28 Years Later in the works. Danny Boyle directing, Alex Garland writing.

I'm down. I hope Cillian is going to be involved too.

After that do an origin movie. 28 Hours.

Just recently watched the two movies.

Wish it would've come out sooner but there was the walking dead and so much other Zombie shit that it even oversaturated me. Hope it lives up to the other ones.

Personally, I can't wait for the prequel...
28 hours earlier...

the funniest possible outcome would be for them to do the prequel and it is just the Murphy working as a bike courier, hanging around town, sleeping, eating, etc.

they do it like the 24 series so it is a 28 hour Netflix show.

it is prestige tv and so they release 8 episodes every 3 years.

the entire thing costs $15m/episode because Murphy is a star now and they use expensive CGI to de-age him

the first 2 movies were solid for me. I am down to check out anything that Boyle and Garland work on.

my only concern is that the new project is being mentioned as possible being a brand new trilogy. I don't want to see the project fall into the common trap of setting up future films rather than just making a great stand alone movie

but I also have faith in the talent involved

I probably prefer 28 Days Later as a movie but just slightly. It's close to even. I think Weeks has a couple scenes that are better than anything in Days though.

Just rewatched Weeks on Hulu and I agree. I’d have to give 28 Days a rewatch but, at this point, I think the only reason I prefer the first is because it had the freshness factor when I first watched it. Really helped to reinvigorate that particular horror subgenre. Weeks, meanwhile, you sort of knew what to expect and the Snyder Dawn of the Dead had come out before it, too, so that fast-moving zombie element was still intense but more familiar.

I think the original does a better job of establishing the sense of dread and weirdness of stepping out into the world after the spread of the virus. Some of those early scenes where Cillian is just looking for people and has no clue what is going on are phenomenal. That “once thriving, now desolate” motif works really well. Worked in I Am Legend a few years later too.

But on many of the other factors, Weeks probably has it beat. I found myself more interested in the human story of Poots, her brother, Rose Byrne and Renner than I did Murphy, Harris, Gleason and co. In the first. That’s not a comparison of performances, I think the sequel just made those characters’ plight more interesting to me.

Carlyle gives a strong performance in my view. Some of those early scenes, where he has to sit with the reality of his fleeing to save his own life at the beginning of the film are really good because he absolutely sells the emotions and the pain. The only issue is that by having him as the one zombie who the children must ultimately face off against before they get to safety seems narratively cogent but also very convenient. I almost felt as though Carlyle’s presence should have come to an end after that horrific scene where he first gets infected (one of the most effective and scary scenes in the film). He spreads the infection but at the point it’s almost irrelevant whether Rage Carlyle did or didn’t survive the army’s attempts to stifle the outbreak. It’s not Carlyle anymore. You could have the one scene where the son sees him and that’s it. Him seemingly relentlessly pursuing the kids, Byrne and Renner borders on a bit hokey.

People have been talking in these threads- when discussing both films- about the pros and cons of having Eccleston and co. as the final heels (The Walking Dead- societal collapse makes monsters of men story of thing). Well, this movie also has the forces become the opposition in a sense because we want the Byrne contingent to survive and Elba and them are trying to take out everyone who may potentially be infected along with the infected.

But it’s handled quite differently with Elba and his group not seeming as outright malevolent as the Eccleston crew who seem to be corrupted by their power and are concerned with what happens in their compound, without much concern for broader society.

I think this movie was probably massive for Renner’s career. I remember first becoming aware of him as one of the bad guys in Swat, but it was after this movie that he got The Hurt Locker and his career blew up from there. I’m thinking his familiarity with playing military couldn’t have hurt his getting the role in the Bigelow film.

Rose Byrne is awesome. She can do very good work in any genre in my opinion.

the first 2 movies were solid for me. I am down to check out anything that Boyle and Garland work on.

my only concern is that the new project is being mentioned as possible being a brand new trilogy. I don't want to see the project fall into the common trap of setting up future films rather than just making a great stand alone movie

but I also have faith in the talent involved

if anything, part of the reason that Weeks is so good is precisely because they weren’t looking to franchise build and just made it a quality standalone as you said.

Carlyle gives a strong performance in my view. Some of those early scenes, where he has to sit with the reality of his fleeing to save his own life at the beginning of the film are really good because he absolutely sells the emotions and the pain. The only issue is that by having him as the one zombie who the children must ultimately face off against before they get to safety seems narratively cogent but also very convenient. I almost felt as though Carlyle’s presence should have come to an end after that horrific scene where he first gets infected (one of the most effective and scary scenes in the film). He spreads the infection but at the point it’s almost irrelevant whether Rage Carlyle did or didn’t survive the army’s attempts to stifle the outbreak. It’s not Carlyle anymore. You could have the one scene where the son sees him and that’s it. Him seemingly relentlessly pursuing the kids, Byrne and Renner borders on a bit hokey.

I think Carlyle was worthy of a best actor nomination but it wasn't the kind of movie where that would happen. I get your comments about the convenience of him ending up chasing down his kids but I actually take it as a sort of poetic illustration of the effect of the rage virus...where it would make you hate something the former you loved even more than something to which you would have been indifferent. His protective instincts toward them have now been supercharged in an evil and opposite direction.

Days was a bit boring to me outside of some flash scenes.

Weeks I liked a lot.

Years has to be a typo. No sense skipping months.

Days was a bit boring to me outside of some flash scenes.

Weeks I liked a lot.

Years has to be a typo. No sense skipping months.

Scary thing is by the time that movie comes out, it will probably be fairly close to 28 years after the release of the original film.

I thought they would for sure have done 28 months later.

Then you can do 28 years...whats after that?
28 decades?
your not thinking like a true sell out,
28 christmas's later
28 easters later
28 Halloween later
28 4th of julys later

this way you got a franchise to drag through the mud and a holiday to try and squeeze a bit more money from the public

that being said I am hyped for 28 years

Scary thing is by the time that movie comes out, it will probably be fairly close to 28 years after the release of the original film.
I first thought of the production time line and thought the same...but then I remembered they didnt do months.

28 christmas's later
28 easters later
28 Halloween later
28 4th of julys later

this way you got a franchise to drag through the mud and a holiday to try and squeeze a bit more money from the public

Ah 28 Halloweens later- the much-anticipated 28/Myers franchise crossover film.

28 christmas's later
28 easters later
28 Halloween later
28 4th of julys later

The straight to streaming spin offs like "28 haunakas later", following the same story, but of a jewish new york family whose deli struggles after the first outbreak

Back