Filthy Tom Lawlor: Lets stop pretending this is a sport (audio)

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
On an overnight audio with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez, they were discussing Gall's opponent being a guy that usually interviews fighters and (here is a brief snippet)

moar cliffnotes.

Later on in the audio, Lawlor also said he ignored talking to Jackson backstage after the fight due to his 'black power' tat

It's simple natural selection. Fighting companies survive by making money. They make money by selling tickets, pay-per-views, and merchandise. Whatever interests or entertains people the most will sell tickets, pay-per-views, and merchandise. So whatever promoter puts on the most interesting or entertaining fights will be the one left standing. Therefore, yes, the sport, like others, inevitably becomes more like what it is...audience entertainment...over time.

It's simple natural selection. Fighting companies survive by making money. They make money by selling tickets, pay-per-views, and merchandise. Whatever interests or entertains people the most will sell tickets, pay-per-views, and merchandise. So whatever promoter puts on the most interesting or entertaining fights will be the one left standing. Therefore, yes, the sport, like others, inevitably becomes more like what it is...audience entertainment...over time.

I agree, but it is interesting that a fighter currently fighting for Zuffa says it publicly.

So one freakshow fight on a 10+ fight card to set up a one-off high interest fight = this is not a sport? How many fights does the UFC put on every year? How many available spots are Mickey Gall and CM Punk taking?

Let's stop pretending it's anything but peanut butter and envy, Tom.

its still real to me damnit

So one freakshow fight on a 10+ fight card to set up a one-off high interest fight = this is not a sport? How many fights does the UFC put on every year? How many available spots are Mickey Gall and CM Punk taking?

Let's stop pretending it's anything but peanut butter and envy, Tom.

It is interesting, because Tom is a huge pro wrestling fan as well.

It is interesting, because Tom is a huge pro wrestling fan as well.

Exactly, he complained about not being able to do his usual weigh in and walk out antics, which have nothing to do with sport and everything to do with entertainment, and now he's complaining about a one-off freakshow fight in the name of entertainment? It's nothing more than double standard peanut butter and envy.

It's all good though the sport is more fun with bitter people complaining all the time.

Tom has been a lot more vocal lately about pretty insignificant points.

I miss him just being known as the guy with quirky get ups at the weighins.

Tom has been a lot more vocal lately about pretty insignificant points.

I miss him just being known as the guy with quirky get ups at the weighins.

That is due to him doing regular audio shows now

Exactly, he complained about not being able to do his usual weigh in and walk out antics, which have nothing to do with sport and everything to do with entertainment, and now he's complaining about a one-off freakshow fight in the name of entertainment? It's nothing more than double standard peanut butter and envy.

It's all good though the sport is more fun with bitter people complaining all the time.

But he does take the in octagon fighting very seriously.
I see both sides of the CM Punk thing.
I do think the fact they had Mike Jackson on a card just to job to Gall was lame though.

But he does take the in octagon fighting very seriously.
I see both sides of the CM Punk thing.
I do think the fact they had Mike Jackson on a card just to job to Gall was lame though.

It's a one-off freakshow fight that's not taking anyone else's spot and has no title implications. The complaint would be legit if they're putting CM Punk in the headlining spot like Bellator is doing or giving the winner a contender spot, but Gall vs. Jackson was a fight pass prelim and none of them are getting title shots. It's like Wimbledon adding a fun charity celebrity match that's not part of the tournament. Does that make tennis "not a sport"? No it doesn't.

It's a one-off freakshow fight that's not taking anyone else's spot and has no title implications. The complaint would be legit if they're putting CM Punk in the headlining spot like Bellator is doing or giving the winner a contender spot, but Gall vs. Jackson was a fight pass prelim and none of them are getting title shots. It's like Wimbledon adding a fun charity celebrity match that's not part of the tournament. Does that make tennis "not a sport"? No it doesn't.

Like I said, I see both sides.
I like Punk and rooting for him, but I can see why people think it is a joke.

I like that you brought up Bellator though. They do far more WWE-ish things, but Zuffa haters overlook them because they are not Zuffa.

Back