Changing the average MMA fans perspective on Terry Etim

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In light of his recent unfortunate downward spiral and alleged suicide attempt. It's time to maybe change the defining moment of his career. Unfortunately, we all know Etim as being on the receiving end of whats considered the greatest knockout in UFC history via Edson Barboza wheel kick. Any time an Edson has a fight lined up, you can guarantee that Etim's name will be on twitter because of the constant replays of that knockout.

While fans will mostly remember him for that KO, it's time to maybe talk about the better things that have happened in his career.

1. Terry Etim's 5th professional fight was refereed by Mike Tyson (Tyson's only time as a ref in Pro MMA or boxing). Etim finished the fight in under 1 minute

2. Terry Etim holds the 5th fastest submission in UFC history. A 17 second guillotine over Faaloloto in front of a sold out crowd in his hometown of liverpool. The whole arena stood up in applause and the cheers were deafening

3. Was one of the first Englishman to have success in the UFC. Many forget but he was one of the reasons why the UFC started scouting more talent in Europe. Bisping had a lot of success but his countrymen couldnt mimic the same results. Terry Etim along with Hardy, Pearson, and Paul Sass were one of the few brits to join the world rankings.

4. Had a 4 fight win streak in the UFC and was on the verge of being a contender before being taken out with a severe knee injury

5. Won MMA Submission of the year with his submission win over Team Alpha Male headcoach Justin Bucholz at UFC 99. Terry Etim became the first or second fighter in UFC history to submit someone with a D'arce choke. Etim was dropped and almost KO'ed in the 1st round, but had a sensational comeback submission in the 2nd. Etim's win propelled the d'arce choke into popularity (seriously), DIRECTLY after Etim hit it...Dustin Poirier began using it as his specialty, Chris Weidman tapped Lawlor, KZ tapped Poirier with it, Tony Ferguson holds the record for most D'arce chokes, Masvidal tapped Chiesa with it. Basically before Etim, no one knew the move existed. After Etim hit it...it's been done in the UFC over 20 times now.

6. His only 2 stoppage losses are to former UFC LW Champ RDA and current top 5 ranked Edson Barboza. His other losses are to perenial top 10 LW Gleison Tibau, Rich Clementi (who holds a stoppage over Rumble).

With more time and possibly moving to a bigger camp instead of staying stuck in his unknown gym training with lower level sparring partners, its crazy to think where he could have been. The man has done great things in MMA. Even though he'll always be known for the wheel kick KO, the dude was a standout fighter who did amazing things with only 20 fights.

Very nice read TS, and a nice thought behind it, I'm not going to look this up but I hardly knew anything about the guy.

The part about etim making the darce popular made me lol.

I remember Joe talking about how much potential he had, likening him to a young GSP.

I thought he was going to be something.

The part about etim making the darce popular made me lol.

What do you think made the move popular then? He was either the 1st or 2nd guy to hit it, he got it on the prelims for the world to see, he won submission of the year...and after that win it's been hit close to 20 times since by other fighters. Before Etim, it was hit once or never in the history of the UFC. There were DOZENS of articles on the submission he hit soon after.

What do you think made the move popular then? He was either the 1st or 2nd guy to hit it, he got it on the prelims for the world to see, he won submission of the year...and after that win it's been hit close to 20 times since by other fighters. Before Etim, it was hit once or never in the history of the UFC. There were DOZENS of articles on the submission he hit soon after.

Where do you think he learned it from? It's been around for ages.

Drysdale made it super popular when he tapped Marcelinho with it at adcc.

Etim did not make the darce popular. He may have made casual mma fans crap their pants with it, but the moves been around the grappling world for a long time.

All very impressive TS and best wishes to Etim for a full recovery but it's still the kick.

Drysdale made it super popular when he tapped Marcelinho with it at adcc.

Etim did not make the darce popular. He may have made casual mma fans crap their pants with it, but the moves been around the grappling world for a long time.
Etim is the Darce GOAT.

wait he attempted suicide? man that sad I always wondered how it must feel being on the receiving end of a legendary knockout, or only being known for the guy who got spinning wheel kicked in the face. hope the best for him

Mike Tyson refs like an old lady that's lost and scared at the mall.

He may have made casual mma fans crap their pants with it, but the moves been around the grappling world for a long time.
So... you are admitting that he made the move popular then

P.S. WTF was that standup by Tyson. It went to the ground for like 4 seconds lol

So... you are admitting that he made the move popular then

He may have shown people who have never stepped in the gym before or grappled the move for the first time, sure.

But That's like saying barboza popularized the spinning wheel kick lmao.

After drysdale subbed Marcelo with it, everyone was trying it in the gym while the Brazilians were shrugging and saying it's just a brabo choke.

giphy.gif

The faaaalaaaloto fight was a flawless performance. That's what he should be remembered for

people dont like terry etim? i thought he was well liked

If i recall correctly his low kicks had a nice snap to them also. I always thought he showed potential

Back