Why did the UFC pay Nate Diaz 500k to fight Connor?

Gorilllla

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So Nate's usual purse is 20k + 20k. Why did the UFC pay him 500k to step in as a late replacement? Cerrone would've taken it for his usual 79k. Plenty of fighters would've taken it for next to nothing just for the opportunity.

The reason I'm asking is because now the UFC wants to make the rematch and I'm assuming Diaz wants more money than before because he won before. So the UFC has put itself in a shitty situation because they overpaid him before. I'm assuming that's why they couldn't agree the new deal when they went to Stockton - because Nate is now in a position where he can negotiate a figure based on the previous one.

Why the 500k?

Nate knew he was part of the show that was going to make a ton of money and deserved his slice of the pie so he negotiated. There was risk for him taking the fight on such short notice. Sure you could have stuck someone else in there but the Diaz bros are well known for bringing a hell of a fight (I'd argue there was no bigger or better option on the short notice)

Apparently it was 620k. He demanded it, Dana said no and Conor said pay him...apparently

First off, Nate wasn't making 20/20. It's ludicrous to think that's all he was making, and he and White have both said as much. Second, it was a late replacement, very high profile fight. They paid Mendes the same thing.

Hey got WAY more than $500k, that was simply his disclosed pay

Don't you wish you could say it was because Conor is the greatest fighter on the planet instead of the biggest hype train with the biggest mouth?

Yeah OK, don't worry about the exact figures, you know what I mean when I say 20 + 20.

So the UFC all of a sudden decided Nate was worth 500k+?

Yeah OK, don't worry about the exact figures, you know what I mean when I say 20 + 20.

So the UFC all of a sudden decided Nate was worth 500k+?
He wanted his fair slice of the pie

It started with Mendes....Nate said fuck that shit I want Mendes money.

Yeah but others would've taken it for less. Such as Cerrone. It makes the UFC look desperate to pay him that much - they had other options.
Conor chose Cabo Nate instead of in shape, fresh off an easy win Cowboy.

So Nate's usual purse is 20k + 20k. Why did the UFC pay him 500k to step in as a late replacement? Cerrone would've taken it for his usual 79k. Plenty of fighters would've taken it for next to nothing just for the opportunity.

The reason I'm asking is because now the UFC wants to make the rematch and I'm assuming Diaz wants more money than before because he won before. So the UFC has put itself in a shitty situation because they overpaid him before. I'm assuming that's why they couldn't agree the new deal when they went to Stockton - because Nate is now in a position where he can negotiate a figure based on the previous one.

Why the 500k?

They overpaid him you say?! So he should have just been offered the fair price of 20, 30, 40K?

I do agree that the fighters, the only reason the company exists and the only reason people actually pay to watch it, should only get to take home a few thousand dollars each, after all expenses paid, to go and work their other jobs while the brass pocket tens of millions dollars. You're right, he was definitely overpaid, the greedy cunt!

Last edited:
Because the UFC knew all the guys who would do it for $80k would curb stomp Canor. They thought Nate would lose.

Why the 500k?

Disclosed pay is never the total pay.

Stop being so literal.

Why the 500k?
I think that's what Mendes got to fight Conner on late notice, precedent set.

This can't be right?

Nate Diaz ($500,000 + no win bonus = $500,000) def. Conor McGregor ($1,000,000)

Nate Diaz ($20,000 + $20,000 = $40,000) def. Michael Johnson ($30,000)

Rafael dos Anjos: $86,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus and $4,000 Diaz penalty)
Nate Diaz: $16,000 (includes $4,000 fine)

Nate Diaz: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Gray Maynard: $45,000

Josh Thomson: $95,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Nate Diaz: $15,000

Yeah but others would've taken it for less. Such as Cerrone. It makes the UFC look desperate to pay him that much - they had other options.
If I recall cowboy was just coming off a fight, they felt Cabo Diaz was a safer bet than an in shape cowboy.

Back