Dustin Poirier's 3rd title shot is even more undeserved and stupid than Colby's 3rd.

its obviously a replacement fight since islam wants to stay at lw and needs to fight at some point soon. armaan is the genuine challenger but he can't fight immediately after that Do Bronx fight. What was left was JG but he just KOed by Max. All that was left for Islam to fight in June was Dustin, Dariush would probably the second best option after Dustin but it would be a blantantly obvious substitution since he got bodied by both Do Bronx and Armaan.

Just because the number beside their name is lower doesn't mean it's a better win.

I mean are you really going to argue that beating Masvidal in 2022 after he had been sparked out by Usman is a better win than a streaking BSD who many thought would beat Poirier?

Dustin really doesn't deserve a third TS but there is simply no argument to be made that he is less deserving than Colby was.
not to mention, that masvidual fight was nearly 2 years ago from his title shot. i like colby for the drama that he brings but lets not pretend he had the merit to get that random TS

LW division really is still the same contenders as when it was back in kabobs day. Islam is literally going to run through the same fighters as his teammate.

That's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Other than maybe Arman, no "newcomers" have been able to breakthrough.

The reason people thought Poirier would lose to BSD is because Poirier is past his prime, was coming off getting KTFO, and was openly talking about how he doesn't know if he has his drive anymore.

Not because BSD is some world beater. He was #13 for a reason.

Yes this is all contrived bullshit cause Islam purposefully only wants to fight in June so that only Poirier is available. Who still has to himself turn around on short notice and give Islam more advantages as if he hadn't already been stacking shit in his favour so he can tie the LW defence record with a hopeful lay up.
Oh come on, many considered and still consider Benoit to be an up and coming prospect. Everyone knew Masvidal had nothing for Colby.

But no one is saying anything because Dustin is a fan favorite. Let's compare both scenarios. Colby got finished in his first got a second won and lost in a war. He then beat Masvidal who was just outside the top 5 (although not in skill level but on paper he was) and hadn't fought Leon previously and had more things to offer him from a stylistically challenging perspective than Dustin has for Islam. Dustin had just got fucking slept by Gaethje who in turn was just slept by Max. Not to mention Arman just beat Oliveira who also beat Dustin. Beats number 13 ranked Benoit St Denis and gets a title shot on a 1 fight win streak. And it's not like Dustin's two title fight losses were controversial or even particularly competitive, he got finished convincingly. And all real MMA fans knows he's probably the easiest fight in all of the top 10 for Islam. Seriously what challenges does he present? His below average takedown defense and defensive wrestling? His "nasty guillotine" LMFAO. As a Muslim myself I know fighting during Ramadan is excruciating but it's over now and had Islam waited a few more months he could have had either Max or Arman both far more viable challenges that present a risk. Even the biggest Poirier fans know what's going to happen. Is anyone else really excited for another Islam free win?

not to mention, that masvidual fight was nearly 2 years ago from his title shot. i like colby for the drama that he brings but lets not pretend he had the merit to get that random TS
Yeah I'm not here to argue that Dustin is all that deserving but if we're really going to break this down he definitely deserves it more than Colby did. Even if you want to ignore their most recent wins Dustin at least holds wins over four other current ranked LW's. In Colby's case I'm not sure he had a single win over a ranked WW when he was given the third shot.

The theories that he was given the TS to drop the charges against Masvidal are most likely accurate.

Last edited:
Colby avoided top contenders, Dustin fights top contenders and defenders his spot, they are not the same.

The point being made is that he didn't beat a contender. Coming off a knockout loss and beating the 13 ranked guy shouldn't merit a title fight.

100% not deserving, but 300% a more deserving case than Colby. Get that shit outta here. It matters that Colby Usman 2 was a war, but doesn't matter that Oliveira cheated against Poirier? It matters that Colby never fought Leon but doesn't matter that Poirier never fought Islam? It matters that Arman just won, but doesn't matter that Belal got leap frogged on the most deserving streak in modern history AND Shavkat was coming up too? Comon bruv.

LW division really is still the same contenders as when it was back in kabobs day. Islam is literally going to run through the same fighters as his teammate.

That's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Other than maybe Arman, no "newcomers" have been able to breakthrough.
I definitely get what you mean.
LW is in a very weird position whereby, it's definitely still very competitive (just like how it's always historically been touted as the deepest/most competitive division -- I truly believe it still is) , BUT AT THE SAME TIME, the freaking contenders are still the same rotation of fighters from Khabib's era (for the most part).

So what I mean is, it's still super competitive but ironically quite "Stale" in terms of new fresh faces in the top 5 or even top 7. If you know what I'm saying.

Competitive meaning that, in an alternate universe, Islam/Charles/Arman/Justin could all be champs in 4 different parallel universes if anyone has a good fight night against the other (In saying this, of course I still favor Islam).

But the interesting thing is, the veterans are guarding their position so damn well. BSD, Fiziev, Dariush (okay i know hes not new but yea Charles derailed him) have all been derailed by the veterans. And if we go back further in time, Gregor Gillespie was touted as the guy to beat Khabib, but the thing is, Kevin Lee derailed his climb to the top.

I chuckled at the part where you said that LW division is in such a sad state of Islam literally running through the same opponents as Khabib. I chuckled but I know there's truth to what you're saying.

This makes me think of something...... You know how some Khabib fans use the argument that, if he had stayed on, he could have racked up 15 title defenses, thus using this to argue for Khabib's goatness? (By the way, I'm a Bibs fan but no, I don't ever use this argument). But the more you think about the points that you and I just made, the more it makes one wonder and think "Fuck, it seems like the hypothetical argument that Khabib could have gone 5 more years undefeated isn't that far-fetched and is RATHER REALISTIC". We are 4 years post-Khabib-retirement, and Dustin Freaking Poirier is gonna fight for a title in June. It's realistic that Khabib could have gone undefeated until 2025.

its obviously a replacement fight since islam wants to stay at lw and needs to fight at some point soon. armaan is the genuine challenger but he can't fight immediately after that Do Bronx fight. What was left was JG but he just KOed by Max. All that was left for Islam to fight in June was Dustin, Dariush would probably the second best option after Dustin but it would be a blantantly obvious substitution since he got bodied by both Do Bronx and Armaan.
Amazing how Islam sat out for 8 months till conveniently only Dustin could fight him on short notice.

It's amazing how you're literally in a thread that points out that Colby was coming off bigger ranked wins than Dustin in his title fights.

And here you are still somehow pointing out something completely wrong.
"Bigger ranked wins" is a little misleading since it was one win; and it was higher ranked, but on a guy on his way down and therefore not really a contender, not a guy on is way up who was becoming one; and was a full 20 months ago because he sat there the whole time just losing momentum on that one single losing streak win

Amazing how Islam sat out for 8 months till conveniently only Dustin could fight him on short notice.
Lol and here you are criticizing him sitting out while advocating he sits several more months to fight in a co-main event slot. He probably only fights once this year under your poorly planned ideas. He probably fights again this year if he fights in June. UFC will be breaking down your door with all your genius plans any day now.

Lol and here you are criticizing him sitting out while advocating he sits several more months to fight in a co-main event slot. He probably only fights once this year under your poorly planned ideas. He probably fights again this year if he fights in June. UFC will be breaking down your door with all your genius plans any day now.
Listen mate.

I too understand we have the opportunity to make life changing money by betting every single penny we can get our hands on on Islam beating Poirier.

But holy smokes have some goddamn respect for yourself.

And Poirier is going to get dominated in the wrestling department again. This is honestly a waste of a title fight. The UFC screwed Arman. Arman should be fighting Makhachev 3-4 months from now. But the UFC wanted to fill the UFC 302 main event, so they give Poirier an undeserved title shot.

Colby had just
Well, not just. It was nearly 2 years at that point

beaten a top 5 guy
Masvidal was #6

who had just fought for the title
Not 'just' here either. Colby was the last challenger by then. Masvidal fought his shit nearly a year ago by the time Colby fought him. He had been sitting out the whole time since

and was known as the 2nd best WW.
Eh, I'd say speculated to be, not known, since he didn't ever defend that spot. He was the 2nd best WW like Gus was the 2nd best LHW, based purely on his loss to the champ. Except Gus actually beat some relevant people around that time.

I still see nothing wrong with Dustin likely getting his last title shot
I mean, there's definitely a problem, but one that's due more to timing in this case than pure greed and un-meritous corruption like it was for Colby.

Regardless of the circumstances I still don't like that Islam has the chance to tie the title defense record by beating a featherweight twice and then Poirier who beat #12 after getting knocked out by Gaethje and defends every takedown with a guillotine..

Listen mate.

I too understand we have the opportunity to make life changing money by betting every single penny we can get our hands on on Islam beating Poirier.

But holy smokes have some goddamn respect for yourself.
Have some respect for yourself- markg171 when his blatantly contradictory and not at all biased logic is challenged.

It's amazing how you're literally in a thread that points out that Colby was coming off bigger ranked wins than Dustin in his title fights.

And here you are still somehow pointing out something completely wrong.

Beating the ghost of Tyron means nothing, hell even Jake Paul knocked him out, hugging Masvidal is is useless win too.

Last edited:
I mean there’s Ramadan that took some time off but also do you still think there’s any 155 lber in the ufc that can beat him after what he did to do bronx

Back