tough an individual as you’re going to get. He’s an incredible athlete, and he’s an incredible fighter, but he’s in the midst of this. He knows he got hit, but he has his corner telling him this. What’s he going to do? He’s going to start following what his corner is saying.

“So when they bring their ringside physician in and the physician talks to Chris, he says ‘What month is it?’ And Chris says ‘February.’ Now, does he do it on purpose, or does he do it because he really doesn’t know? We can’t say, but right away, when they came back and say, ‘Hey, that’s good,’ he said, ‘Hey, it’s April 8.’ He knew the date right away. All right, he’s trying to play a game with it a little bit, we’ll say. But he played himself into a loss. And that’s what other fighters need to look at too. ”

More:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/04/sit-do...school-you-on-the-mousasi-weidman-controversy

Last edited:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah the whole reason they added the new rule was to get fighters to stop doing what Chris did. He's just stuck in the old rules mentality, and I do think he was hurt too.

After this fight I think fighters will quit playing that game

The whole point was missed. There are NO instant replays in the UFC. Could you imagine the can of worms that is opened now that they have done so? Would big John like to be second guessed on every call he's made with instant replay? I think not. Miragliotta was the ref, not big John. You absolutely have to stand by the call that's made by the ref that's in the cage, right, wrong or indifferent. Once again, there is NO instant replay.

The ref phucked up by stopping it and telling Weidman to take his time, but in the end, it was Chris HIMSELF who didn't even know what MONTH it was when asked by doctors.

The fight was rightfully scored a TKO win for Moose when all was said & done.

" polling " / end of discussion.
Gegard whooped that ass- and shame on Chris for saying that Mousasi kept his cornermen from raising flag cause he didn't want to win that way.

Mousasi told his brother down with the flag because he understood he was in New York and fucking reeks with class. As everything was going down, he knew what Chris was trying to do yet Gegard took the high road , took his deserved win and got out of dodge and WAITED till post presser to tell the world that it was obvious that Weidman didn't want to fight...

He did everything correct on his end and it's not his fault that Chris was all but begging for DQ

The whole point was missed. There are NO instant replays in the UFC. Could you imagine the can of worms that is opened now that they have done so? Would big John like to be second guessed on every call he's made with instant replay? I think not. Miragliotta was the ref, not big John. You absolutely have to stand by the call that's made by the ref that's in the cage, right, wrong or indifferent. Once again, there is NO instant replay.

New York State Athletic Commission came out last week that they do use instant replay.

Also, here's another quote from Big John from the article on what you're referring to:

“You have a lot of people saying, ‘That’s wrong. If you make the decision, go with the decision,'” McCarthy said. “I agree with that, until you know that the decision is wrong. Would you imagine if you had that fight, and Gegard goes and does this action? It’s legal, and he loses the fight because of it? You’re going to tell me that’s right? That sits good with you? ‘Oh, he can go to the commission and get it overturned.’ No, Gegard won that fight legally.”

Much love to Big John, but he's covering his ass here.

He's the one who overruled Big Dan.

Dan made a mistake- it was a very close call - something that could have gone either way in real-time. These things happen all the time in sports.

He's got to live with his mistake. Yea it sucks for Mousasi, but the referee can't break procedures and overturn his call even though in the court of ethics it would be the right thing to do... cause the court of law follows certain legislation and you can't extend beyond it to serve up a Batman-type of justice.

All in all, glad the right call was made, but how it was made was without a doubt wrong.

It makes no difference. The fight was stopped because Weidman took a knee and was hurt.

When a fight is stopped due to a strike that is legal, it is ruled a (T)KO.

And that's what happened.

Great interview. No one wants to be in a situation like that, but it was the best outcome IMO. Glad they got it right.

Weidman got exposed. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Legit win for The Moose

Wrong, the NYSAC CAN use instand replay and it's perfectly legal to consult another referee or official to come to the correct conclusion in a sanctioned fight.

You're welcome.

I don't see anything about instant replay in his comments; he says he was in a better position than Miragliotta to see Weidman's hands. He also says Miragliotta asked him what he had seen, so it doesn't sound like M. felt he was being "second guessed."

Sweet, I was just thinking I needed more salt on my fries!

Everybody is so mad about this, did you really want to see the next 5 knees impact his head too?

He seems like the kind of guy that cant afford to diminish his cognitive capabilities any further...

Big John just said he saw it with his own eyes so you can drop the instant replay excuse.

Plus they aren't denying Dan M made a mistake. If Weidman didn't play the game maybe they'd have let him continue due to the confusion.

Big John just said he saw it with his own eyes so you can drop the instant replay excuse.

Plus they aren't denying Dan M made a mistake. If Weidman didn't play the game maybe they'd have let him continue due to the confusion.

So what, should they interview all the fans in the stands and take a vote on it. The point is, he's not the ref in the cage and as far as I know he hasn't been appointed the guy to make the calls outside the cage. Are you all so blind you can't see what a mess this becomes? Should Big John be the final say all? Should he out rule the guy in the cage? Should we have a panel of judges outside the cage to form a consensus as to what is legal or illegal? Should we stop the fight every time one of the "panel" decides that they see something the ref in the cage doesn't? It won't work. Period. It would be a huge mess. You should be able to see from this one incident that it doesn't work.

Back