20 rep squat program and kicking power?

elbowskneeskicks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you out there who have done the 20 rep squat program, did it add to your kicking power or not? I'm currently on week 2 and it is fuckin hard. I would assume it would add some decent power as you are adding a lot of mass to your leg and getting a lot stronger in your squat.

Hey guys, for those of you out there who have done the 20 rep squat program, did it add to your kicking power or not? I'm currently on week 2 and it is fuckin hard. I would assume it would add some decent power as you are adding a lot of mass to your leg and getting a lot stronger in your squat.

Not really. The main thing that increased my kicking power is by improving my kicking technique and kicking the crap out of the bag as rapidly as possible.

Power comes from the hips, i.e. how quickly you rotate them as you land the kicks.

As for the 20 rep squats, I just did them as a way of challenging myself and primarily for shits and giggles. Now I just keep my rep ranges from 1-3.

Last edited:
And one more thing: you'll get more power out of your leg kicks if you throw them at a 90 degree/slightly downward angle (like the Dutch Thai boxers) rather than at an upward diagonal path. You'll also avoid a potential leg break a la Anderson Silva.

Last edited:
I dunno if it'll improve kicking power, but nothing improved my leg size/strength like 20-rep squats. Now, its not a sustainable program, but the gains won't leave if you keep up with higher volume (like Sheiko).

There are better, more effective ways to train. I've done 20 rep squat to completion once, and all it did was put a bit of mass on my wheels. Not really the best way to spend time training if you want my opinion. Adding a set of 20 reps after your worksets is probably a better approach.

The goal of the 20 rep squat is work capacity, mass and practicing technique, that's about it.

Just kick more.

Back