MMA striking is evolving rapidly; away from kickboxing and towards karate

MMA-Aficionado

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Wonderboy and McGregor are great examples of the new strikers/new striking.

However, I would say that Wonderboy is more dangerous with his feet - his kicks against Hendricks were awesome to behold; whereas McGregor generally uses his kicks more to set up his boxing, confuse people, make them shell up and guide them on to his boxing strikes... and to work the body to take away stamina.

Either way, two strikers taking striking to the next level and utilising karate style movement.

Fantastic!

Agree? Disagree?

Actually, I should add Jon Jones to that - his striking is pretty inventive as well. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble and get back in the cage often.

In 10 years I believe people will call UFC, mixed martial arts.

groundwork will still be called wrestling and bjj. stand up will allways be kickboxing boxing karate tea kwon do etc etc etc

MIXED martial arts
Yes, its mixed martial arts. well done.

And I am talking about the striking part of mixed martial arts, you know, the part where McGregor/Thompson like to stay if they can help it, the part they use to win their fights.

groundwork will still be called wrestling and bjj. stand up will allways be kickboxing boxing karate tea kwon do etc etc etc
Yes, one would think that was obvious...but obviously not to some.

Machida era once again, a karate based striking style fighter wins a fight against a wrestler and now karate is the shit in striking, oh well...

Conor's base is boxing. He punches like a boxer and wins fights with his boxing.
Jones is most deadly with his knees and elbows.

Two exceptions do not make a rule.

it's almost as if these 'karate' style guys have more experience taking on muay thai, boxer punchers, kickboxers etc.

Probably because they are more than well aware of the shortcomings of gurus who insist what they teach is the only way

Cain is a dominant champion and unbeatable outside a flash KO
Gus is the clear number 2 and will rule LHW for years along with Jones
Pettis is a dominant champion
Joanna is a dominant champion and will steamroll Letourneau
TJ is a dominant champion
Machida is a dominant champion
Brock is a dominant champion and clearly the best HW in the world
Rose is the new Ronda Rousey
Overeem will destroy everyone in the UFC standing

...IOW slow your roll!

I'll be impressed when i see eagle claw vs. tiger claw

Cain is a dominant champion and unbeatable outside a flash KO
Gus is the clear number 2 and will rule LHW for years along with Jones
Pettis is a dominant champion
Joanna is a dominant champion and will steamroll Letourneau
TJ is a dominant champion
Machida is a dominant champion
Brock is a dominant champion and clearly the best HW in the world
Rose is the new Ronda Rousey
Overeem will destroy everyone in the UFC standing

...IOW slow your roll!

Great example. One of her championship fights went to a 49-46, 49-46, 50-45 decision and she only outstruck her opponent 2-1. Totally on par with your other examples of presumed dominant champions who actually lost.

I somewhat agree. While Kickboxing will always be a strong part of MMA striking, i think Karate-like stance and movement looks to be pretty useful in a mixed fight, especially against grappling heavy fighters.

Great example. One of her championship fights went to a 49-46, 49-46, 50-45 decision and she only outstruck her opponent 2-1. Totally on par with your other examples of presumed dominant champions who actually lost.

Hence the 'steamroll Letourneau' part. -2000 favorite lol, definitely an example of jumping the gun and hype exceeding accomplishments.

You guys havent seen nothing yet. In 10-15 years it'll be wing chun preying mantis kung fu!

Trapping and wing chun chain punches will be the shit. Just you wait!

It's not the martial art, its the fighter. Wonderboy is at a very high level in Karate which is why he's so good. Most arts can be effective so its really dependent on the person using it and what level they are at.

Back