1st time wearing a Gi - it's amazing!

soldier99

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've only rolled nogi before and I've read time and time again about the differences between nogi and Gi BJJ and honestly had a bias towards nogi. Yesterday was the first time I joined a Gi class and honestly i find it so much tougher. I am now converted - Gi is the shit. Every hater or nay sayer out there try rolling in the Gi and you'll witness the truth

why does it have to be either / or? I train both. I like both. Get over it.

@Dogstarman my post was , I thought, obviously written in humour. You're right it's not really an either or scenario There's a lot of propaganda out there between the two and although they're both very similar they're so different at the same time. I didn't appreciate the GI until I tried it and now I'm just voicing my appreciation.

Without getting into the debate of gi vs. no gi grappling in terms of effectiveness etc I will say this. Any time I put on a gi and tie my belt I feel good. Like I'm apart of something special. And I don't just mean a BJJ gi. Anytime I put on a jacket and belt in any art I've done (TKD, hapkido, etc) it just feels "right".

@Dogstarman my post was , I thought, obviously written in humour. You're right it's not really an either or scenario There's a lot of propaganda out there between the two and although they're both very similar they're so different at the same time. I didn't appreciate the GI until I tried it and now I'm just voicing my appreciation.

I'm coming from the opposite view point. I've been training pretty much solely in the gi since I started (little over 5 years now). I never really had anything against no gi but my school only teaches classes in the gi.

A few months ago one of our purples started a no gi open mat on the weekend. All of the guys who go (including me) talk about how much they love it. It's a completely different animal and really refreshing to have a different set of challenges. I tend to favor gi chokes as my submissions of choice and obviously those are not possible so it's opening up my game to different submissions and transitions.

I'm now firmly in the do both camp.

I've only rolled nogi before and I've read time and time again about the differences between nogi and Gi BJJ and honestly had a bias towards nogi. Yesterday was the first time I joined a Gi class and honestly i find it so much tougher. I am now converted - Gi is the shit. Every hater or nay sayer out there try rolling in the Gi and you'll witness the truth

my first 5 years of training were 90% gi, Ive dropped it about 2 or 3 years ago, dont remember, trained in the gi like 5 or 6 times tops in that spam of time, dont regret it a bit, even when I go to train in the gi and think, this going to feel awesome, it doesnt, I just dont have as much fun as I do no gi.

kind of like eddie bravo said, every time there was nogi before was like vacations day for me, then I said, fuck it, this is not my job, so Im allow to have vacations when I want.

Yeah I think it's about the something new feeling maybe. When someone does primarily a then tries b it's a whole new game and is exciting.

I like the gi because I'm a clumsy dude and like to roll slow, gi based guards can be fun too

I did nogi for the longest time before starting at my current gym. But I really enjoy the gi now, and I look at it as a handicap for myself. It's heavy and provides excellent grip for your opponent. It's like running with a weight vest, haha.

I did nogi for the longest time before starting at my current gym. But I really enjoy the gi now, and I look at it as a handicap for myself. It's heavy and provides excellent grip for your opponent. It's like running with a weight vest, haha.

I don't know, I always felt like it made rolling easier. Once you get a little grip fighting and choke defense down, if you are winning you are basically taking liberties you couldn't otherwise, like scissor sweeping people by holding onto their collar and shit.

But I'm an optimist.

I don't know, I always felt like it made rolling easier. Once you get a little grip fighting and choke defense down, if you are winning you are basically taking liberties you couldn't otherwise, like scissor sweeping people by holding onto their collar and shit.

But I'm an optimist.
Exactly! This makes the rolling a lot harder for your opponent because they are wearing the damn GI =) You're just looking at the same thing from a different side.

Exactly! This makes the rolling a lot harder for your opponent because they are wearing the damn GI =) You're just looking at the same thing from a different side.

It's like playing a shooter when both you and your opponent are ESP / Aimbotting. It's fair, I guess.

It's like playing a shooter when both you and your opponent are ESP / Aimbotting. It's fair, I guess.
Yup! But in a regular fight, you still got the aimbot. haha.

I was the same joined a friend's gi class and was choked by my own gi. My little world was rocked and the fact that I spent almost $300 on something that was used too choke me.

Im still no gi and join a gi class once in awhile.

gi is super uncomfortable and you can't even see my bulge.
hate it.

No gi saves my hands, and it's more submission oriented which is really fun (especially learning to control people through the threat of submission rather than just being able to hold them down). Gi for me is more about the sweep/pass battle, and the intricacies of that never get old. I find that I like the standup more in no-gi too, it's just so easy for people to be defensive with the gi and without the stalling rules of Judo it can get very boring doing a lot of gi standup in BJJ. It's much easier to defeat stalling without the gi, and the hand fighting in wrestling is a lot more fluid than the gripping in Judo which tends to be much more violent.

I do both but I like no-gi better because I get to use more submissions such as heel hook and neck crank. A lot of people will freak out if you're doing IBJJF illegal moves on them in the gi.

Whenever I go to Judo classes, I wear my kimono/gi of course, it feels nice and it gives a sense of tradition and peace... kinda, but it is just a good feeling. But I love wrestling too, and no gi grappling, and striking sometimes too. It all depends on what you're used to.

Back