Economy 12 Years and $34 Billion Later, Canada's Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Is Set To Complete.

Excellent post! Sums up everything perfectly.

Next up is the First Nations civil war and the role of "professional protesters" that's currently being completely overlooked in the BC vs Alberta skirmishes.

The useless mainstream media is portraying First Nations and Green activists as a united front against pipelines. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Green activists truly wanted these pipeline projects dead, and actively redwashing the issue with their token representatives to achieve their goal, whereas most First Nations along the pipelines simply want a piece of the pie that their people are entitled to.

‘Eco-colonialism’: Rift grows between Indigenous leaders and green activists
Claudia Cattaneo | Financial Post

images

With flowing long hair, stoic expression and tribal garb, Martin Louie, the hereditary chief of the Nadleh Whut’en First Nation in north-central British Columbia, more than looked and acted the part of an aggrieved leader in the epic fight against the Northern Gateway oilsands pipeline.

He was quoted in the campaign’s news releases, filed complaints to the United Nations and spoke defiantly to investors. Environmental group Stand.earth even described him as the “poster boy” for Indigenous opposition to Enbridge Inc.’s pipeline.

The $7-billion pipeline was eventually cancelled last year, but Louie didn’t actually want to sink the project. Lost in the heat of the public battle was that he really just wanted to win more money for his impoverished community than the “ridiculous” $70,000 a year being offered by the company.

Louie’s experience is indicative of a widening rift between Indigenous communities and activists over natural resources, particularly in British Columbia, the focal point of major green campaigns generously funded by U.S. interests to thwart oil and gas exports.

The campaigns consistently portray a united Indigenous anti-development front and allies of the green movement, but some Indigenous leaders are becoming alarmed that they could be permanently frozen out of the mainstream economy if resource projects don’t go ahead.

They said in interviews they’ve had enough of activists invading their lands, misleading them about their agendas, recruiting token members to front their causes, sowing mistrust and conflict, and using hard-line tactics against those who don’t agree.

“The best way to describe it is eco-colonialism,” said Ken Brown, a former chief of the Klahoose First Nation in southwestern B.C. “You are seeing a very pervasive awakening among these First Nations leaders about what is going on in the environmental community.”

For instance, Louie is now one of the leaders of the proposed $17-billion Eagle Spirit pipeline, a Northern Gateway alternative championed by First Nations.

“When I went after Enbridge we were trying to gain more benefits for major projects going through our country,” he said.

Word soon got out about his differences with Enbridge and he was approached by a handful of lawyers representing green organizations who promised him assistance and funding, Louie recalled.

Their partnership ended bitterly because the two sides had conflicting objectives. He wanted better benefits; the activists wanted the project to fail.

The eventual failure of Northern Gateway was just one of a series of tipping points in recent months that worry some Indigenous leaders.

There was also the demise of Pacific NorthWest LNG and Aurora LNG, as well as the continuing challenges faced by the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion and other proposed LNG projects. These cancellations and obstacles are celebrated by activists, but also wiped out jobs and revenue for First Nations.

Eagle Spirit also faces difficulties. Led by Indigenous lawyer Calvin Helin and supported by First Nations along the proposed route through northern B.C., the project will collapse if the federal government goes ahead with a tanker ban that is making its way through Parliament.

The ban is related to the Great Bear Rainforest, which was created by the B.C. government last year to conserve a big part of the province’s northern and central coast.

Both initiatives are seen by greens as big achievements, but are disputed by First Nations such as the Lax Kw’alaams, who said they were advanced without proper consultation and prevent their members from making a living.

Brown’s experience with environmental activism started about a decade ago, when he was chief of his tribe and supported two run-of-river hydro projects.

The projects were attacked by groups such as Save Our Rivers and Western Canada Wilderness Committee for being harmful to fish habitat, and Brown’s band was criticized for being “sellouts and socially irresponsible people looking for the quick buck,” he said.

“What an onslaught it was. There was a high level of participation from people who had never been to the region … and they were all conveying the same narrative: ‘The sky is falling, keep your blood money, corporations are evil.’”

Brown, who now runs a consulting company, said similar tactics are used against other projects, too.

“If First Nations communities are willing to conform to the prescribed eco-narratives, they are going to get all kinds of accolades and praise, but if they don’t conform, it’s vitriolic hit pieces on these people,” he said.

Louie is still shaken by the backlash he experienced. After complaining to activists they were only using him to advance their cause, he said he was blackballed.

“Workers were spreading the word that I am not a good man, that I am there to ruin the environment, that I am making money on my own,” he said. “They were making me sound like I am taking millions from a lot of people. If I was in that position, I wouldn’t be struggling to pay for my car payments.”

Louie said he joined the Eagle Spirit project to achieve what he couldn’t with Northern Gateway: help his tribe become economically self-reliant.

Environmental organizations and Indigenous communities in recent years have found common cause in opposing some projects and in fighting the impacts of capitalism on the environment, said Dwight Newman, Canada research chair in Indigenous rights at the University of Saskatchewan.

A big reason is that Indigenous people have unique legal rights and by working with them, green groups are better able to block developments than if they relied on environmental grounds alone, he said.

Section 35 of Canada’s constitution states the Crown has a duty to consult with First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities and, where it anticipates adverse impacts, to accommodate to the extent reasonably possible.

So far, the law has been used against development, but one of the unknowns is whether Indigenous communities will use it to pursue economic development and override the environmental laws that block projects such as Eagle Spirit, Newman said.

“At some point, these arguments will end up in the courts, either directly as rights claims or as claims that there ought to have been consultation on potential effects on such rights,” Newman said in an article for the Macdonald-Laurier Institute, where he is a senior fellow.

“And the very presence of these arguments will overturn the expectations of many who think they have liberal views, but actually have ongoing paternalistic views that assume First Nations always need protection from development.”

Many conservation campaigns rely on U.S. funds because there is more money available there due to tax laws and an abundance of wealthy philanthropists.

Vancouver-based researcher and blogger Vivian Krause has tallied the large sums poured by U.S. groups to fight pipelines and gas projects in Canada by analyzing tax filings.

The biggest funder has been the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, which has granted more than $190 million to First Nations, environmental and other organizations working in B.C., Krause said.

The top recipient of funds from the Moore Foundation is Tides Canada, which received at least $70 million, she said. Tides Canada spends that money internally and re-grants it to other groups, particularly First Nations organizations.

Other big U.S.-based funders are the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and Pew Charitable Trusts.

“These American interests are trying to stop these projects any way they can, and one of the best ways is by leveraging the constitutional rights of First Nations in the courts,” Krause said.

The former United Nations worker said she pursued the research because of pleas for help from Indigenous leaders “who want jobs and social and economic prosperity (and) are sick and tired of what they call the paid protesters.”

One of those leaders is Gary Alexcee, a hereditary chief of the Nisga’a Nation near Alaska, and a member of Eagle Spirit’s Chiefs Council. He’s disappointed the federal government is giving more weight to environmentalists than to the needs of Indigenous communities.

“We were totally taken aback and surprised by the announcement of this tanker ban because of the government’s statement that they were going to include First Nations,” he said. “No one got consulted.”

Eagle Spirit would create jobs and opportunities “that people never had” in a region where other industries such as fishing, forestry and eco-tourism are doing badly, he said.

Alexcee, 70, said many in his community don’t support green campaigns. He said activists have come to the region in big numbers and picked “token” members to advance their causes.

Relations between activists and Indigenous people got really ugly in nearby Prince Rupert, in the territory of the Lax Kw’alaams.

The community was initially opposed to a liquefied natural gas project proposed by a consortium led by Malaysia’s Petronas because of its location on Lelu Island, which they believed would threaten juvenile salmon.

They became supporters after negotiating bigger benefits and getting the project to re-locate.

But a small group of opponents continued to protest. Their frontman was Donnie Wesley, who claimed to be a hereditary chief and led an occupation of the site. That opened the door for activists to come in and offer band members funds and assistance to defeat a high-profile target, said Mayor John Helin.

Dozens of “professional protesters” travelled to the area from as far away as California with funding from groups such as SkeenaWild Conservation Trust, which, in turn, was getting money from Tides and the Moore Foundation.

“More or less, they called me a traitor,” Helin said.

Petronas pulled the plug on the $36-billion venture this summer, which meant $2 billion in benefits over 40 years for the band were lost.

The Lax Kw’alaams chided Wesley for misrepresenting himself as a hereditary leader. The dispute over who represented the community ended up in court. Wesley lost and is appealing.

Greg Knox, executive director of Terrace, B.C.-based SkeenaWild, said there is a wide range of perspectives in Indigenous communities and while some may feel they lost opportunity when Petronas cancelled its LNG project, others were relieved because salmon were no longer threatened.

“This project was proposed for a terrible location,” Knox said. Many other LNG projects were also proposed, but “this was the only one that people were concerned about and there was big opposition to.”

His group also campaigned against Northern Gateway and supports the tanker ban, he said, but doesn’t have a position on Eagle Spirit yet because it doesn’t have enough information.

Stand.earth brags on its website that it has delayed or stopped 21 “dirty oil pipelines and train projects.” But it relied on Will George, a member of the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation, to confront Kinder Morgan Canada chief executive Ian Anderson at a recent Vancouver Board of Trade event promoting the $7.4-billion expansion of the Trans Mountain pipeline.

“I do not welcome you onto my territory. You are not welcome on my lands, and you certainly cannot be doing business here without Tsleil-Waututh consent,” George said, according to a statement distributed by the group.

“It’s really Indigenous nations protecting their land that allows us to win these fights,” said Stand.earth campaigner Hailey Zacks, noting 150 First Nations in Canada and the U.S. are opposed to the project.

For its part, Kinder Morgan said 42 directly impacted Indigenous communities are supportive of the pipeline expansion and have signed benefits agreements.

Zacks couldn’t speak to that, but said, “What I do know is that the communities that I work with are willing to do whatever it takes to stop it.”

Haida Gwaii is one community known as a hostile place for development of all kinds — and for those who dare to promote it.

Hereditary chief Ray Jones, 66, was harshly castigated for doing consulting work for Northern Gateway, which would have included tankers sailing to and from Asia, potentially impacting the island.

A former captain in the fishing industry with intimate knowledge of the coast, the 66-year-old said he supported the shipment of oil and gas and any other work that promised desperately needed employment.

His contract job with Enbridge involved building communications between the island community and the company, he said.

But Jones was up against powerful forces. Haida Gwaii’s leadership worked closely with activists, he said, “a whole pile of them,” particularly from the David Suzuki Foundation, visited the area regularly and influenced the local population.

The foundation did not respond to an interview request.

The community was so close-minded about getting an alternative point of view, few even asked him what his job with Enbridge involved, Jones said.

“Everybody said they hated me for working for Enbridge, you are the enemy, you are a traitor,” he said. “I have two sisters who don’t talk to me. I have had people call me the village clown, a lot of derogatory things. I’ve had my tires slashed, I’ve had somebody key my car. It’s ugly.”

The same attitude has killed other jobs, pushing young people away and leaving the rest with nothing to improve their lot, he said.

“I always tell my grand children, get a damn good education because I don’t know what you kids are in for in your life,” Jones said. “We lived in a good time.”

http://business.financialpost.com/f...etween-indigenous-leaders-and-green-activists

Last edited:
B.C. Green Party leader calls Alberta and Saskatchewan oil bans a bluff
CTVNews.ca Staff | April 21, 2018​

B.C. Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver says Alberta and Saskatchewan’s threats to cut off oil and gas to his province are just tough talk and nothing more.

“This is a lot of bluster -- a big lot of bluster -- and it’s just not helpful, to be blunt,” B.C. Green leader Andrew Weaver told CTV’s Question Period Host Evan Solomon in an interview that airs Sunday.

Following Alberta’s lead, Saskatchewan plans to table legislation next week that will allow the province to turn off its oil taps. Both moves are meant to serve as a sharp rebuke to British Columbia’s continued opposition to Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

“It’s outrageous, the approach they’re taking,” Weaver added. “What we’re talking about here in British Columbia is a duty for the government to actually look out for the interests of its citizens.”

That interest, Weaver explained, is pre-emptively avoiding a spill as diluted bitumen travels via pipeline from Alberta to B.C.’s southern coast. If the federal government pushes ahead with the controversial project without B.C.’s consent, it would be stepping on the province’s jurisdiction and thus acting unconstitutionally, Weaver said -- and so too would Alberta and Saskatchewan if they enact oil ban bills.

“Any legislation that actually caused an increase in price of gasoline would be very clearly ruled unconstitutional,” Weaver claimed. “People can huff and puff and try to blow houses down, they can introduce all the legislation that they want and say this and say that, but if they try to enact that legislation, the Attorney General in British Columbia has been very clear: we will sue.”

Speaking on Question Period, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe vehemently rejected Weaver’s stance.

“It’s not a bluff,” Moe said. “And second of all, speaking of unconstitutional, they’re out of their realm. The whole approval of this pipeline, which is the catalyst of this conversation, is under the federal responsibility.”

B.C., Moe added, has no jurisdiction to thwart a federally-approved project that would limit Canada’s landlocked provinces’ ability to export oil products.

“What we want is the construction to start on this pipeline so that we can… expand the value of our economy and expand our opportunities to contribute to this nation,” he said.

By tabling its own so-called ‘Turn off the Taps’ legislation, Moe says Saskatchewan is sending the message that it “won’t be here to fill up those fuel tanks” in B.C. after Alberta’s proposed oil ban bill goes through.

“This is not legislation that we in any way want to use, but we feel that this is about the only tool that we have,” Moe said. “We don’t like doing it, we don’t want to do it, but we will.”

“There’s no standing down,” Weaver retorted. “What we have said all along as B.C. Greens is we are here to use the rule of the law to ensure that British Columbians are able to be protected from a potential spill -- not if, but when it occurs.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/b-c...a-and-saskatchewan-oil-bans-a-bluff-1.3895631

With almost nothing left to lose, Albertans rise up against Ottawa's empty pipeline promises

0411protest.jpg

With almost no pipelines left to lose, Albertans of all backgrounds and political persuasions are uniting and rising against years of what they perceive as unfair treatment by the federal Liberal government and its eco-activist partners.

They are showing the tide is turning against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s strategy of transitioning Canada away from oil and gas – which has killed oil and gas investment, jobs, economic growth, and is now threatening the last oilpatch lifeline, the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion – while he prioritizes climate change policy and carbon taxes. The next chapter is uncharted political territory.

That pent-up anger spilled over at a Calgary rally in support of the Trans Mountain pipeline Tuesday and is expected to continue at a rally in Edmonton Thursday at the Alberta legislature. Rally 4 Resources and Canada Action organized both events in response to Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd putting the project on hold on the weekend in response to the British Columbia government’s continued opposition.

At least 1,000 oil workers, executives, unemployed, children, Indigenous leaders poured in front of the provincial government building on Tuesday to chant: “Build that pipe. Build that pipe. Build that pipe.’

This is no Vancouver, where demonstrators are on speed dial. This is the heart of the tight-lipped oil industry, where many never showed up at a rally before, and those who still have jobs keep their heads low.

Yet they came in suits, wheelchairs, strollers and waved signs like: Trans Mountain Keeps Vancouver Airport Flying, The World Needs More Canada, Alberta Oil Most Ethical In the World.

For Trudeau, that political uncertainty already has many names. They include Jason Kenney, the leader of the United Conservative Party, who is running to be Alberta’s next premier and drew big applause when he said: “Are you folks ready to fight for Alberta? Are you ready to fight for our country’s economic future?

“Friends, this is not just about a pipeline. This is about what country we live in. If we can’t get this project done, it tells us that we are no longer a country based on the rule of law. It tells us we are no longer a country that believes in internal free trade. It tells us that we are no longer that, we are turning our back on the future of prosperity. This isn’t just a fight for one project. This is not just a fight for the energy industry. It is a fight for Canada.”

Kenney blamed foreign-funded eco-activists for pressuring Trudeau to kill the Northern Gateway pipeline, the Energy East pipeline, surrender when former U.S. President Barack Obama vetoed the Keystone XL pipeline, and for doing nothing to get the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion built.

If the obstructionism is allowed to continue, Canada will lose hundreds of billions of dollars of value from its energy deposits, the ability to pay off debts, future pensions and education, while dictatorships like Saudi Arabia and Iran gain market share, Kenney told the crowd.

“If enemies of our economic progress succeed, we will simply hand a monopoly over the growing global energy market to some of the world’s worst regimes,” he said. “This isn’t just about our economy. This is about human rights, and the world is counting on Canada to win this fight.”

But it’s not just Kenney who poses a political threat. Alberta Premier Rachel Notley is so exasperated she’s putting on the table tougher measures that will deepen the divide with British Columbia, which has gotten away with years of oilpatch sabotage amid federal complacency.

Alberta Municipal Affairs minister and NDP MLA Shaye Anderson drew cheers when he said his NDP government brought in legislation to “cause economic pain to B.C.”

That pain involves cutting off Alberta oil shipments to B.C.’s lower mainland in retribution for Premier John Horgan’s stalling tactics. A bill is expected to be introduced in the Alberta legislature as soon as next week.

“Premier Horgan thinks he can harass the industry and go above the rule of law,” Anderson told the crowd. “I have bad news for him. He’s dead wrong. If we take this step — and it’s a step that we don’t want to take — it will bring economic pain.”

Trudeau’s Conservative opposition is also re-energized. Conservative Calgary MP Michelle Rempel took off the gloves against Trudeau for promoting fairness for so many – except for Albertans.

“It’s not fair to say that the jobs that we do are dirty. It’s not fair to denigrate an industry that provides energy products in one of the most ethical and sustainable ways in the world. It’s not fair to let vocal minority groups that don’t run on fact to control the fate and prosperity of an entire country,” she said.

Rempel said it’s also not fair to use taxpayers’ money to purchase a piece of Trans Mountain, an option that is on the table both in Alberta and in Ottawa, to solve a problem of Trudeau’s own creation.

She ridiculed federal Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr for claiming that “all options are on the table. What is that code for, energy sector? No options are on the table,” Rempel said.

And what about Canada’s Indigenous communities, which Trudeau has leaned on to legitimize his environmental agenda? They’re breaking ranks with him too, and becoming yet another powerful face of that political uncertainty.

“Stop using First Nations as pawns,” Metis Robbie Picard, founder of OilSands Strong, said at the rally. First Nations leaders in the Fort McMurray region caught up with Trudeau when he visited last week to tell him that as far as supporting the oilsands and the Trans Mountain expansion, “we are more united than ever,” Picard said.

http://business.financialpost.com/c...e-against-ottawas-empty-pipeline-promises/amp

Last edited:
B.C. looks to enact new rules for companies bringing more oil through province
New regulations would require companies to get a permit to increase oil shipments
Rhianna Schmunk · CBC News · Posted: Apr 26, 2018

david-eby-george-heyman-john-horgan.jpg

B.C. is asking its highest court to decide if the government has the right to bring in stricter rules for companies looking to ferry more heavy oil — like diluted bitumen — through the province.

That would include crude flowing by way of an expanded pipeline, such as Kinder Morgan's expanded project.

As part of its reference case filed Thursday morning, the province put draft legislation before the court that would amend the Environmental Protection Act with the new regulations.

The province is essentially asking the B.C. Court of Appeal if it has the jurisdiction to bring that draft into reality.

"In other words, can we do it?" Attorney General David Eby said Thursday.

It's the latest move in B.C.'s resistance to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

david-eby-george-heyman-john-horgan.jpeg

B.C. Attorney General David Eby, Environment Minister George Heyman and Premier John Horgan all spoke at the announcement from the provincial legislature

Under the draft, companies hoping to bring more diluted bitumen through B.C. would need a permit from the province.

Companies could also be required to show a spill-response plan in advance.

An independent director would grant the permits, making the decision based on the best scientific research available. The director would also consult with Indigenous groups and the broader public before making a choice.

The new legislation would only apply to the movement of heavy oils, which the province considers to be the highest risk in the event of a spill.

The proposed legislation would not affect current shipments of diluted bitumen through B.C. It would only apply to companies seeking to expand shipments.

There is no estimate on how long it will take the court to hear the reference case. In Canadian law, governments submit reference questions to the courts to ask for advisory opinion on major legal issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trans-mountain-pipeline-bc-reference-case-1.4636474

Hopes of solving Trans Mountain impasse dim as B.C. seeks new powers to curb pipeline
B.C. Premier John Horgan isn’t backing down on his opposition to the federally approved $7.4 billion project
By Claudia Cattaneo | April 26, 2018​

Any hope of a reasonable resolution to the Trans Mountain pipeline impasse dimmed Thursday, when a defiant British Columbia Premier John Horgan followed through with a lawsuit to confirm his province has jurisdiction to restrict an increase in bitumen shipments.

In other words, Horgan, sounding like a lot like a South American strongman dealing with reckless foreign profiteers, isn’t backing down on his opposition to the federally approved $7.4 billion project, despite: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan to back it through legislation and financial help, federal environment Minister Catherine McKenna’s offer to set up a joint scientific panel to enhance oil spill research, Alberta’s threat to cut off oil shipments, escalating gasoline prices in the Lower Mainland that are a prelude of things to come if Alberta turns off the oil taps, increasing support for the project by British Columbians, pleas from many First Nations to keep it alive so they can reap benefits negotiated with proponent Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd.

“By issuing this reference today, we are confirming that we believe that we have jurisdiction to ensure that if there was a catastrophic diluted bitumen spill we have the ability to take steps to protect our economy and our environment,” Horgan told reporters in Victoria. “The fact that a press release was issued from a Texas boardroom giving a deadline to parties in British Columbia, stakeholders as they call them, is entirely their business. And I have no quarrel with that. We have set ourselves on a course to protect the interest of the people of B.C.”

As previously threatened, Horgan, who heads a minority government clinging to power with the support of three Green MLAs, directed his government to file a reference case at the B.C. Court of Appeal to affirm its right to protect the coast. Specifically, the government asked the court to review proposed amendments to B.C.’s Environmental Management Act that would give it the authority to require a permit of its own – on top of the one the project has obtained from federal regulators — before allowing “hazardous substances” into the province.

The case would clarify whether the province has authority to prevent and manage releases into the environment of substances like diluted bitumen that could endanger human health, the environment or communities, even on federally regulated infrastructure like inter-provincial pipelines or railways.

Horgan’s power play raised concern for the only remaining Canadian pipeline still in progress — and for the future of the Canadian economy.

“I see this as close to a constitutional crisis,” said Robert Peabody, president and CEO of Husky Energy Inc. “The question is ‘how does this country work?’ Are provinces free to stop free economic movement of goods and services across the country? If Canada goes down that route it’s a very disturbing route for it to go down as a country,” Peabody said on the sidelines of his company’s annual meeting in Calgary.

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said “the whole economy would grind to a halt” if the B.C. court rules the province has the authority to regulate the flow of oil from the pipeline expansion.

The court case is discriminatory and redundant, said the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

“What Premier John Horgan and his government are doing is a sham,” said CAPP president and CEO Tim McMillan. “They are not acting in the best interests of Canadians, or British Columbians, but instead advancing their own political agenda.”

The B.C. Government’s activist-driven agenda against Kinder Morgan is sending chills through the investment community across Canada and beyond, warned Chris Gardner, president of the Independent Contractors and Business Association.

The court is expected to take longer to issue a decision than the May 31 deadline imposed by Kinder Morgan to resolve the jurisdictional impasse, said B.C. Attorney General David Eby.

The reference case wouldn’t even be the end of it. Horgan said his government could appeal.

In addition, he said, “We will have to see what other jurisdictions do, what our neighbours have to say about this, what other provocative actions they may be taking. We will have to see what other people do and respond accordingly. I don’t want to say this is the beginning or the end, this is another step.”

You’d never know from the fighting language used by the B.C. premier that the pipeline has been safely transporting oil through the province for more than 60 years.

Or, as pointed out by the federal environment minister McKenna in a letter Thursday to B.C. environment Minister George Heyman, that Canada already has a mountain of regulation to ensure a world-leading regime to transport oil and products, including: the Railway Safety Act, the Pipeline Safety Act, the National Energy Board Act, the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, the Marine Liability Act, the Fisheries Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, and that Ottawa has pledged to spend an additional $1.5 billion to protect its coasts and marine environment.

So far, the only catastrophe related to a B.C. pipeline is Horgan’s handling of the Trans Mountain expansion.

http://business.financialpost.com/c...eks-new-provincial-powers-over-trans-mountain

Justin Trudeau’s Texas-size pipeline crisis
by J.J. McCullough | April 26, 2018

GMITTKQYIM2XLHL7DAWXPMS5NI.jpg

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a Calgary Stampede Breakfast in Calgary, Alberta, in July.

Polls suggest that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will face a tougher battle for reelection next year than many expected. Significant voices in the Canadian press — and not just center-right ones — have moved sharply against him and are entrenching the notion that his once-uplifting government has become stagnant and annoying, obsessed with public relations stunts and politically correct busy-bodying at the expense of much else.

It’s against this backdrop that Trudeau finds himself thrust into a pipeline crisis that could prove the defining test of his fast-ending first term. Forced into the unglamorous task of settling a high-stakes jurisdictional dispute, supporters and foes alike wait to see whether a prime minister best known for symbolism and charisma can muster actual leadership.

There is, at present, only one pipeline that links the oil fields of Alberta to ports on the coast of British Columbia. Known as Trans Mountain, it has shipped both refined and crude petroleum for more than six decades, yet growing appetites for oil in the United States and Asia are straining it to its limit. In 2013, Texas-based parent company Kinder Morgan announced its intention to double the flow by building a second Trans Mountain pipeline along roughly the same route.

Environmentalists began protesting immediately, but for a while the larger politics of the plan remained ambiguous.

Though British Columbians are stereotyped as tree-hugging nuts, the province’s center-left political class has long been under pressure to hug the middle and judge energy projects on a case-by-case basis. Liberal Christy Clark, then the province’s premier, promised to be tough but fair in evaluating the new Trans Mountain, and when her even more left-leaning rival, New Democratic Party (NDP) leader Adrian Dix, announced flat opposition late in the 2013 provincial election, it was dubbed an irrationally radical position. Many blamed the “Kinder Surprise” for his defeat, including senior statesmen in his own party.

The statesmen’s critique, however, rested on dated assumptions of the role of oil in Canadian politics. The rise of climate change as a defining issue has made arguments about energy jobs increasingly unpersuasive to progressive voters in urban and suburban communities where the “labor movement” is now dominated by middle-class workers in teaching, health care and government. Last year, the British Columbia NDP and its new leader, John Horgan, once again ran opposing Kinder Morgan, and, with the help of the Green Party, were able to form a narrow governing coalition by sweeping greater Vancouver and relegating the Liberals to the energy-producing rural north and east.

From this shaky standing — Canada’s first coalition-type government in 30 years — Horgan has been waging war against Kinder Morgan, famously vowing to use “every tool in the toolbox” to prevent the pipeline expansion. So far, this has included numerous obstructionist court challenges contesting the pipeline on regulatory technicalities, which the premier of Alberta calls “esoteric jurisdictional debates for the purposes of harassing a project to death.”

In doing so, Horgan comes into conflict with Trudeau, who, like his Liberal counterparts in British Columbia, holds that the pipeline project is environmentally conscious enough to be justifiable. In 2016 he gave it Ottawa’s official blessing — albeit with 157 “binding conditions” — as is his constitutional prerogative.

Yet the role of pipeline champion remains an awkward fit for Trudeau, who has based much of his progressive brand around a willingness to spend political capital on green causes, including dragooning the provinces into a national carbon tax, and imposing onerous regulatory burdens on future energy projects, including demands to factor in “the intersection of sex and gender” and “traditional aboriginal knowledge.”

Trudeau’s logic holds that this should give him a moral pass — or, as it’s currently called in Canadian jargon, “social license” — to approve the occasional pipeline in the name of the greater economic good. Albertan oil is an $80 billion industry that props up numerous other sectors and provides ample tax revenue for Ottawa. Petroleum shipments from the Pacific Coast are one of Canada’s most valuable exports.

In practice, alas, the politics of pragmatism appeases no one.

On the right, Trudeau is condemned as a ditherer, a man whose Solomonic pretenses of listening to both sides — as he did in an emergency summit with the leaders of British Columbia and Alberta last week — amount to functional opposition. Kinder Morgan has warned that it will abandon the project at the end of May — after sinking more than $1.1 billion into it — unless the government provides “clarity on the path forward.” As punishment for his intrusion on federal turf, Trudeau could play various forms of economic hardball with Horgan (as the government of Alberta is doing), but has instead opted to simply provide Kinder Morgan with a cash infusion to buy time.

Progressives, meanwhile, smell a hypocrite. Virtually everyone on British Columbia’s activist left, including environmentalist groups and powerful local politicians, has allied with Horgan against Trudeau — or “Crudeau,” as Canadian protesters in London called him last week. Even if the pipeline remains relatively popular across British Columbia, small left-wing voter shifts away from Trudeau’s Liberals could cost his party seats in the next election, given their narrow number of victories last time.

Trudeau is skilled at personifying a certain notion of Canada, embodying flattering stereotypes about mostly superficial things. But he’s also the leader of a G7 nation with tangible interests that require work to protect. Assuming Trans Mountain does eventually fail — the third pipeline project to flop under his watch — Canadians will enter an election season in which their prime minister’s fitness for office may well prove the ballot question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-size-pipeline-crisis/?utm_term=.10e65de92420

Last edited:
Justin Trudeau’s Texas-size pipeline crisis
by J.J. McCullough | April 26, 2018

GMITTKQYIM2XLHL7DAWXPMS5NI.jpg

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a Calgary Stampede Breakfast in Calgary, Alberta, in July.

Polls suggest that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will face a tougher battle for reelection next year than many expected. Significant voices in the Canadian press — and not just center-right ones — have moved sharply against him and are entrenching the notion that his once-uplifting government has become stagnant and annoying, obsessed with public relations stunts and politically correct busy-bodying at the expense of much else.

It’s against this backdrop that Trudeau finds himself thrust into a pipeline crisis that could prove the defining test of his fast-ending first term. Forced into the unglamorous task of settling a high-stakes jurisdictional dispute, supporters and foes alike wait to see whether a prime minister best known for symbolism and charisma can muster actual leadership.

There is, at present, only one pipeline that links the oil fields of Alberta to ports on the coast of British Columbia. Known as Trans Mountain, it has shipped both refined and crude petroleum for more than six decades, yet growing appetites for oil in the United States and Asia are straining it to its limit. In 2013, Texas-based parent company Kinder Morgan announced its intention to double the flow by building a second Trans Mountain pipeline along roughly the same route.

Environmentalists began protesting immediately, but for a while the larger politics of the plan remained ambiguous.

Though British Columbians are stereotyped as tree-hugging nuts, the province’s center-left political class has long been under pressure to hug the middle and judge energy projects on a case-by-case basis. Liberal Christy Clark, then the province’s premier, promised to be tough but fair in evaluating the new Trans Mountain, and when her even more left-leaning rival, New Democratic Party (NDP) leader Adrian Dix, announced flat opposition late in the 2013 provincial election, it was dubbed an irrationally radical position. Many blamed the “Kinder Surprise” for his defeat, including senior statesmen in his own party.

The statesmen’s critique, however, rested on dated assumptions of the role of oil in Canadian politics. The rise of climate change as a defining issue has made arguments about energy jobs increasingly unpersuasive to progressive voters in urban and suburban communities where the “labor movement” is now dominated by middle-class workers in teaching, health care and government. Last year, the British Columbia NDP and its new leader, John Horgan, once again ran opposing Kinder Morgan, and, with the help of the Green Party, were able to form a narrow governing coalition by sweeping greater Vancouver and relegating the Liberals to the energy-producing rural north and east.

From this shaky standing — Canada’s first coalition-type government in 30 years — Horgan has been waging war against Kinder Morgan, famously vowing to use “every tool in the toolbox” to prevent the pipeline expansion. So far, this has included numerous obstructionist court challenges contesting the pipeline on regulatory technicalities, which the premier of Alberta calls “esoteric jurisdictional debates for the purposes of harassing a project to death.”

In doing so, Horgan comes into conflict with Trudeau, who, like his Liberal counterparts in British Columbia, holds that the pipeline project is environmentally conscious enough to be justifiable. In 2016 he gave it Ottawa’s official blessing — albeit with 157 “binding conditions” — as is his constitutional prerogative.

Yet the role of pipeline champion remains an awkward fit for Trudeau, who has based much of his progressive brand around a willingness to spend political capital on green causes, including dragooning the provinces into a national carbon tax, and imposing onerous regulatory burdens on future energy projects, including demands to factor in “the intersection of sex and gender” and “traditional aboriginal knowledge.”

Trudeau’s logic holds that this should give him a moral pass — or, as it’s currently called in Canadian jargon, “social license” — to approve the occasional pipeline in the name of the greater economic good. Albertan oil is an $80 billion industry that props up numerous other sectors and provides ample tax revenue for Ottawa. Petroleum shipments from the Pacific Coast are one of Canada’s most valuable exports.

In practice, alas, the politics of pragmatism appeases no one.

On the right, Trudeau is condemned as a ditherer, a man whose Solomonic pretenses of listening to both sides — as he did in an emergency summit with the leaders of British Columbia and Alberta last week — amount to functional opposition. Kinder Morgan has warned that it will abandon the project at the end of May — after sinking more than $1.1 billion into it — unless the government provides “clarity on the path forward.” As punishment for his intrusion on federal turf, Trudeau could play various forms of economic hardball with Horgan (as the government of Alberta is doing), but has instead opted to simply provide Kinder Morgan with a cash infusion to buy time.

Progressives, meanwhile, smell a hypocrite. Virtually everyone on British Columbia’s activist left, including environmentalist groups and powerful local politicians, has allied with Horgan against Trudeau — or “Crudeau,” as Canadian protesters in London called him last week. Even if the pipeline remains relatively popular across British Columbia, small left-wing voter shifts away from Trudeau’s Liberals could cost his party seats in the next election, given their narrow number of victories last time.

Trudeau is skilled at personifying a certain notion of Canada, embodying flattering stereotypes about mostly superficial things. But he’s also the leader of a G7 nation with tangible interests that require work to protect. Assuming Trans Mountain does eventually fail — the third pipeline project to flop under his watch — Canadians will enter an election season in which their prime minister’s fitness for office may well prove the ballot question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-size-pipeline-crisis/?utm_term=.10e65de92420

Trudeau is the worst person to have in power at a time like this. He cannot just blabber on about feminism and climate change, wear silly socks, attend a gay parade or hide in Europe until the heat on this issue dies down. Trudeau has no backbone and no brain. He is easily the worst Prime Minister in the history of Canada.

Trudeau is the worst person to have in power at a time like this. He cannot just blabber on about feminism and climate change, wear silly socks, attend a gay parade or hide in Europe until the heat on this issue dies down. Trudeau has no backbone and no brain. He is easily the worst Prime Minister in the history of Canada.

I don't disagree. Even Trudeau Sr (who I don't like very much) would've put the boot on Horgan's throat very quickly when he started to pull his stunts. The man didn't have very smart policies but he was no coward. His son however...

Theres alot of shit going on in canada right now that needs to be addressed by someone who has enough sack to risk their political career. Even if its the wrong choice its better than sitting on the god damn fence talking out both sides of your cowardess mouth.

An article attacking Trudeau and the Pipeline. The comment section is worth reading as many of the comments balance out the anti-pipeline bias of the article:

Trudeau is losing faceoffs in his own end

It may not be buyer’s remorse with voters just yet, but it is certainly buyer’s disappointment. Canadians dumped the Conservatives for a young, attractive politician who believed in all the right things: democracy, the environment, transparency, electoral reform, inclusiveness, feminism, and LGBT rights. Trudeau was the not-Harper candidate, the personification of sincerity with a great smile.

But what voters are getting is very different: a manipulative, secretive and occasionally deceitful politician who, on a bad day, could give Stephen Harper a run for his money when it comes to disingenuousness.

...his political comeuppance will boil down to two words: Kinder Morgan. This is the project that has sucked the credibility out of the prime minister, though there are certainly other issues which took the shine off before his face plant on this file. Trudeau’s justification for the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion is an intellectual sand castle. He claims Canadians can have it both ways: prudent stewardship of the environment and resource exploitation.

The prime minister has offered another reason for forcing Trans Mountain on British Columbia. He says he has to do it because he promised voters in 2015 he would deliver a pipeline from Alberta to tidewater. He is practising the virtue of keeping his word.

Really? Didn’t he also promise a new deal for First Nations, electoral reform, access to minister’s offices under freedom of information and the end of subsidies to the oil industry? Why is he set on keeping his promise on pipelines and not keep these other pledges?

Outrage in Alberta after feds discovered funding anti-pipeline group
Wednesday, April 25, 2018​

Many people are fuming after learning that the Liberal government, while championing the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline project, has been helping fund a B.C. group whose aim will be trying to stop it.

Dogwood, a citizen’s action group with offices in three B.C. communities is looking to hire an individual who will “help their organizing network stop the Kinder Morgan pipeline and tanker project”.

The position is being funded through Ottawa’s summer jobs grant which means that taxpayers will be ultimately paying the salary of whoever is hired.

While critics are upset that the move is seen as the government working against Trans Mountain, the news has also touched a nerve with many others because that same grant used to help religious groups hiring for summer camps until that support was pulled just recently.

The Liberal government said that those groups just needed to sign a charter document but many said that signing it would mean they agreed with a number of ideas that were outside their principles, something they couldn’t do.

UCP leader Jason Kenney says that the move exhibits Justin Trudeau’s preferential treatment of certain groups.

“The federal government will give handouts to organizations that are promoting civil disobedience and breaking the law and trying to obstruct legally federally approved pipelines. This is what you get with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau; he will crack down on people he doesn't like, like religious charities while rewarding environmental organizations involved in illegal protest.”

Trudeau defended his decision on Wednesday, saying the Liberals believe in free speech and the same position was funded by the Conservative party when they were in power.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/outrage-...covered-funding-anti-pipeline-group-1.3902708

To be fair I think the same group got funding during the Harper era. I still think it's horse shit that Horgan and Weaver can do whatever the hell they want without any fear of retaliation from the feds.

The outrage comes from the fact that the same government made funding applicants sign a waiver stating that they support abortions.
Removing government funding from faith based groups that genuinely help communities, while at the same time supplying groups who's mission statements directly call for shutting down Canada's economic driver.

Hal Kvisle is now saying the expansion is toast without massive funding from the feds. As someone who makes a living off Alberta oil and gas, the last thing I want to see is the government sink tax payer money into this. Let the project fail and move on.

The outrage comes from the fact that the same government made funding applicants sign a waiver stating that they support abortions.
Removing government funding from faith based groups that genuinely help communities, while at the same time supplying groups who's mission statements directly call for shutting down Canada's economic driver.

Hal Kvisle is now saying the expansion is toast without massive funding from the feds. As someone who makes a living off Alberta oil and gas, the last thing I want to see is the government sink tax payer money into this. Let the project fail and move on.

You don't have to tell me the Federal Libs are pieces of shit. I think most Canadians know that by now. I don't want to see taxpayer money poured into this either but I think not getting bitumen to tidewater and selling it to US with a massive discount is unacceptable as well. Of all the stupid shit Justin spends taxpayer money on I would hate this the least.

i would vote yes in heartbeat to get the hell out of this fucked up country. This country is so divided it's disgusting.

Can't wait for another new tax to pay for the pipeline that Notley says Alberta will fund.
C'mon over, no cultural or political divisions to speak of over here in the US.

I think he looks great in that hat. I also think he cares, and that's what I want from government: Love. I envy Canadians.

You don't have to tell me the Federal Libs are pieces of shit. I think most Canadians know that by now. I don't want to see taxpayer money poured into this either but I think not getting bitumen to tidewater and selling it to US with a massive discount is unacceptable as well. Of all the stupid shit Justin spends taxpayer money on I would hate this the least.

We will be at the mercy of a single buyer forever. Provincial and federal coffers lose to the tune of 40ish million dollars a day.
It takes a lot to get under my skin, but the way the left in Canada has thrown around "social licence" over the past few years regarding the economy boils my blood.
Irregardless of which party is in power, no major export pipelines will get built in Canada until we stop turning a blind eye to the cash pipeline coming from South of the border directly into the pockets of our home grown eco-terrorists.

Back