‘You’re supposed to be my promoter not hater’ - Ryan Garcia clashes with Oscar De La Hoya again

He sure puts this shit on pretty thick. I’m starting to wonder if this is just a ploy to generate controversy and give him a more visible profile. Or maybe he’s just a little dick that is setting up his own demise.

his last fight did about 2.5X the number of sold tickets that Tyson Fury did vs Wallin
Linares-Morales was the headliner, I truly believe that whole Avery Sparrow getting arrested last minute was a big hoax, Garcia’s name was being used to boost ticket sales for Jaime Munguia headlining.

Im all for him making more than 200k if he fought a name, without a doubt he is a huge draw in Cali, him and Mares would draw big numbers.

He's buddying up with CLENelo of late so this is not a surprise - CLENelo is another ungrateful guy. Oscar is doing him a favour by extending his unbeaten streak. He's going to end up as the next Zab and get starched as soon as he faces stiff competition.

He's a huge draw in SoCal like others have mentioned, but that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. He's a REGIONAL draw.

Nowhere west of the Mississippi is this kid drawing 15,000 -- 20,000 right now. He hasn't fought the big names, and isn't fighting the big names.

This is the same issue Devin Haney's facing. He's another guy, all be it to a lesser degree, that is a a big deal in SoCal but is a nobody in the rest of the world.

If you want to be a global star you have to either travel over seas and fight big names or bring big name domestic/overseas guys to you. Hell...

Floyd didn't even become "the man" in boxing until he fought Oscar, a decade into his career.

Garcia has to wait for the winner of Loma/Lopez right now, or put himself out there against Tank asap. Otherwise he's going to have to wait until 2022 to have a shot at reaching the next level.

I dont know. It seems like his peers and contemporaries are making 2x as much as him per fight. That does kind of say something about the promoter in my opinion.
Also, he should realize that it is his mistake too. He hasn't fought anybody, and he agreed to that contract. Fight out the contract and then move on.
Even if he is being "underpaid" looks like he gained access and connections to Canelo and his camp. Which you can't put a price tag on.
He should look at it like a tradeoff and just do business differently when this contract runs out.

I dont know. It seems like his peers and contemporaries are making 2x as much as him per fight. That does kind of say something about the promoter in my opinion.
Also, he should realize that it is his mistake too. He hasn't fought anybody, and he agreed to that contract. Fight out the contract and then move on.
Even if he is being "underpaid" looks like he gained access and connections to Canelo and his camp. Which you can't put a price tag on.
He should look at it like a tradeoff and just do business differently when this contract runs out.

Eh, Devin Haney was highly overplayed in his fight on the Logan Paul undercard, but has otherwise made less dough than Garcia. Besides Haney, both Stevenson and Teofimo have made more money because they've had higher profile Amateur careers and fought higher profile guys in the pro ranks.
Again, i don't see how number of Instagram followers a fighter has translates to purse size, independent of big name opposition and title fights.

Ryan has to fight legit champions and contenders and compete for more legit straps at 135 or above.

Sounds like an ungrateful brat who is getting too big for his boots. Fight good opponents = get good pay.

Eh, Devin Haney was highly overplayed in his fight on the Logan Paul undercard, but has otherwise made less dough than Garcia. Besides Haney, both Stevenson and Teofimo have made more money because they've had higher profile Amateur careers and fought higher profile guys in the pro ranks.
Again, i don't see how number of Instagram followers a fighter has translates to purse size, independent of big name opposition and title fights.

Ryan has to fight legit champions and contenders and compete for more legit straps at 135 or above.
The question is is it enough to Double him...
Not just more....but double

I think Ryan is doing well actually and I think Golden Boy is doing well by him in terms of giving him the right guys. I dunno. I don't think he is a big enough star yet to demand a big purse.

probably needs a pretty big step up in competition for that but they are hesitant to put him in there for a reason

I get your point. He's had less fights than Haney, Tank, Teo, and against lesser opposition (and yes, i put Haney's win over Burgos over Garcia's win over Fonseca since Burgos is more proven at the world level.).

Ryan's situation is largely due to Corona virus more than Golden Boy imo. They af him lined up to fight Linares, which would have been a 7 figure payday and a stepping stone to superstardom. Garcia is really just coming off like an impatient kid. He's behind Loma, Teo, Tank, and maybe even former Olympic Silver Medalist Shakur Stevenson at this point. It is what it is,

Ryan's one big fight away, he just has to be patient and execute. No amount of Instagram fan-girls will jump him to the front of the line

I get your point. He's had less fights than Haney, Tank, Teo, and against lesser opposition (and yes, i put Haney's win over Burgos over Garcia's win over Fonseca since Burgos is more proven at the world level.).

Ryan's situation is largely due to Corona virus more than Golden Boy imo. They af him lined up to fight Linares, which would have been a 7 figure payday and a stepping stone to superstardom. Garcia is really just coming off like an impatient kid. He's behind Loma, Teo, Tank, and maybe even former Olympic Silver Medalist Shakur Stevenson at this point. It is what it is,

Ryan's one big fight away, he just has to be patient and execute. No amount of Instagram fan-girls will jump him to the front of the line
Anybody would be a little miffed if a coworker with similar tenure and title was making twice as much as them...even if you acknowledged that they were better at the position...

The Covid Linares thing does make sense though. I wonder what the money is going to be like with no live gates. It may be smart of him to make big noise now before everyone else does.

Only Golden Boy can answer that question, and their answer seems to be yes-- at this point.

I think ryan is making a mistake getting stuck on the money. He's one fight away from being next in-line for a shot at either Lomachenko or Teo Lopez.
He just need to keep his eye on the prize. It sounds like he's letting the social media fan-girls and what not go to his head.

Only Golden Boy can answer that question, and their answer seems to be yes-- at this point.

I think ryan is making a mistake getting stuck on the money. He's one fight away from being next in-line for a shot at either Lomachenko or Teo Lopez.
He just need to keep his eye on the prize. It sounds like he's letting the social media fan-girls and what not go to his head.
I 100% dont blame him for trying to money grab before a potential fight with Loma or Lopez. LOL I dont think he stands a chance and those fights could be career ending big payday wise and physically/mentally.

I 100% dont blame him for trying to money grab before a potential fight with Loma or Lopez. LOL I dont think he stands a chance and those fights could be career ending big payday wise and physically/mentally.

Career ending seems a little melodramatic. The only way they'd be career ending is if Ryan got a call from Vin Diesel to be in the next Fast and The Furious movie and suddenly got thoughts about being a movie star...

And i'd actually give him a better shot against Loma at this point for no other reason that he'd enjoy significant advantages in age, height, and reach over him... plus he has the power and hand speed to maybe land a big shot.
Teo would wipe the floor with him at this point. Too fast, too strong, too skilled. Ryan would be a sitting duck for Teo's counters.

Career ending seems a little melodramatic. The only way they'd be career ending is if Ryan got a call from Vin Diesel to be in the next Fast and The Furious movie and suddenly got thoughts about being a movie star...

And i'd actually give him a better shot against Loma at this point for no other reason that he'd enjoy significant advantages in age, height, and reach over him... plus he has the power and hand speed to maybe land a big shot.
Teo would wipe the floor with him at this point. Too fast, too strong, too skilled. Ryan would be a sitting duck for Teo's counters.
I dont think it's a reach at all. I dont know if I'm just misjudging him unfairly by his teen boy appearance but I definitely think hes getting into waters way too deep

I dont think it's a reach at all. I dont know if I'm just misjudging him unfairly by his teen boy appearance but I definitely think hes getting into waters way too deep

I hear you. It's impossible to tell right now. That's what step up fights are for. He needs one.

But i like that he's big for the weight class and fights tall, has quick heavy hands. Don't know about his chin, heart, or feet, but he's got most of the tools to be a major threat. Hopefully the Linares fight or something like that comes together for him this fall.

I'm just worried that he's trying to skip a step to get a big fight asap, wrong move, or get big money for a gimme fight, wrong move.

He should just trust in GB... i think they view him as their next big Golden Goose (sorry Vergil Ortiz) and are grooming him to be Canelo's successor. He just needs to have patience

Back