Fighters bench press

TheAgent025

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are some of the ufc fighters bench press numbers look like ? I know Brock put up 225 42 Times I've heard wandys max was around 280-285 . So what have you guys heard or confirm ?

Bench Press is an incredibly useless exercise for MMA so I doubt a lot of fighters do it

We saw that recent video of Vitor playing with 225. I don't know that many fighters post a lot of information about strength numbers.

Jones did like 330 in that one video.

Not exactly the most productive exercise for fighters, and certainly no need for them to max as it takes away from training while recovering.

Given that reach is such an issue, and your better benchers have short, t-rex arms, it is rarely going to be a good lift for a superior fighter, assuming decent proportions.

Bench Press is an incredibly useless exercise for MMA so I doubt a lot of fighters do it
I wouldn't call it useless. Most MMA fighters lift weights to increase strength, explosivness and endurance. Bench press is one of the best upper body exercises

Question should be what do they squat

Mighty Mouse - about tree fiddy

Tank benched about 100.000 lbs

Sherdog logic:

The higher your bench press, the more punching power you have.

Not exactly the most productive exercise for fighters, and certainly no need for them to max as it takes away from training while recovering.

Given that reach is such an issue, and your better benchers have short, t-rex arms, it is rarely going to be a good lift for a superior fighter, assuming decent proportions.
Not all superior fighters have long reach, and not all good benchers have short arms.

Maxing out on the Bench Press is an incredibly useless exercise for MMA so I doubt a lot of fighters do it

Fixed.
The bench press and its many variations are a fine addition to any S and C program.

Lifting weights is a great supplement to plyometrics, cardio, and skill training to maximize performance. Lifting weights alone is not going to make you a good fighter but it would help a skillful fighter be tougher to deal with.

Not all superior fighters have long reach, and not all good benchers have short arms.

Hence "rarely."

And I was going by powerlifting standards with respect to bench pressing, and long arms (relative to overall height) and a good bench are an oddity to say the least.

Back