2016 Rio Olympic Wrestling Discussion

5/6 on my picks. Got Khinchegashvili, Ramonov, Sadulaev, Snyder, and Akgul.

does anyone think Snyder might have the potential to surpass Burroughs?
I think he does but 97kg is always full of hammers and while Kyle is certainly the best right now, I don't think he's head and shoulders above the rest of the weight like Burroughs was looking for awhile.

Gonna be quite undersized. He is more than inch shorter and you pretty much can't put on more muscles than this:

wr_kyle_snyder_nup_171784_2380_hero.jpg

How tall is Yazdani?

I think he does but 97kg is always full of hammers and while Kyle is certainly the best right now, I don't think he's head and shoulders above the rest of the weight like Burroughs was looking for awhile.

His losses this year were all to guys 30 or older. Gadisov is still in his 20s. Any other young guys to look out for?

His losses this year were all to guys 30 or older. Gadisov is still in his 20s. Any other young guys to look out for?
Sadulaev will beat him comfortably, and he is like 7 months younger than Snyder lol.

Russia won the Olympics in Wrestling. Very compliment. A lot of complete wrestlers contrary to...
Good podium for Japan and Cuba.

Now.. Freestyle needs a rule change immediately. Too controversial actions.

-Reinstatement of 5 points high amplitude throw (also without exposure).

-Extra time. There are some interesting solutions.

-1 point turn.

- Reduce the fuc.... referees influence.

Russia won the Olympics in Wrestling. Very compliment. A lot of complete wrestlers contrary to...
Good podium for Japan and Cuba.

Now.. Freestyle needs a rule change immediately. Too controversial actions.

-Reinstatement of 5 points high amplitude throw (also without exposure).

-Extra time. There are some interesting solutions.

-1 point turn.

- Reduce the fuc.... referees influence.
Do you really think going back to constant rule changes is actually going to help...

I'm serious because changing the rules and scoring to be more complicated and less simple is the opposite of what's needed. (I do think criteria needs to be looked at)

*and dude stop being passive aggressive.. it's pathetic. If you were so right about the "complete" wrestler thing.. you and your country has had years to produce results.. it hasn't. Either address this little issue or find a better argument

Last edited:
Lol at easily. Snyder has beaten Guyz and Gadisov for his titles.
Snyder did a good job, but it was his final opponent who did very little- close to nothing, basically the whole match consisted of him trying to look busy while scoring very little. He tried the exact same thing vs Boltukaev and it just didn't work. Sadulaev has been a lot more dominant, and will be, even vs Snyder.

Snyder did a good job, but it was his final opponent who did very little- close to nothing, basically the whole match consisted of him trying to look busy while scoring very little. He tried the exact same thing vs Boltukaev and it just didn't work. Sadulaev has been a lot more dominant, and will be, even vs Snyder.
What part of Russia are you from if you don't mind me asking ?

How tall is Yazdani?
172 cm if to believe wiki. Sadulaev is around 177-178 cm. Average in the division seems to be around 180 cm. There is a reason Yazdani has 0 Olympic medals.
Found a match with Sadulaev at 97 kg wrestling a Georgian guy that Snyder went against in the semis:

He didn't really struggle even being lighter but this is not the top guy and this is not a tournament with a bracket. If I want to see someone to fully realize his potential I don't like the idea of him either being undersized or having the need to significantly bulk up and thus probably losing speed and cardio. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Last edited:
so all the future talk of wrestling is going to be around Sadulaev and Snyder pretty much...and of course Burroughs if he can recover from this which he most likely will

Does anyone know what is the background of 97 kg UZB, Ibragimov?
He really looked like judo/ sambo player...

Freestyle ruleset suck. This sport needs to eliminate controversial results. Wrestling was OUT of Olympics few years ago. Do you remember?

Your country has over 500000 wrestlers (single/double leg takedown only artists) and wrestling is an official sport in the schools/universities. Result : 3 medals (2 in men division!).

My country has 1500 athletes with only clubs. Result : 1 medal.

So...be quiet*

Do you really think going back to constant rule changes is actually going to help...

I'm serious because changing the rules and scoring to be more complicated and less simple is the opposite of what's needed. (I do think criteria needs to be looked at)

*and dude stop being passive aggressive.. it's pathetic. If you were so right about the "complete" wrestler thing.. you and your country has had years to produce results.. it hasn't. Either address this little issue or find a better argument

Last edited:
Freestyle ruleset suck. This sport needs to eliminate controversial results. Wrestling was OUT of Olympics few years ago. Do you remember?

Your country has over 500000 wrestlers (single/double leg takedown only artists) and wrestling is an official sport in the schools/universities. Result : 3 medals (2 in men division!).

So...be quite!
*quiet

And like I've said repeatedly.. and someone else from your country confirmed.. HE'S NOT "YOUR WRESTLER, YOUR DIDN'T DEVELOP HIM, not to mention he medaled already in Cuba before. Your country has been out medaled by Puerto Rico.. do you know how small Puerto Rico is dumbass

As far as US medal results.. since I'm actually from the US l, let me educate you on some things. The US wrestling issues are structural.. NOT stylistical.. our issue is that we're burning out and peaking our kids at Cadet/junior age and younger. And that because ""coaches" (parents living through their kids) are transferring their kids to the school and paying for the club that focuses on winning fucking 10 year old tournaments than skills development. This is making it so that numbers in those schools are suffering because the kids that join at a perfect age to peak as senior level athletes in middle or high school can't even get close to competitive unless they work so hard they don't focus on skills. Because they're just starting out competing against kids who've been peaked at those exact ages

In summary.. switching to freestyle or getting more "complete" won't fix the reasons the US isn't medaling the way it should...

And once again HE'S NOT "YOUR" WRESTLER.. and you certainly didn't develop him, if that's the only argument you can produce shut up and work on developing your OWN medalists. So I won't be quiet unless you actually show the qualifications to comment

So...be quite!
Oh and one of the reasons why freestyle was almost cut was because of constant rule changes.. and there are far more quality officials, wrestlers, and coaches who love and prefer the rules.

Honestly the people who hate the current rules like you are the people who hate the fact that the new rules force you to "wrestle" for 6 minutes, and you can't just stall, use "tactics" the way you could before, highlighted by one cool move.

The way things will actually be fixed is continuing to clean up corruption, continuing to punish officials, and get the refs better educated on the rules

*quiet

And like I've said repeatedly.. and someone else from your country confirmed.. HE'S NOT "YOUR WRESTLER, YOUR DIDN'T DEVELOP HIM, not to mention he medaled already in Cuba before. Your country has been out medaled by Puerto Rico.. do you know how small Puerto Rico is dumbass

As far as US medal results.. since I'm actually from the US l, let me educate you on some things. The US wrestling issues are structural.. NOT stylistical.. our issue is that we're burning out and peaking our kids at Cadet/junior age and younger. And that because ""coaches" (parents living through their kids) are transferring their kids to the school and paying for the club that focuses on winning fucking 10 year old tournaments than skills development. This is making it so that numbers in those schools are suffering because the kids that join at a perfect age to peak as senior level athletes in middle or high school can't even get close to competitive unless they work so hard they don't focus on skills. Because they're just starting out competing against kids who've been peaked at those exact ages

In summary.. switching to freestyle or getting more "complete" won't fix the reasons the US isn't medaling the way it should...

And once again HE'S NOT "YOUR" WRESTLER.. and you certainly didn't develop him, if that's the only argument you can produce shut up and work on developing your OWN medalists. So I won't be quiet unless you actually show the qualifications to comment

Contrary to USA, Italy is not a wrestling power so one medal is a big result!
Your country has been out medaled by Cuba...a small enemy! Do you understand the difference?

I agree about Chamizo. He isn't an Italian wrestler...like Valentin Kalika isn't an american coach!

Minguzzi is an Italian wrestler and won a gold medal in Greco. In the same Olympic event USA Wrestling team won only one bronze medal.

Wrestling was kicked out of Olympic games because the corruption was the core businesses. The current ruleset is better but there are a lot of troubles and controversial points. This sport needs a big step.

Last edited:
Your country has been out medaled by Cuba...a small enemy! Do you understand the difference?

I agree about Chamizo. He isn't an Italian wrestler...like Valentin Kalika isn't an american coach!

Minguzzi is an Italian wrestler and won a gold medal in Greco. In the same Olympic event USA Wrestling team won only one bronze medal.

Wrestling was kicked out of Olympic games because the corruption was the core businesses. The current ruleset is better but there are a lot of troubles and controversial points. This sport needs a big step.

Way to not address my point about you being completely off the mark about why the US doesn't do as well as it should.. mainly the culture in our development progrsms and we still produce our OWN medalists.. which you are trying to deviate from or poo poo.

I'll be the first to say the US needs to do better internationally. But much like the issues with UWW. Changing rules arbitrarily or just saying US wrestlers need "more diverse" is putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Because the issues are institutional. And honestly it's become more and more clear how little you actually know or trained/competed at a high level. Especially because most of the things/rules you want happen to look "cool" more than have actual practical value to the survival and growth of the sport. I should have realized this before that you're much closer to a bjj hobbyist than anything

And as far as styles and medal count.. while you never hesitate to criticize american wrestlers for primarily using leg attacks.. I seen to never hear the same criticism of the Japanese wrestlers who ive only ever seen hit leg attacks or Sadulaev who I've only ever seen hit his fireman's and single leg.. oh wait you just like critiquing american wrestlers.. hmm how about that

And as far as Cuba out medal in us. Yes that is amazing and what they've been able to do with the resources they have. Especially considering the amount of suspicion concerning throwing matches. And yes the US should be on the same level as Cuba. No one denies that,

But you're missing the point.. your counyry has produced exactly 3 medalists since 2000 now that are actually Italian with everything in your countries wrestling program geared towards that. Thank God you all successfully got Chamizo to come in otherwise your argument would be fucked completely

In summary, you very had to resort to "well we may suck, but the US should be doing better, and because I like throws, I'll criticize the US but no one else for using leg attacks, and then pretend I know enough to be an authority on what the US needs to do to fix it's probems"

Basically your way of compensating for your countries lack of success is to criticize the US and pretend you are "superior".. with nothing to back it up

Back