How did shields out grapple Maia?

themainman

Like nobody has ever seen before!
@red
Reaction score
I don't wanna rewatch the fight, mainly cause it was boring as fuck, but that amazes me.

I know shields is great on the ground but still. Btw shields trains American jiu jitsu, what are some noticeable differences in that vs bjj

Shields is an interesting cat. Great jiu-jitsu. Not so great takedowns, terrible striking, great chin, and good in the wrestling aspect of the clinch.

Shields is a boss on the ground and has weight and strength over Maia.

Shields also has world class jitz and wrestling. I think Maia has evolved further at this point though.

Maia gassed. Maia started by getting takedowns and mount. Shields was able to reverse and lay on top after maia gassed but he never mounted AFAIK. Shields would've lost in bjj points. He also outstruck gassed Maia.

it was an iffy one to be honest. Maia got to shields back and slid off. i don't think jake ever achieved dominant position on maia but won based on TDs and time spent on top because he didn't attempt anything

Jake Shields is a retardedly good grappler. He also just recently submitted Machida with a kneebar in a BJJ competition

Shields has some of the best grappling in the sport. Hence why GSP didn't lay on him lol

I've only watched that fight once and I didn't find it boring at all. It was an excellent chess match that could've went either way.

GSP was scared to death to f with Shields on the ground, tells you something

Him and Maia are 1, 2 all time MMA grappling imo

Shields is just that damn good.

Shields is basically Ricardo Arona 2.0

Terrible striking, great control. No killer instinct. I don't know how a guy who trains with the Diaz Bros. and Gilbert Melendez can be that boring but he manages it

Shields is one of the top five fighters to ever compete at welterweight.

That said, imo his fight with maia was extremely close and could have gone either way depending on whether you favor aggressiveness or control. Maia was constantly going for the finish but this created opportunities for shields which he used to simply get into a dominant position and coast.

Of course it's been a while since I've watched it.

Weidman controlled him too. It's funny because Chris really didn't get a lot of credit for that win, people thought he even looked unimpressive and considered Maia washed up.

Shields is one the best grapplers in MMA as well. Should not have been cut but i guess the UFC hates grapplers and just want fighters who just stand in the pocket and throw haymakers only.

I don't even remember when that fight was, but I think there was a period where Maia focused a lot on improving his striking. And with only so many hours in a day to train, it's possible his BJJ got a little rusty there for a bit. Maia could take years off from BJJ and still be amazing, but against top level competition, I think rust would be a factor. It looks like over the last couple of years he's re-focused himself as a jiu jitsu fighter, and it shows.

Back