Media Joe Rogan UFC vs Boxing - Remember this?

Who won this discussion?

• Total voters
Yes, Joe was and still is a perfect ambassador for the sport of MMA.
Watching him tear up talking in the UFC 300 post-fight interviews really reflected it.
The man literally worked the first few event for free! He didn’t need it on his CV, and was clearing his already busy schedule to work the mic for them sometimes.

Edit: I just realised there’s a poll. Who’s the retard that voted that lil Lolo won this discussion? Reveal yourself so we can all make fun of you.
I remember when Joe first started with UFC. He weighed about 50 lbs. less, and had A LOT more hair!

I think some fights are still fixed in boxing and even the UFC. These Saudis are throwing billions toward the fight game. You’re crazy to think they aren’t ensuring the outcome is in their favor.

Boxing has a historical record of having numerous fixed fights, championship or not. Pride had known fixed fights. You think that just went away? It’s like saying it’s 2024 so no more war will happen.

Last edited:
Neither, though Lou was really ignorant to the skill of mma

Also mma ain't swallowing shit. Maybe bigger than boxing right now, debatable, but it will never kill boxing or come close to the level of fame it once had at its peak

Come back to me when an mma fighter is the most famous athlete in the world, hell the most famous man on the planet. Boxing has had this over the years especially with Ali and Tyson

Both sports will co exist to a niche community and casuals will sometimes tune in to mega fights

Lou DiBella on boxing in 2022: "It’s a niche sport and if the UFC doesn’t watch out, they’re going to be a niche sport too."

It's pretty clear who won

Boxing is easily infiltrated by people like Jake Paul. lol.

Half-trolling aside though, both sports are great for us who enjoy watching combat-related entertainment. I honestly wish people don't aggressively argue which one is better. It's apples to oranges for me.

Apples you can eat without peeling so they are better

Ryan Garcia earned more than the entire UFC 299,300 & 301 combined roster, possibly more

There's a big difference between talking loudly, getting laughs, and winning an argument, of course, Joe came out as the winner as far as people who can't see further than next weekend are concerned.

The reality is, and I am sorry if I can't watch the video again but I remember it back in the day, Joe's whole thing was that boxing was done, that MMA would take over, and that there wouldn't be any more boxing superstars past that point, Joe Rogan also said at one point (not in this interview) that Tim Sylvia was a better HW champ than Fedor.

Needless to say, after this video we've had how many boxing superstars? Canelo, Crawford, Inoue, Bivol, Beterbiev, Fury, Joshua, Garcia, Tank, and I could go on and on, each one of those guys makes in one fight than an entire UFC card of fighters makes for one show and its worse, the two biggest profile fights from two of MMA's biggest stars, Conor and Nganou, were against boxers in the boxing ring and they both lost.

Can you make it worse? Yes, Joe has changed his tune horribly after that video, he praises boxers the whole time, and he has always been a Canelo fan, Canelo being one of those stars that would never happen according to this video.

How can Joe win an argument when most of what it was based on was wrong? Because he talks louder, and faster and makes fun of his opponent better, sort of why people think Trump wins debates.

The UFC has grown as a brand tremendously, but as a brand, much like pro wrestling, the actual sport of MMA is still in the sewers, you remove the UFC and you get shit like Bellator vs PFL, Phil Baroni with his prison suit vs the corpse of Marco Ruas or some shit like that, it's degrading. Boxing doesn't die because it is a global sport, even if showtime dies and hbo dies, the sport has enough of a global following organicaly, someone will always be there to put money in to it because there will always be money to be made.

It's also ironic this video was posted now when boxing is having one of it's strongest years, crawford, loma, ryan, haney, bivol, beterbiev, canelo. All of those guys either they recently fought or they will fight before summer gets going.

So, did it sound like Joe won that argument? Absolutely, Lou sucks at that, Lou is also an insufferable PoS and everybody enjoys watching him get destroyed like that.

But did Joe actually win, was he right? 100% no

Last edited:
There's a big difference between talking loudly, getting laughs, and winning an argument, of course, Joe came out as the winner as far as people who can't see further than next weekend are concerned.

The reality is, and I am sorry if I can't watch the video again but I remember it back in the day, Joe's whole thing was that boxing was done, that MMA would take over, and that there wouldn't be any more boxing superstars past that point, Joe Rogan also said at one point (not in this interview) that Tim Sylvia was a better HW champ than Fedor.

Needless to say, after this video we've had how many boxing superstars? Canelo, Crawford, Inoue, Bivol, Beterbiev, Fury, Joshua, Garcia, Tank, and I could go on and on, each one of those guys makes in one fight than an entire UFC card of fighters makes for one show and it worse, the two biggest profile fights from two of MMA's biggest stars, Conor and Nganou, were against boxers in the boxing ring and they both lost.

Can you make it worse? Yes, Joe has changed his tune horribly after that video, he praises boxers the whole time, and he has always been a Canelo fan, Canelo being one of those stars that would never happen according to this video.

How can Joe win an argument when most of what it was based on was wrong? Because he talks louder, and faster and makes fun of his opponent better, sort of why people think Trump wins debates.

The UFC has grown as a brand tremendously, but as a brand, much like pro wrestling, the actual sport of MMA is still in the sewers, you remove the UFC and you get shit like Bellator vs PFL, Phil Baroni with his prison suit vs the corpse of Marco Ruas or some shit like that, it's degrading. Boxing doesn't die because it is a global sport, even if showtime dies and hbo dies, the sport has enough of a global following organicaly, someone will always be there to put money in to it because there will always be money to be made.

It's also ironic this video was posted now when boxing is having one of it's strongest years, crawford, loma, ryan, haney, bivol, beterbiev, canelo. All of those guys either they recently fought or they will fight before summer gets going.

MMA isn’t even as big as pro wrestling. The most famous MMA fighters of all time are who? Conor McGregor? Chuck Liddell? Lesnar?

Compare that to The Rock, Ali, Hulk Hogan.

Pro wrestling is the fake version of MMA. They pretend to fight. And it’s still way more popular.

MMA is to combat sports what Hockey is to team sports. It has a fair size following but it’s never going to overtake soccer or football or basketball etc.

People hating on Lou DiBella, but he's not entirely wrong. MMA and Boxing are two different sports and even though they are both "combat" sports, they do occupy a different space. People who don't care about the ground or clinch game, which is a lot of people, are going to gravitate towards boxing. Those that care more about everything will gravitate towards MMA. Lou was write when he said its like comparing wrestling to boxing.

This was back when MMA was still pretty young. A better comparison today would be comparing the UFC to PFL or One FC. Boxing, wrestling, MMA, Muay Thai, Judo, Sambo, etc. are all their own things because of the rulesets. In terms of which one generates the most revenue from PPV sales, its still boxing. But overall, im sure MMA may actually put on way more events per year.

Joe was also wrong here about the direction of boxing. The biggest MMA star (Conor) fought Floyd in boxing, not in MMA. Same with Woodley, Diaz, and Askren fighting Jake Paul in boxing, not MMA. Boxing is still popular as ever, and hearing the "boxing is dying" was a pretty stupid take.

People hating on Lou DiBella, but he's not entirely wrong. MMA and Boxing are two different sports and even though they are both "combat" sports, they do occupy a different space. People who don't care about the ground or clinch game, which is a lot of people, are going to gravitate towards boxing. Those that care more about everything will gravitate towards MMA. Lou was write when he said its like comparing wrestling to boxing.

This was back when MMA was still pretty young. A better comparison today would be comparing the UFC to PFL or One FC. Boxing, wrestling, MMA, Muay Thai, Judo, Sambo, etc. are all their own things because of the rulesets. In terms of which one generates the most revenue from PPV sales, its still boxing. But overall, im sure MMA may actually put on way more events per year.

Joe was also wrong here about the direction of boxing. The biggest MMA star (Conor) fought Floyd in boxing, not in MMA. Same with Woodley, Diaz, and Askren fighting Jake Paul in boxing, not MMA. Boxing is still popular as ever, and hearing the "boxing is dying" was a pretty stupid take.

I've always been surprised how kickboxing isn't bigger. K1/Glory is so much more fun to watch than boxing, and in my mind they do occupy the same space.

I've always been surprised how kickboxing isn't bigger. K1/Glory is so much more fun to watch than boxing, and in my mind they do occupy the same space.
Muay Thai is the shit. Always seems to be a war.

I would love for the UFC to throw on a Muay Thai fight on a card like One does. It would be huge.

MMA isn’t even as big as pro wrestling. The most famous MMA fighters of all time are who? Conor McGregor? Chuck Liddell? Lesnar?

Compare that to The Rock, Ali, Hulk Hogan.

Pro wrestling is the fake version of MMA. They pretend to fight. And it’s still way more popular.

MMA is to combat sports what Hockey is to team sports. It has a fair size following but it’s never going to overtake soccer or football or basketball etc.
Pro Wrestling has been around for 2-3x longer than MMA has to be fair.
I said it on another post, but UFC/MMA has only been around for 30 years and its still growing massively.
Boxing has been around for nearly 100+ and Pro Wrestling has been around just about the same time.

Lou Dumbella would be a more appropriate name.

Dude came off as a complete fuckwad. Also, this was when Joe Rogan was far more tolerable.

Boxing isn’t controlled by a single shady, corrupt promoter whose own mother hates him.

Instead it’s controlled by many shady, corrupt promoters whose relationships with their mothers are unknown

Yeah MMA is not unified but the UFC is of course. And boxing is all over the shop, much more competition. Both structures have strengths and weaknesses, I think the UFC is better for the fans though

Reactions: HHJ
Back