Zookeeper Gabes Animal Thread 4.0

So I looked up that name you gave for the Jag up there Gabe.

EDIT: Don't want any false impressions.

Last edited:
Hey Gabe,
I read that Hyenas are more closely related to felines than canines. Can you expand on that a little, if true?

Their are a few different species of hyena, but most think of the spotted Hyena when you hear Hyena. The females have an elarged clitoris (already mentioned) that they will actually use when making males submit by actually inserting it if they really need to make their point. :icon_cry2 If you get my drift.

This is an excerpt from Wiki

Although phylogenetically close to felines and viverrids, hyenas are behaviourally and morphologically similar to canines in several aspects (see Convergent evolution); both hyenas and canines are non-arboreal, cursorial hunters that catch prey with their teeth rather than claws. Both eat food quickly and may store it, and their calloused feet with large, blunt, non-retractable nails are adapted for running and making sharp turns. However, the hyenas' grooming, scent marking, defecating habits, mating and parental behaviour are consistent with the behaviour of other feliforms.[4] Although long reputed to be cowardly scavengers, hyenas, especially spotted hyenas, kill as much as 95% of the food they eat,[5] and have been known to drive off leopards or lionesses from their kills. Hyenas are primarily nocturnal animals, but may venture from their lairs in the early morning hours. With the exception of the highly social spotted hyena, hyenas are generally not gregarious animals, though they may live in family groups and congregate at kills.[6]

@Blitz the picture isn't coming up for some reason but if its a black lion, it's photoshopped. There hasn't been a documented case of full melanism in lions.

@Blitz the picture isn't coming up for some reason but if its a black lion, it's photoshopped. There hasn't been a documented case of full melanism in lions.

Yeah, okay I deleted it. I didn't think it was real but I don't want to lead anyone on with that picture if they see it and then start wanting to talk about it. Not real, not for this thread.
Now my Dapper Cheetah Pic, that is real and deserves discussion.

Not sure if the Texans are going to stand a chance this weekend.

@blitz- I won't say texans have no chance but the pats should take this.

Here's a quick look at hyenas ancestry and relatives.
C0E60E57-1120-40F3-8420-4A809CA77055-31729-0000245DC10A2A93.jpg

I want a turtle or a tortoise or a terrapin or something of that nature. What would you recommend, Gabriel? If it's too much effort I won't bother with it.

I want a turtle or a tortoise or a terrapin or something of that nature. What would you recommend, Gabriel? If it's too much effort I won't bother with it.

First it kind of depends on your age and living situation, if you are in college or thinking college I don't reccomend one unless living somewhere other than dorms.

I would not reccomend any type of water turtle for a beginner, they are a ton of work, most get large and are relatively expensive to maintain. There's a few good starter land turtles/tortoises box turtles (check local laws some species are illegal in areas), Russian tortoises and Greek tortoises are all good starter species.

First it kind of depends on your age and living situation, if you are in college or thinking college I don't reccomend one unless living somewhere other than dorms.

I would not reccomend any type of water turtle for a beginner, they are a ton of work, most get large and are relatively expensive to maintain. There's a few good starter land turtles/tortoises box turtles (check local laws some species are illegal in areas), Russian tortoises and Greek tortoises are all good starter species.

A Russian tortoise looks right up my alley, cheers mangg.

A Russian tortoise looks right up my alley, cheers mangg.

They are pretty cool little guys, before you get him a few other things. Try and find a veterinarian in the area that can/will treat him just in case. Also if your house/apt isn't to cold look into large plastic containers(the big ones you can buy at target/Walmart/etc ) as a home. They are much cheaper than glass but they don't display as well. Do tons of research, not just on the Internet try and find some good books.

Do you know what kind of Turtles Rocky had? Cuff and Link I think were their names. :p

Love these guys - old roommate had a big adult that lived in a dog house and had a dog tag glued to its scutes because it would wander down the street

Bonus videos, wait for dat 'O' noise:

Last night I dreamed of an odd pale colored reptile, and thought it looked like a monitor. Lo and behold... it's real!

albo-nile.jpg

Yay, my favoritest thread ever hits version 4!

What did the Reptile say to you in your dream?

Back