Stomps are illegal but...

Stomping is a foul as per the Unified Rules however it appears foot stomps are OK but not if they are a grounded oppoenent.

13. *Stomping of a grounded fighter: Stomping is considered any type of striking action with the feet where the fighter lifts their leg up bending their leg at the knee and initiating a striking action with the bottom of their foot or heel. (Note) Axe kicks are not stomps. Standing foot stops are NOT a foul. As such, this foul does not include stomping the feet of a standing fighter. *” A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. It needs to be clear to all fighters that once an opponent has become grounded, Stomps of any kind are not permitted, even to the feet.

What the pussification is this now?...

Never knew this ...was this a recent change?

Axe kick to the hand it is then ..hahahah

Edit: Now that I posted this, I am not sure about body stomps to a grounded opponent, there are a few famous examples of axe kicks to the body of a grounded opponent (GSP vs Mayhem) but idk if there is a difference in the rules for axe kicks vs stomps

Someone a few comments up just posted the rules where stomps are illegal but axe kicks are allowed. Basically, it's only a stomp if you're bending your knee, which is why axe kicks (done with a straight leg) are an exception.

You can but nobody is going to have their hand down like that for a long time. There is also the grounded opponent rule. You aren't allowed to stomp a grounded opponent.
Show me the rule please.

Edit: I see it in a post above.
That's retarded.

I see no reason why you couldn't stomp the body, arms, legs of a grounded opponent.

Show me the rule please.

Edit: I see it in a post above.
That's retarded.

I see no reason why you couldn't stomp the body, arms, legs of a grounded opponent.
It's a bit of an outdated rule.

"Stomping a grounded opponent.Stomping a grounded opponent is not allowed. Stomps can only be utilized in the standing position against another standing fighter."

There might be a weird situation where they are playing that Weidman game with the hands/palms down on the floor and you can stomp the hands. I think that scenario is quite rare. I don't think it is that effective. Remember those kidney kicks from the guard? They used to be illegal but they should be allowed now. Nobody is using them anymore though.

You can’t stomp on the ALJO. You stomp on teh WEIDMAN.

Funny thing they are both Ray Longo fighters.. something in the Longo training
I like calling this weak ass position the Aljo

It's a bit of an outdated rule.

"Stomping a grounded opponent.Stomping a grounded opponent is not allowed. Stomps can only be utilized in the standing position against another standing fighter."

There might be a weird situation where they are playing that Weidman game with the hands/palms down on the floor and you can stomp the hands. I think that scenario is quite rare. I don't think it is that effective. Remember those kidney kicks from the guard? They used to be illegal but they should be allowed now. Nobody is using them anymore though.

A pet peeve of mine is these rules that really don't do shit to make anyone safer but rather enforce preventing some PERCEIVED imaginary danger.

For example. As the legend has it, 12-6 elbows are illegal because some stupid asshole on an athletics (likely boxing) commission, saw a guy break cinder blocks with a 12-6 elbow and said:

"We can't allow that, someone will DIE, they will surely fracture their skull!!"
<Ellaria01>

But 11:30 - 5:30 elbows are fine, and a slight arc and everything is honky dory but 12-6= death.

And that stupid ass fucking rule is still a rule and still results in stopping possible fight ending sequences and taking away a natural instinctive strike that should be relatively effective and I do not for a second believe it is any more dangerous than the variety of extremely inpactful legal strikes like front kicks, roundhouse kicks, spinning kicks, axe kick, spinning elbow, ngannou just regular punches, Alex Pereira left hook...

Let them FIGHT.

No biting, fishhooks, trachea strikes, maybe no finger/toe breaking and otherwise have at it.
Let them use all the techniques.
Let guys on their back up kick, that's a no Brainer, why limit the guy on his back from defending himself in any way??

I'm even sort of open to allowing groin strikes and just having fighters wear steel cups (or trying it out and seeing what happens)

I know what I just posted will never happen, but there is a place in between that I hope could be settled on eventually.

Allowing KNEES on the ground with a 1 meter "warning track" so no one's head gets pinned. That's a perfect compromise. It will return danger to North South and to well executed sprawls, thus punishing wrestlers spamming shitty lazy takedowns. More action, more balance of the rules for strikers vs wrestlers, a deterrent to boring tactics, a TOOL for good wrestlers and incentive for guys to pass guard and pass to high side control or North south thus creating more scrambles and chances for sweeps, win win win.

You can stomp the body too, like people throwing axe kicks to the body - Kongo landed one on Cro Cop, GSP round 1 vs Mayhem and Izzy vs Poatan tried it (can't remember if it landed) and I feel like others tried it too.
And on TUF Rountree soccer kicked Dereese (who later fought in PFL) in the body a couple times to end a TKO.
Axe kicks yes stomps no. Those were axe kicks

As long as your not hitting the head ...of a grounded opponent with your kicks or knees or stomps... everything else is legal...
Can’t you pretty much kick/stomp/knee anything except their heads?

No, you've never been able to stomp the body

You can stomp the body too, like people throwing axe kicks to the body - Kongo landed one on Cro Cop, GSP round 1 vs Mayhem and Izzy vs Poatan tried it (can't remember if it landed) and I feel like others tried it too.
And on TUF Rountree soccer kicked Dereese (who later fought in PFL) in the body a couple times to end a TKO.
You can't. That's WHY they axe kick, because they're not allowed to stomp

Also while we’re here I’ve always been confused about the spiking rule while we have legit KO’s like Jessica Andrade vs Rose
They basically never call it. I think there's something about controlling it. Like, If they have the ability to let go but don't, then it's on them. It's only on you if you spike them without them being able to stop it

Stomping is such a satisfying verb.

SMH no one stomps a hand! It turns into the hand punching the foot

I thought the rule was that the hand that makes you a "downed opponent" has to be supporting weight, but it isn't enforced that way, so I could be wrong. If it is supporting weight, seems better to kick the shit out of it and knock it out from under them. If it's not supporting weight, probably worth the gamble to throw a head kick for the almost certainty they would lift their hand to block it and they wouldn't be "downed" by the time it landed, like Vitor did to Jones but missed.

So, hypothetically, if a fighter was knocked to the ground in a seated position and his opponent kicks him in the chest or stomach with the same motion as a push kick, that would be considered a foul under that rule?

The spiking rule applies to nothing except a literal piledriver: holding someone completely inverted, and dropping them straight down on their head. Every other slam is fair game.

And in the case of Rose-Andrade, even a piledriver would have been legal because it was during a submission attempt.

I think this is the most 'if he dies, he dies' of all the enduring MMA rules, even though it is logical (person going for sub needs to protect themselves).

It's odd that grounded knees are banned but turning your opponent into a quadriplegic is perfectly legal under, as the greatest fighter in history would say, the right circumstances.

Certainly not a game changer but the thought just popped in my head:
"Stomps are illegal but not foot stomps?"
Maybe the guy who say someone smash a block of ice with their 12-6 elbow also saw someone stomp a block of ice into a million pieces in the same exhibition?

Do that and you'll get a madman rep
Rousimar-Palhares-01-mmanytt-630x383.jpg

Back