Tech 2023 - Game of the Year?

2023 - Game of the Year?

• Total voters
Wish there was a way to get 100 gamers who have played & beaten all 17 poll choices together and they each get to make a Top 10 list.

Their #1 Choice gets 100 points.
#2 = 75 points.
#3 = 60 points.
#4 = 50 points.
#5 = 40 points
#6 = 35
#7 = 30
#8 = 20
#9 = 15
#10 = 10

Such a list would have more credibility than any singular poll or awards show.

Voted for Remnant II already. Haven't actually played Starfield, not sure I ever will.

Just surprised as Bethesda took a super long time making it and it was supposed to be the game that changed everything.
In some ways, I think it set a new standard for world design(the environments are crazy huge, with hub worlds that feel like entire game worlds,and buildings that feel like they were built to scale of real world counterparts), but there's so much wrong with the UI, writing, and general flow of the game, that all that effort goes to waste. The consensus seems to be that it's just plain boring, which I can't disagree with.

My GOTY would be Quake 2 remaster, but frankly I don’t think it even counts. It’s not a remake, just a remaster in the truest sense of the word. The game is pretty much intact as it was in 1997, but with higher resolutions than were available at the time, and bundled with its two expansions, as well as the N64 port and a new expansion. But it’s not fundamentally a new game, just a great package for anyone who likes Quake 2, or in my case, someone who LOVES Quake 2.

So disqualifying Quake 2 to consider actual 2023 releases I’d have to go with Pikmin 4 as my Game of the Year. More Pikminy goodness that I love to play with my kids, no complaints. Doesn’t reinvent the Pikmin wheel, but the introduction of Oachi is a nice new mechanic and as always new varieties of Pikmin are always fun to play with.

The only other 2023 release I played was Diablo IV which I straight up abandoned after getting to Act 3. It’s funny, Diablo II was one of my favourite games ever, but now that the series is essentially just another GAAS title I just don’t derive any enjoyment from them anymore.

My GOTY would be Quake 2 remaster, but frankly I don’t think it even counts. It’s not a remake, just a remaster in the truest sense of the word. The game is pretty much intact as it was in 1997, but with higher resolutions than were available at the time, and bundled with its two expansions, as well as the N64 port and a new expansion. But it’s not fundamentally a new game, just a great package for anyone who likes Quake 2, or in my case, someone who LOVES Quake 2.

So disqualifying Quake 2 to consider actual 2023 releases I’d have to go with Pikmin 4 as my Game of the Year. More Pikminy goodness that I love to play with my kids, no complaints. Doesn’t reinvent the Pikmin wheel, but the introduction of Oachi is a nice new mechanic and as always new varieties of Pikmin are always fun to play with.

The only other 2023 release I played was Diablo IV which I straight up abandoned after getting to Act 3. It’s funny, Diablo II was one of my favourite games ever, but now that the series is essentially just another GAAS title I just don’t derive any enjoyment from them anymore.
Quake II was a fairly easy platinum, just required you to play through and finish the games. I really enjoyed it too. It made me forget how absurdly confusing the game was though, thank god for the path locator.

PlayStation Plus just added Tinykin. If you love Pikmin you owe it to yourself to play that game. It's an underrated gem.

Hogwarts legacy for me. Exploration never got old, definitely a cool experience for fans of the franchise to roam the grounds. The combat system was fun and I like that you have to pick and choose how you level up your character and there's no way to get all of the upgrades so you have to choose based on how you prefer to play the game. Story line was meh though.

Diablo 4

5 level 100's like 700 hours playtime and still playing

everything else has come and gone into the dust bin

Cyberpunk has all but consumed me. I've been playing it almost non stop since Phantom Liberty. Now it's taking turns with Rogue Trader. It's always hard to rank your best game when I've been playing them for so long, and tech always improves and teams get larger, but Cyberpunk's definitely in my elite category and my fav open world game ever. You know it's good when you can fast travel and choose not to. I can't give an expansion game of the year though.

BG3 gets my nod. Like Cyberpunk for open world games, they raised the bar for CRPG's. I can't wait to see what both teams do next. What an incredible year for gaming!

Out of that list this is what I played and what order I would put them in.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Tears of the Kingdom
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Dead Space
5. Starfield

I also played Forza Motorsport and I'd put it smack in the middle with RE4. I entered this year assuming Zelda or Starfield would be my GOTY, both were disappointments to a certain degree, but Starfield was just flat out bad.

Man ff16 was awesome.

BG3 by a huge margin. It set a new industry standard. None of the other games are even close. It’s crazy what Larian pulled off

I'm going to have to check it out. FF 16 had some amazing fight scenes and was a fun action game.

BG3 running away with it. Which should surprise no one.

Is this the weakest year in gaming history? I don't think I played a single 2023 game and looking at that list, I didn't miss much.

I do want to play the RE4 remake but again, it's a remake. Been there done that. That's the problem with gaming these days for me. I've played games all of my life and now, it's been there, done that. Nothing stands out as creative anymore.

Man ff16 was awesome.
I hope the exclusivity $$ were worth it for SE. From what sites were reporting, it underperformed sales wise for them.

I'm a massive FF fan, but I don't recall a mainline game ever feeling so lost in the shuffle. Did they not advertise it well? It almost feels like it was never released.

Regardless, I can't wait for the PC release, same for FF7 Rebirth, looks like I'll be waiting a while for both on PC.

Is this the weakest year in gaming history? I don't think I played a single 2023 game and looking at that list, I didn't miss much.

I do want to play the RE4 remake but again, it's a remake. Been there done that. That's the problem with gaming these days for me. I've played games all of my life and now, it's been there, done that. Nothing stands out as creative anymore.
You should play Baldur's Gate 3 then, or Cyberpunk with its new overhaul updates, along with Phantom Liberty. There's nothing close to either of them on the market.

If you like CRPG's, Roman history, and turn based combat, play Expeditions Rome. I just picked it up on the Steam sale. I was watching Gladiator and felt like something Roman Empire, what a gem this game is. It's an alt history, where Julius Caesar dies young. You basically take his place on a sprawling campaign.

AC VI is incredible too. It's the best mech game I've ever played.

Last edited:
I hope the exclusivity $$ were worth it for SE. From what sites were reporting, it underperformed sales wise for them.

I'm a massive FF fan, but I don't recall a mainline game ever feeling so lost in the shuffle. Did they not advertise it well? It almost feels like it was never released.

Regardless, I can't wait for the PC release, same for FF7 Rebirth, looks like I'll be waiting a while for both on PC.

It didn't underperform. During an earnings call they stated "it didn't meet our highest expectations" but they were happy with the sales. They had a range of what they were expecting FF16 to sell and it fell somewhere in the middle.

The issue is people started twisting the words to say it didn't meet expectations when that's not what was said. In fact the report stated they were happy with the sales. The stock price also dropped after that and it was blamed on FF16 but it was in fact the mobile division failures that mostly caused that.

. The stock price also dropped after that and it was blamed on FF16 but it was in fact the mobile division failures that mostly caused that.
Plus it's the year in-between FF14 Expansions which is a huge money maker, it normally drops in the year between as people only normally either resub for patches or not at all until just before the new expansion drop

Back