Time to end this When is a Champ a Champ? Poll

When is a Champ a Champ

• Total voters

Paynebringer

The Titanium Ape... Always Defend ♠♠♠
@plutonium
Reaction score
I've gone back & forth with a few here on this subject I'm old school and believe you not a "Undisputed Champ" until you lock down your belt with a successful title defense. Until then your title will always be disputed lets face it any hump can win a belt, but not every hump can defend one time and time again.

The example I use is two people run for the presidency one winz the election they now call that person President elect until he's confirmed.

Two fighters go at it one wins he's declared New or Still Champion, if new he's holding that belt & title but in my eyez he's a title holder until he confirms that he can not only win a belt but also defend it to be truly called "Undisputed" without question. Winning belts is a two part process you win and then defend

This is not to diminish those one and done Champs Holly Holm, Miesha Tate, Fabrico Werdum, Matt Serra, Eddie Alvarez. No one can take away that moment from them and no one can take that sour taste of being a one & done Champ and future trivia question...

Never, not even with 10 defenses

Its all a fluke since ufc 1

Last edited:
You're the champ when you have won the belt.

Anyone saying otherwise is factually wrong.

Conor has 0 title defenses. He is a fraud of champions.

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice. I don't care who we are talking about. Come at me bro.

When they win the belt, duh.

Like Flair once said "To the be the man, Woo! You gotta beat the man, Woo!"

<20>

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice.
Takes more than luck to get yourself into title contention...although others have done more than Conor and not received title shots

Sports teams don't have to defend in order to be known as the champion, neither should fighters.

Once you're champ, you're champ.

Defenses or not.

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice. I don't care who we are talking about. Come at me bro.

So the Broncos aren't the current champions? Or the cavs? Or the Cubs? Once you win, you won and you're the champ.

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice.

is conor a champ? he's won 2 title fights and an interim title fight.

you're a champion when you've won the championship. that's how it works. now how much credibility you put in the champ is dependent on the circumstances.

You're the champ when you have won the belt.

Anyone saying otherwise is factually wrong.

I completely agree.

What they do with British boxing championship belts is cool though you only get to keep the belt if you defend it 3 times. It doesn't change your status as champion, obviously as soon as you win a title fight you're the British champion but you have to defend it 3 times to keep the Lonsdale Belt.

UFC fans are the only sport fans that think being a champ is something that has no time limit.

You're only a champ because you beat a specific opponent on a specific day, if you don't repeat similar feats soon then it has no value.

Will the next year's F1 champion be a paper champion just because he won't beat Nico Rosberg for it?

I think you're confusing Champion with successful or dominating Champion. You win the belt then you're the champ, it's really not that complicated.

You win the belt you're a champ in name.
You're just as special as Dave Menne, congrats

Defend that shit like a real man. Too much luck in MMA, and style matters more than any other sport.

The most impressive thing in MMA is not winning the belt, its defending the belt.

Well why do they bother giving you a belt when you win a title fight instead of keeping it until you win your first defense?
There's no need to come at you, just to read how stupid what you've written is.

Neither option reflects Conor's situation, imo (not a knock on your poll). Conor beat Mendes since Aldo was injured, and that was for the title of "champ for the time being", meaning the current champ then, since real champ didn't show up. That was a legit Interim title fight. And he Unified it vs Aldo. So that technically counts as a defense (or proving his worth).

While it's different if you get a gift title shot, somehow get the upset like Serra, and then get stomped in your first defense and never win the belt back. So Conor needs to prove more at LW than FW.

By winning the belt.
But you stop being champ by clearly avoid defending it IMO.

Back