Zookeeper Gabes Animal Thread 4.0

He said this:

nicolas-cage-demon-lizard-shark-quote-guyism.png

A croc taking a quick bite from some lions. Pretty balls since its not that big of a croc.
http://www.safarious.com/en/posts/2...-fight-over-impala-kill-at-zungulila-bushcamp

Lol yeah really not that big and out of his element, he's lucky they just defended the prey and not considered to add some reptile meat to the dinner :icon_chee

Maybe only the mighty Gustave (or one almost as big) will have better luck at stealing the kill from a pack of lions on land. But if the pack have one or more males in i don't know how it will end

Lol yeah really not that big and out of his element, he's lucky they just defended the prey and not considered to add some reptile meat to the dinner :icon_chee

Maybe only the mighty Gustave (or one almost as big) will have better luck at stealing the kill from a pack of lions on land. But if the pack have one or more males in i don't know how it will end

I think any large dominant croc may take a swipe at that kill. There's some videos of crocs working together to steal kills. They are relatively smart for reptiles.

I think any large dominant croc may take a swipe at that kill. There's some videos of crocs working together to steal kills. They are relatively smart for reptiles.

Only lioness group like this i agree, a large one may just bite the dinner and drag it to the water suffering some scratches... but adding a massive (500-550 lbs) male pissed lion? Put these beatings is his work after all :icon_chee
The croc will have to drag the prey using mouth so he will have to drop it everytime he want fight back, and seem a lot of meters to do with a big lion + 2 or 3 lioness puting a beating on you :icon_chee

Yeah i seen videos of team crocs vs team lions in some kind of tug of war, with crocs try to bring the dinner on water and the lions to bring it far from it :icon_chee
But usually did'nt happen in situations where the kill is way more near to the water?

Only lioness group like this i agree, a large one may just bite the dinner and drag it to the water suffering some scratches... but adding a massive (500-550 lbs) male pissed lion? Put these beatings is his work after all :icon_chee
The croc will have to drag the prey using mouth so he will have to drop it everytime he want fight back, and seem a lot of meters to do with a big lion + 2 or 3 lioness puting a beating on you :icon_chee

Yeah i seen videos of team crocs vs team lions in some kind of tug of war, with crocs try to bring the dinner on water and the lions to bring it far from it :icon_chee
But usually did'nt happen in situations where the kill is way more near to the water?

I agree, it would be out of the ordinary but wouldn't be shocked. This was a decent ways away from the water and it was funny at the end when the lionesses rushed when the knew the croc was going over the edge. Reminded me of when someone tries to start a fight when they know people will hold them back.

I agree, it would be out of the ordinary but wouldn't be shocked. This was a decent ways away from the water and it was funny at the end when the lionesses rushed when the knew the croc was going over the edge. Reminded me of when someone tries to start a fight when they know people will hold them back.

Yeah, i seen it as "..and don't come back!" too :icon_chee
Lioness seem way more smarter and cat-like than males to me, lions seem to have that dog-like brawl attitude, maybe because like dogs (weaker and still waaay more aggressive than wolves) they have somebody that bring food to them so they care less being injuried and can't hunt the day after?

What i was meaning is a huge badass like dat boss :icon_chee

A really big croc maybe can still survive the beating from a cat like that + 2 or 3 of his wives and drag dinner at home... but it will be worth the price?
Have'nt all predators usually a more risk-reward mentality when they have to chose if try or not?

Eagles are pretty cool. Everybody asks why ours don't fly away because they adre in an open top exhibit. Ours are both rehab birds from the wild that couldn't be released du to injury. In fact most bald eagles in zoos are wild birds that were injured and couldn't be released.

Eagles are pretty cool. Everybody asks why ours don't fly away because they adre in an open top exhibit. Ours are both rehab birds from the wild that couldn't be released du to injury. In fact most bald eagles in zoos are wild birds that were injured and couldn't be released.

So they cant fly away or they dont fly away?

So they cant fly away or they dont fly away?

Most have been shot, electrocuted, injured by animal or hit by car and have broken a wing or something similar. They usually can't fly or if they can they are blind (worked with a blind one before)

Search Haast Eagle, extinct only 600 years ago

Dat shit was scary :icon_chee

That's awesome, I've never heard of that eagle before. It's funny that a bird that only weighs 30lbs could be so scary.

Great news, this is where I live (East Kitsap, Bremerton). I had no idea there were still Steelhead spawning here. Always thought the Skokomish (about an hour west) was the closest run. Maybe in a few years I can catch one right up the road :)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/jan/14/east-kitsap-designated-as-steelhead-habitat/#axzz2I1FQXCBu

567490_t607.JPG

Jay Zischke, marine fish manager for the Suquamish Tribe, said little is known about steelhead in most areas of Puget Sound, but tribal biologists have discovered remnant populations in many streams in North and Central Kitsap.

Spawning adult steelhead have been spotted by biologists who occasionally check the streams in winter, and juvenile steelhead have been caught in traps as they leave selected streams, he said. Genetic testing could determine the extent to which local steelhead populations remain intact, he said.

"They are kind of like coho," Zischke said. "They want to get way up in the watershed, and the juveniles use the streams for one or two years. I think it is appropriate that the (Kitsap) habitat was listed as critical. These fish are there."

That's great, really hope this doesn't cause an influx of people wanting to catch one.

That's great, really hope this doesn't cause an influx of people wanting to catch one.

Nah, Steelhead are regulated fiercely, people will go to jail for illegally fishing them. Also Forks is the destination for Steelhead. Before there was Twilight, Forks was famous for that. You can only catch one wild fish a year, and only in specified rivers where the runs are healthy. Hatchery Steelhead is 2 per day only, minimum size is 20 inches so the juveniles are off limits. I'm just excited to find out they still exist in my immediate area.

OK, this sucks. Haven't found it in the news but the WDFW posted it on FB:

DFW POLICE NEED YOUR HELP - On January 9th four dead eagles were discovered floating in a lake outside of Granite Falls (Snohomish Co). The four eagles were retrieved by officers on January 10th. Initial observations suggests at least three of the birds were killed using a small caliber rifle. It appears that the birds had been perched in trees before they fell to their death into the water.

Bald eagles are protected under state and federal law. The federal violation for killing an eagle is a Class A misdemeanor. It is also a state crime with a maximum penalty of $1,000 and 90 days in jail. Also, under state law, $2000 per eagle killed is assessed upon conviction.

WDFW, Humane Society of the United States and Conservation Northwest have collaborated to offer up to $3,750 cash reward. In order to qualify for the total amount, the information must lead to an arrest and conviction. Anyone with information related to this egregious act is encouraged to call the Fish and Wildife Police on our TIP line at 1.877.933.9847 or email us at [email protected]. Information will be treated confidentially.

Ugly pic:
76073_476585452399070_1709638242_n.jpg

Back