•°•°~Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Where does he go from here?~°•°•

Where would you like to see Cowboy land?

• Total voters

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone is a top notch fighter. And given the right circumstances, fighting the right dudes at the right time he easily could have been the LW champ and even knocked off a defense or two. With a bit of luck (timing, the right opponent) and determination - while some guys get their golden opportunity and take full advantage of the moment to snag UFC gold - Cowboy has not had the chance to do so himself.

0000.gif

He plows through so many guys, the very best in the world, former champions and top ten guys and dismantles them with ease. So many times he has finished his opponents and made it look easy. The amount of finishes he has accumulated with KICKS is pretty insane and very fun to watch on a highlight reel.

Donald-Cerrone-vs.-Edson-Barboza.gif

His style is fun to watch as well. He comes to fight. He does not coast or play things too defensively, he is always working to throw strikes offensively and go for the finish.

He went on a nice LW streak over the past few years, very very impressive run however his weakness seemed to be fighting RDA. The first time the fought, RDA had Cowboys number. Then after a huge impressive winning streak, Cowboy earned his title shot and you guessed it the current champ at that time was , RDA.

HardtofindWeirdHermitcrab.gif

The aftermath of that loss made Cowboy think of other options, and he decided to give WW a shot.

And he did very well. For a time. However now, after almost earning a title shot at WW - he now has 2 losses in a row. The Masvidal loss hurt me as a fan, anyways. I thought Cowboy was going to get through him easy, Mas being an average journeyman and all. Props to Mas, he proved the better man that night.

tumblr_o90khiHgpE1qa33wlo1_500.gif

Then of course on Saturday there was the tightly contested fan favourite matchup between Cowboy and former WW champion, Robbie Lawler. Lawler came on strong and made it a brawl early in round 1. Later in round 2, Cowboy got his rhythm back and did very well. Round 3 was closer but Robbie took that one as well. Depending on how you score each round, it could have easily been a draw or gone both ways. The majority of people saw it go Lawlers way. Me, myself I think it was a draw, but I can see how Robbie got the nod.

Where does Cowboy go from here? Should he remain at WW and keep trying harder? Or should he drop back down to LW where the current state of things is an absolute shark tank.. OR maybe even try his luck somewhere else? Is he too small for MW? What do you guys think?

165 if it comes to be

He lost a closely contested decision against the ex champ. There's still plenty for him at welterweight, and he is never more than a couple of fights away from a title shot. I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do against Maia next to be honest.

Roll that beautiful bean footage

Story combo was so damn pretty. He tried it on Lawler and Robbie just stepped forward swinging

Pre-USADA RDA > TRT Vitor. I will never forgive USADA for ruining them and also Pettis.

I would put on a little bit more muscle. He's a little outsized. Other than that, I don't see any big issues. He has the technique, chin, and cardio.

He looks good at WW. No shame losing a close fight to Lawler, that's the ex champ for fucks sake. It's not like Lawler isn't right at the top of the weight class.

I think Cowboy should fight Maia next.

Stay put, angle for a rematch with Lawler as the main event for a FS1 or Fox card. That fight needed to be five rounds, I've always said that about that matchup. It was a damn close fight, and a damn close fight with the number 3 guy and former champ who just lost his belt is something that raises your stock. A lot of people thought Lawler would steamroll him in the first, and that didn't happen.

170 is a much healthier weight for him. Another dream fight that would never materialize because they're training partners is Carlos Condit. Otherwise, we have some guys that could use a name fight like Ponzinibbio, Stun Gun Kim, or hell, Gunny Nelson.

Other less-sexy matchups at the division include Covington (he doesn't deserve a shot yet) or Usman. Even Maia, which doesn't sound fun.

Cowboy can do whatever the fuck he wants and it will be exciting as always<{JustBleed}>

I think he's gotta stay at WW. He's not going to be champ in any of the 3 divisions listed so might as well stay where you can handle the power and the weight cut. He'd get murdered at MW with his lack of striking defense and cutting to LW basically kills him too.

He should stay at ww. I like watching him lose.

I do not think Cerrone's stock took a big hit with his loss to Lawler. It was a very close fight and Cerrone looked good. He is still a top 170er and should get another top guy.

Who would you guys like to see Cowboy fight next?

Maybe Maia comes back to fight him. Although I don't think Cowboy could win this one and would hate seeing him get backpacked..

Perhaps Condit or Ponz?

I'd actually argue Cerrone's stock went up against Lawler. That was a razor close fight. He still rebounded very well after the Masvidal fight.

He should def. stay at WW. WW is still wide open. No reason for Cerrone to put his body through hell with the LW cut with the IV ban.

I'd like to see him against Ponzi scheme.

He should stay. The LW cut was taking too much out of him.

Voted WW but he is just as entertaining at lw.
Can be top 5 in any of em. Maybe even beat some good MWs if he bulks up a lot.

Whoever it is I hope Cowboy takes a good long break before his next fight. There is no need to rush back and fight again in 4 months just to help Dana’s plan.

Cowboy, if he decided not to ride off into the sunset, could rack up some good wins against the bottom half of the LW or WW division.

A fight with Felder would be fun for the fans, but risky for him.

Give him a non top 15 wrestle-boxer in either division. He's put in his work, he's earned it.

Back