Is a massive round of fighter cuts coming soon?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
When a new company takes over, they like to cut costs by firing people.

The UFC has a bloated roster of 500+ and there has not been a cut in a while.

Or could it be that most fighters get paid so little that cutting them will not make any real dent in costs? Which, in turn, may spare them from being cut.

Well starting today they have 7 shows in the next 8 weeks. Unless they plan on every card having Alvey, Cowboy, and Magny they had better keep some guys around.

USADA is making those cuts for them, no need.

I don't think so, if they cut a lot of fighters, they would need to make less events, and I don't thik that's the idea of new bosses

Hopefully

The roster is too full at the moment

I gotta think the new ownerz lay low so az not to shake everyone up so soon. I feel they will want everything to remain the same for a bit till people get used to it... so that they don't piss off & lose some of the hardcore fanz.

Once the new haz worn off of the switch in ownership, then we might see thingz like that, but I don't see anything happening this year that will be too drastic.

I understand you theory based on the structure of corporate America and that business model. Usually when upper management changes heads role soon after, one reason is that the new guys in town have no real ties and it's more painless for everybody. It is also super lame making massive cuts than selling, like, would you fire people right before you get bought out by someone? There is prob some truth in this the more I think about it. I see this first hand as I am a district manager for a large publicly traded company. Unfortunately I see this shit all the time..

The actual number of people on the roster doesn't matter, they only get paid when they fight so yeah doesn't apply here

So unless you are managing the Excel file and are sick of all those names, I don't know why you would really care. Unless you want fewer fight cards with more big names on each, then I guess I get it

Well considering they only pay the fighters that actually fight. They could have 10,000 fighters signed. Where's the cost ?

I don't see your point... At all.

i don't know what is the fucking problem with the people who wants fighters to get cut?why is it bothering you?if you don't like the guy dont watch his fucking fights.simple as that.and i dont think keeping too many fighter's damage the company since they pay fighters when they fight.not on a monthly basis.

Well considering they only pay the fighters that actually fight. They could have 10,000 fighters signed. Where's the cost ?

I don't see your point... At all.
They are obligated to offer all fighters x amount of fights during a calendar year, and they have to pay them if they dont.

It's also bad to have lots of inactive fighters. There's been reports of fighters not being offered fights by the UFC.

These guys aren't coming in to reinvent the wheel. The formula is fine.

I did some math a while ago and with 550+ fighters and the amount of shows they put every year, an average fighter will fight only twice in a year (the number was 1.8 or something, but I rounded it to 2). Fighters would love to fight more often though as fighting is their primary source of money, so I'm only up for cleaning the roster from journeymen and mediocre people so that better fighters would fight more often.

Nothing Will change for a long while. The new owners haven't even taken over yet.

When they do, it'll be years before huge changes take place.

Business as usual.

Is normal.

The roster is way to full. Just go ahead and get rid of men's 125 and add womens 125, and cut a shit ton of people from the entire roster and pay these mother fuckers!!!

I wouldn't mind them gutting the roster of the fighters that can't stay healthy. Those that have fought 2x in 3 years, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back