Movies 28 Weeks Later (2024 review) + 28 Years Later announced to be in production

It often slips my mind when the topic comes up but 28 Weeks Later is one of the great sequels.

I personally prefer the first but 28 Weeks strikes me as far better than your typical sequel within that genre. Perhaps the third entry will be strong as well.

28 days later looks like shit now they need to update that movie. Redo it but with the exact same story line. I looked it up and apparently it was made on a $5000 camera which would explain it. I do think it's a better story but I always just rewatch 28 weeks later.
i personally like Dod Mantle’s Dogme 95 cinéma vérité cinematography style used for 28 Days because i think the handheld, low res digital footage works hand-in-hand w/ the content & action—it adds a visual sense of griminess to the thematic deterioration of the characters’ worldview. that said, i don’t think it’s out of line for anyone to be critical of how it looks.

Opening scene of 28 weeks later was intense. Other than that I don't recall it being much better than the original. It's been a long time since I saw either though.

I love both movies. Easily the best zombie apocalypse type movies in my opinion. Hopefully the new one is nearly as good.

Little factoid about 28 days later:

The director paced the movie fit to this song…

amazing band btw.

was it just that track, or the entire record? iirc there are heavily edited snippets of this, or another (can’t recall exactly), GY!BE track in the film because Efrim refused to sell them the rights. which is honestly too bad because F#A#(infinity) vibes so well w/ the atmosphere of the movie (independently of its influence on Boyle’s structuring of the movie)

I like both movies, I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I'll read a few reviews first but I'll probably see it eventually

God damn you @GearSolidMetal .

For me, 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later was always similar to Terminator and Terminator 2. It's a coin toss as to which one was better, I guess it depends on which day of the week I ask myself that question. Arguments could be made for either case.

And then I read this....

I'll humor you.

Protagonists & Antagonists are always introduced in the 1st act of every story.

In 28 Days case, you're lead to believe the infected are the main antagonists for the 1st & 2nd acts. But they're just infected with a virus, morally innocent people with no choice in their actions.

The story diverted from that established formula and introduced morally worse Antagonists - The soldiers - that imprisoned the female protagonists with the intention to rape them.
They're obviously the morally disgusting antagonists & main antagonist of the overall movie.

*First, they're introduced in the 3rd act. A major flaw that leads to the next point.
*Second, little/no believable development.
*Third, the reason why its called '28 Days Later' is because the movie takes place 4 weeks after an outbreak... and a group of soldiers are so far beyond hope for the future believe raping & impregnating female prisoners are their only hope of carrying on for the species, or their genes?
After 4 weeks that's the frame of mind of the entire platoon?
Who believes that is a realistic scenario within a month?
*I mentioned how the new movies of the zombie sub-genre copies & pastes old ideas that were done better in older movies?
And I also mentioned Day Of The Dead?
Well 28 Days Later copies & pastes the 'The Infected kill the real villains... the evil soldiers!' which was lame when it was in that movie (DOTD) and it was even lamer in this movie (28DL) in addition to the other points.

28 Days Later is an 'excellent' zombie movie...in its 1st & 2nd act... that falls apart in the 3rd act and is overall a 'good' zombie movie.

I had never once thought about 28WL from that perspective, and frankly, you are right.

Thanks amigo, and yes, count me among those looking forward to 28 Years Later, lets hope it is done right.

My favourite zombie flick is Train to Besan, followed by Dawn of the Dead (04').

<RomeroSalute>

DotD(04) and TtB notch the top for me. I am also quite fond of the 28's.

Reactions: TCE
28 Weeks Later better than 28 Days Later? are you fucking high??
Yeah man its def not as good. The "smart" zombie thing was kind of corny,and the kids just easily sneaking into the no go zone was fuckin stupid and totally unbelievable.

Dont get me wrong,it was an intense and entertaining movie,but the first one is definitley way better.

28 days is a thousand times better

and Alien is also the clearly superior movie to Aliens

Edit: I appreciate the review though. I think I disagree on 28 days' revelation of the soldiers being evil representing any kind of a flaw in the movie. In fact, it's one of the more interesting parts of the movie.

In a philosophical sense, zombie movies work on a basic premise that the zombie represents the raw animal nature half of our fundamental duality, as opposed to the civilized, sometimes altruistic and rational side which is of course represented by the people fleeing the zombies. The whole dynamic of a zombie movie is this - humans being made to be most human as a result of the unending wave of autonomous, destructive zombies. They need to think, cooperate, act selflessly etc. in order to have a chance to survive. The idea that sort of undercuts all zombie movies (as opposed to say vampire movies, where the monster is intelligent, say), is that our humanity is a struggle between blind animalistic forces and the struggle of maintaining civility and cooperation. 28 days showed that this is not necessarily the case and that people can in fact use the highest manifestations of our collective intelligence (military technology) and cooperation (insider vs outsider groupthink) to act just as destructive and nasty as the unthinking hordes. We don't suffer and live in fear despite our intelligence and collectivism, but because of it.

I also don't agree that all movies necessarily need to introduce the antagonist and protagonist in the first act. I think this is a pretty dumbed-down understanding of movies, and I think there are more than a few examples where the entire premise of the movie is the antagonist/protagonist switching roles. Character studies, flawed heroes, etc. all fit this description. As do surprise endings. "The phone call came from inside the house!" etc.

Last edited:
Back