Has any interim champ ever defended that interim belt?

Me&MrJones

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any interim champions has ever defended that interim belt?

I could see it happen for the Aldo/Edgar winner as Conor does whatever the fuck he wants. Normally I'd expect the champion to be stripped if he wasn't able to face the interim champion.

Renan Barao and Andrei Arlovski, both of whom were later promoted to undisputed champion

That's a good question. I'm assuming you aren't counting unification bouts as a title defense, since technically it is not. That being said I'm not sure honestly.

They can call it what they want, but DC is interim champ. He defended it.

That's a good question. I'm assuming you aren't counting unification bouts as a title defense, since technically it is not. That being said I'm not sure honestly.
yeah im wondering too is defending a interm title count as offical title defense?

Big Nog defended his interim title vs. Mir.

There has only been 2-3 times when an interim title was even remotely necessary. Other than that, it's just marketing in the fashion of big time wrestling. Champion vs. Champion. UFC makes one of those per year. I'm surprised nobody has actually called out Dana about how quickly Zuffa is willing to prop up a paper champion when they know it's just a title shot eliminator.

Nog-Sylvia was necessary because Couture's future with UFC was uncertain.
Barao-Faber turned out to be necessary.

That's probably it. Everything else is "we really need to raise the stakes for this number 1 contender fight!"..."You know...Conor would look great with a belt even though Aldo won't be out for any extended period of time"

It's sad.

Last edited:
Holly shit Jon, is that you?

If acknowledging the reality that Cormier has a phony belt makes you Jones, then I guess I'm Jones, too.

First response nailed it. Barao defended the interim belt, though Cruz should have been stripped much earlier.

Current interm LHW champ defended it against Gus already if I understand what you're asking

lol @ CHILDREN saying "LOL CORMIER IS THE INTERIM CHAMP"
naaaaaaaah b, the date was set, Jones/Rumble, Jones landed himself in a position to not defend the belt, so Cormier had to clean up after him. Jones is a paper champ till he beat Frank Shamrock. Ain't nobody got the LHW win on the legend.

Such children.

First response nailed it. Barao defended the interim belt, though Cruz should have been stripped much earlier.

Cruz got stripped appropriately i think, he was out for a while because of TUF, Barao beat Faber, then when Cruz was healthy from that one, he was scheduled to fight Barao again, didn't work out that way, so Barao was promoted then. I think that you should be stripped if it's unclear when you're coming back, and if you miss two consecutive dates, then that's unsure territory for me. Had Velasquez not shown up to fight Werdum when they did fight, they probably would have stripped Velasquez as well.

giphy.gif

Cromier is a paper champion but he isn't a interim champ he has the gold belt Jon jones was stripped

Randy beat Chuck for the interim belt, then defended it by beating Tito for the LHW belt.

LHW will be unified no matter what. I just realized even if you thought Gus beat Jones - it all worked out:

Gus beat Jones
Rumble beat Gus
DC beat Rumble
DC beat Gus

UFC needs like 5 more belts per division like boxing. That way every card can have like 5 championship fights.

LHW will be unified no matter what. I just realized even if you thought Gus beat Jones - it all worked out:

Gus beat Jones
Rumble beat Gus
DC beat Rumble
DC beat Gus

UFC needs like 5 more belts per division like boxing. That way every card can have like 5 championship fights.
I hadn't even thought of that. So if Jones beats Cormier now, he'll take back the title he never lost against Gus.

Gus beat Jones
Rumble beat Gus
DC beat Rumble
DC beat Gus

post-30210-Neo-WOAH-gif-WHOA-mind-blown-T-IkVq.gif

Back