Social ‘Don’t get sick. It’s too expensive’: medical debt is putting more Americans in financial crisis

The problem is that health insurance plans are all over the place in terms of pricing and coverage. For young healthy individuals a HDHP with an HSA is ideal. Better if out-of-pocket max is relatively low in case of an emergency. If not a great plan with reasonable premiums and affordable out-of-pocket maxes is ideal. When my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes he transferred hospitals, stayed in the PICU and floor for 4 nights. We only had to pay $500 for everything, however we now had to pay for his medication, supplies, frequent endo visits, etc. His CGM only had 50% coverage so it added up fast, but luckily our out of pocket max was only $3k so we stocked up on everything after hitting the max. I can't imagine if we had a crappy plan that only has % coverage. Probably would have cost us $25k+ if that was the case.

I've said it before, it doesn't matter what the insurance arrangements are when you get charged $50 for an Aspirin. Eventually it is unsustainable

The whole for profit system has to be torn down

There are so many separate problems that it almost feels like completely starting the entire system over is the only way. Insurance taking advantage of patients in need of care, hospitals being consistently understaffed and paid for what they do. Drug manufacturers basically getting to live in the wild west setting costs. Plus let's not forget how many resources would be freed up if people lived even moderately healthy.

Something discussed in my local council was granting funding and lower rent costs for healthy "fast food" options. We have a place not far from me called clean eatz, and you can get all kinds of healthy and filling meals for around $10. It's super quick too, yet the Chipotle around the corner is dropping 2000 calorie burritos on land whales who think having blood sugars in the 400s is a good thing.

End rant

Back