1-2 Footwork Tutorial

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Hey guys, here's a quick video demonstrating the basic footwork for your 1-2 while moving forward. I cover how to maintain balance and leverage for power, and how to move your head offline with the punches to ensure you don't get caught by counters while stepping in. Try it out, let me know what you think!

So if you're not shifting weight forward on the jab, where's the power coming from? I've actually been working on this a lot, trying to make sure I'm still driving off the back leg for the cross, but I've found that it's hard to do because much of my weight is coming forward on the jab. It seems like you're saying that's wrong, and I should leave most of the weight back to transfer into the cross?

So if you're not shifting weight forward on the jab, where's the power coming from? I've actually been working on this a lot, trying to make sure I'm still driving off the back leg for the cross, but I've found that it's hard to do because much of my weight is coming forward on the jab. It seems like you're saying that's wrong, and I should leave most of the weight back to transfer into the cross?

You still are shifting weight slightly forward on the jab, but you're doing it more with your footwork than by leaning. You'll also find this way has power because of increased leverage.

Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a power jab. There's a more advanced footwork where you use a hop step to explode forward, which will let you use a slightly harder jab and throw the 2 quicker, but you'll also get put on your ass if you get timed doing that.

Really enjoying these.

Short and simple. Do a second video for the hop step jab and 2 and one while doing 1-2 going backwards. I think it will be helpful :) Nice job - short and simple loved it. Loved the past where you showed the 2 common mistakes.

@a guy gave a solid explanation and I'll add a small bit as well.

1) Consider if you're stepping in too far with the jab. If you're overstepping with the lead leg, you won't have enough weight back for the rear.

2) Stay down on the jab. If your body rises on the jab, your rear leg loses some of the coiled spring that powers the rear hand.

3) A way to kind of get a feel for some it is to feel your body weight if you throw the jab purely with ankle flexion. This will be hard to explain so ignore it if it doesn't make sense. Get your stance, guard up, etc. Now, bending the front leg just at the ankle, letting the knee slide forward towards the toes but without lifting up your heel. Let the jab flick out of that. To keep your weight balanced and to avoid leaning, you'll find that slightly dropping your center helps, as does opening up the hips. This will help keep the rear leg loaded. Once you can really feel the mechanics of the lead knee moving forward and the body dropping to keep the rear leg loaded, you'll have a better feel of how much of a step you can take before you start compromising rear hand power.

If that doesn't make sense, ignore it.

Thanks for the video. I am having problems reaching my opponent with my cross. I noticed in your video that s you throw the cross you are actually lifting your right foot off the ground and replanting it about six inches forward. I have been leaving my right foot on the ground and rotating it as I throw because I thought that you were supposed to drive through that foot the whole time. This might be why I am ending up short. Are you losing any power/drive by lifting your rear foot off the ground mid punch?

let me know what you think!
@a guy didn't want us to see his ghetto kitchen, so he moved it to a ghetto room instead.

Thanks for the video. I am having problems reaching my opponent with my cross. I noticed in your video that s you throw the cross you are actually lifting your right foot off the ground and replanting it about six inches forward. I have been leaving my right foot on the ground and rotating it as I throw because I thought that you were supposed to drive through that foot the whole time. This might be why I am ending up short. Are you losing any power/drive by lifting your rear foot off the ground mid punch?
You need to plant to get the power in, on videos it may seem like its lifted, but for a second it becomes grounded.

Problems when being short of your opponent on your punches means footwork. The distance between lead and rear should be the same when pursuing, if you pursue and end up in an extended lunged position with your heel (rear) raised too high, there's going to be nothing left.

Another problem is garbage padholders. Guys who hold pads/mits improperly, and you build up a habit hitting too far from their face. Its happened to me before

@a guy didn't want us to see his ghetto kitchen, so he moved it to a ghetto room instead.

You need to plant to get the power in, on videos it may seem like its lifted, but for a second it becomes grounded.

Problems when being short of your opponent on your punches means footwork. The distance between lead and rear should be the same when pursuing, if you pursue and end up in an extended lunged position with your heel (rear) raised too high, there's going to be nothing left.

Another problem is garbage padholders. Guys who hold pads/mits improperly, and you build up a habit hitting too far from their face. Its happened to me before
Thanks, just to clarify the order of your movements is the following correct? You first extend your jab and lead foot at the same time. Second the jab hits and lead foot lands. Third your rear foot quickly lifts and resets about six inches forward. Finally you drive off your rear foot and extend your rear hand.

Thanks, just to clarify the order of your movements is the following correct? You first extend your jab and lead foot at the same time. Second the jab hits and lead foot lands. Third your rear foot quickly lifts and resets about six inches forward. Finally you drive off your rear foot and extend your rear hand.
Usually the lead foot lands first and the hand lands. But its very close, and almost a millisecond difference

As you retract your jab hand, pull the rear leg forward, plant, then the cross comes

It sounds long, but it happens very fast, within 1-1.5 seconds

Usually the lead foot lands first and the hand lands. But its very close, and almost a millisecond difference

As you retract your jab hand, pull the rear leg forward, plant, then the cross comes

It sounds long, but it happens very fast, within 1-1.5 seconds
Thanks, I have not been pulling the rear leg forward before throwing the cross. I will give that a shot. It should help my range.

Hey guys, here's a quick video demonstrating the basic footwork for your 1-2 while moving forward. I cover how to maintain balance and leverage for power, and how to move your head offline with the punches to ensure you don't get caught by counters while stepping in. Try it out, let me know what you think!

Youre a damn good teacher no bs just the fundamentals done to perfection! Love it!

Your rear foot is mid air as you torque, meaning you loose rotational traction from the ground and power, is that something that just has to happen when you step and punch? You lose power from rotational traction with the twist of the foot but you gain power from the body momentum so its probably a more powerful punch with the step. But is the rotational foot traction with the ground something that has to be discarded to step and throw the right hand? (You still get the linear traction with the ground when the foot hits the ground but the foot still rotates mid air)

could you do a video on how to do proper bodyshots pelase?

Short and simple. Do a second video for the hop step jab and 2 and one while doing 1-2 going backwards. I think it will be helpful :) Nice job - short and simple loved it. Loved the past where you showed the 2 common mistakes.

Yea I'm definitely gonna do one on more advanced 1-2 footwork. A lot of people have been asking about that.

You're somewhat losing power and drive from the rear foot for the split second it takes to move the foot, but you're making up for it with the forward movement, weight shift and the groundedness when the foot lands.

You'll find that bringing the rear foot with you as you punch not only makes the punch a lot harder, it gives you more reach and leaves you in a more balanced position to follow up.

Youre a damn good teacher no bs just the fundamentals done to perfection! Love it!

Your rear foot is mid air as you torque, meaning you loose rotational traction from the ground and power, is that something that just has to happen when you step and punch? You lose power from rotational traction with the twist of the foot but you gain power from the body momentum so its probably a more powerful punch with the step. But is the rotational foot traction with the ground something that has to be discarded to step and throw the right hand? (You still get the linear traction with the ground when the foot hits the ground but the foot still rotates mid air)

For a split second you will lose that from the rear foot, but it facilitates the weight shift and that combined with the forward momentum and you sitting down on the punch on impact makes the punch much harder than if you just stood still and rotated.

Think of it like this: remember how I said to stomp in the video, almost like you're front kicking the ground? That engages every muscle in your leg, from your foot and calf all the way up to your glutes, much more than if you just tried to engage them without a step. It's almost like a plyometric thing.

For a split second you will lose that from the rear foot, but it facilitates the weight shift and that combined with the forward momentum and you sitting down on the punch on impact makes the punch much harder than if you just stood still and rotated.

Think of it like this: remember how I said to stomp in the video, almost like you're front kicking the ground? That engages every muscle in your leg, from your foot and calf all the way up to your glutes, much more than if you just tried to engage them without a step. It's almost like a plyometric thing.
I'm trying to get more pop in my cross. Would medicine ball exercises be good for that?

Awesome thanks bro!!

Back