• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Interesting comment from Mike Tyson on athlete longevity:

Yeah no doubt. I’m a black belt in bjj. 51. 4 th Dan TKD. JKD experience. When I was younger I was such an angry young man . Competed a lot . Won some. Lost some. Got in street fights. Now the idea of getting in a fight seems crazy . Even competing. I no longer have desire anymore . It’s just not a thing. I’m way more chill and even my rolling reflects that.

I think it’s weird in some ways how that works. My perspective is a bit different.

I played major junior hockey as a teen. I was a bottom 6 forward and fought a lot becsuse i had to. I didn’t really enjoy it and my coach was always on me to be more physical or meaner. Inside though, I was just a scared and homesick kid who wanted to be a goal scorer.

I played semi professional last year in my mid-30’s in my first season back and I felt like a totally different player. I felt way more intense on the ice, meaner and I loved dropping the gloves. I did a fair bit of scoring which I haven’t done since midget and played a very north/south, crash the net style and put up some nice numbers and half the time I was thinking of scrapping.

Total 180. Maybe I’m just a crusty old man now. I guess what I’m getting at is I believe Mike but different situations will affect people diffèrently. It all boils down to the hunger and how bad you want it and age will affect that a ton. I think family and financial success will stop a lot of guys hunger but some are just dogs and will always need that.

That's one perspective. Its the Mike Tyson perspective.

I'm just as wild and crazy now as I was back in my late teens and early twenties. I'm thirty-two. The main difference is that I'm doing it productively and intelligently nowadays.

I mean bro, being old doesn't mean you've lost your fighting spirit. That's a silly excuse.

I’m 32 and am unbelievably calmer than when I was late teens early 20s. I train and love bjj and Muay Thai more than ever but get the most joy out of helping others in the gym prepare for fights, helping new people, and just the chess match aspect of sparring or rolling. Ten years ago I was getting into fights constantly, now I absolutely hate competing and haven’t since 2020. Maybe I should get my test levels checked

I'm 37 and want to get in maximun shape just once. I know soon I'm 40. Damn I feel young. But till 40 you can get in prime shape. No plans after. Right now I wanna be atheltic.

That's one perspective. Its the Mike Tyson perspective.

I'm just as wild and crazy now as I was back in my late teens and early twenties. I'm thirty-two. The main difference is that I'm doing it productively and intelligently nowadays.

I mean bro, being old doesn't mean you've lost your fighting spirit. That's a silly excuse.
Lol you're only 32. Mike is like 60 now. Mike at 32 was more of a savage than most 32 year olds.

Back