ZMA's

HellIsForHeroes

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have read enough about ZMA's here and there to get a basic idea of what they do in my head. And one effect of taking them is better sleep. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, and melatonin only helps me get to sleep, but then I end up waking up at some point in the middle of the night.

I tried searching the forum for ZMA, came up with nothing (really not sure why). I tried ZMA's and found a few things, but what I wanted the most was a recommendation of what brands are good ZMA's. I read recommendations for Optimum ZMA and Cyclo Z Mass so far. I tried getting on t-nation after googling ZMA and I for some reason cannot get onto the t-nation page EVER. I did read from google though that somebody on that site liked Biotest and Cytodyne's ZMA's.

So basically, are there any good ZMA's that you guys can recommend? Or any I should for sure stay away from?

Do a search, there are a ton of threads that state everyone's opinion on this. Since you'll probably avoid searching, here's mine;

It did nothing noticible to make me think that I had better sleep. The only thing it did was give me wild dreams in color. For the money it was definitely not worth it.

I use biotest zma and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still sometimes wake up alittle early, but never during the middle of the night, and its usually just to piss.

HellIsForHeroes said:
I have read enough about ZMA's here and there to get a basic idea of what they do in my head. And one effect of taking them is better sleep. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, and melatonin only helps me get to sleep, but then I end up waking up at some point in the middle of the night.

I tried searching the forum for ZMA, came up with nothing (really not sure why). I tried ZMA's and found a few things, but what I wanted the most was a recommendation of what brands are good ZMA's. I read recommendations for Optimum ZMA and Cyclo Z Mass so far. I tried getting on t-nation after googling ZMA and I for some reason cannot get onto the t-nation page EVER. I did read from google though that somebody on that site liked Biotest and Cytodyne's ZMA's.

So basically, are there any good ZMA's that you guys can recommend? Or any I should for sure stay away from?

I use Optimum Nutrition's ZMA. It works well for me.

Also, please, learn how to use an apostrophe. Do it for the children.

TimmyTomatoes said:
I use biotest zma and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still sometimes wake up alittle early, but never during the middle of the night, and its usually just to piss.

Do you notice increased energy levels during the day? Just curious how you justify buying the product other than that you don't wake up that much during the night.

Well the fact that for less than $10, you get a month and a half supply helps. I haven't personally taking the test to see if i'm zinc deffecient(sp?), but from what i've heard most active people are, so i figure, for the price why not. And i usually have alot of energy, but i've started taking a new multi, among other new supplements, so i wouldn't be able to tell what exactly gives me more energy.

I use Prolab but I don't think the brand matters that much. Just look on the back and make sure they use magnesium aspartate. Other forms of magnesium may not absorb as well.

i like it, a lot. how can it be justified? well for $10 you get a deeper sleep, vivid dreams, and as a result of the deeper sleep a better recovery from workouts and possibly higher testostrone levels. the vivid dreams are sweet. if you have $10 to spare every 6 weeks, why not buy a supplement that you can actively notice working and get cool dreams too?

so i guess it's up to the individual. do you like vivid dreams? do you like deeper longer sleep?

i do. in my dreams i'm a viking.

kuroMaguro said:
Do a search, there are a ton of threads that state everyone's opinion on this. Since you'll probably avoid searching, here's mine;

It did nothing noticible to make me think that I had better sleep. The only thing it did was give me wild dreams in color. For the money it was definitely not worth it.

I did search and found little on people naming brands. I even said so in my post. I'm not looking for the effects of ZMA supplements, but rather good brands or brands to stay away from.

skeet said:
Also, please, learn how to use an apostrophe. Do it for the children.

If you mean my use of the apostrophe in ZMA's, then I don't understand your complaint. If you look in Purdue's online writing lab, it states that the apostrophe is not needed in that situation but might still be preferred by some editors, teachers, and professors. It nowhere says that use of the apostrophe after capitalized letters to indicated pluralization is incorrect. If you meant otherwise, then please let me know. English is not my strongest subject, and I am always looking to improve my writing skills.

Monger said:
Just look on the back and make sure they use magnesium aspartate. Other forms of magnesium may not absorb as well.

And I'll be sure to look for that on that back.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

oyaji poi said:
i like it, a lot. how can it be justified? well for $10 you get a deeper sleep, vivid dreams, and as a result of the deeper sleep a better recovery from workouts and possibly higher testostrone levels. the vivid dreams are sweet. if you have $10 to spare every 6 weeks, why not buy a supplement that you can actively notice working and get cool dreams too?

so i guess it's up to the individual. do you like vivid dreams? do you like deeper longer sleep?

i do. in my dreams i'm a viking.

LOL, the dreams do rock. I remember looking forward every night just to see what crazy dream I would have. When I tried ZMA the best I could find it was about $25 for a month's supply, $10 is definitely better. Still, I did notice the crazy dreams and fact that I wouldnt' wake up in the middle of the night, but what did that do for me? I noticed no actual aid to my energy levels during the day and didn't see any difference in recovery. I'm sure it had to do something, but it was just so minimal that I couldn't see any effect, hence not worth it for me. I did buy the seperate B-6 or 12, that ZMA has. That is what gives you crazy dreams supposebly. And it was hell of a lot cheaper than buying ZMA :)

The dreams sound like a good time. I'm just wanting to try a decent ZMA to see if I can get a better night's sleep with it. I know different things work for different people. So I want to see if those will help me sleep better. As it is now, my sleep cycle is pretty crappy.

One of the reasons I DON'T like ZMA are the fucked up dreams I have when I take it. I'm talking HORRIBLE nightmares involving my family getting tortured in front of me, watching animals getting slaughtered etc.

Keep in mind that not everyone notices a better quality of sleep nor does everyone get the "crazy dreams". Many have stated that they do experience these things and I've seen scientific data that allude to the possibility of it. But many also, like myself, have never noticed a difference in sleep or dreams. Just FYI.

I know that it won't give everybody great sleep and all. But I would like to try it to see if it'll help me out. And if it does, that's all I care about.

HellIsForHeroes said:
I know that it won't give everybody great sleep and all. But I would like to try it to see if it'll help me out. And if it does, that's all I care about.

Hopefully it works for you. Even if it doesn't add to your sleep quality it's still not worthless. Many people are magnesium deficient to some degree or another anyway. Even if you don't "feel" a difference it's still probably beneficial to your general health.

Sonny said:
One of the reasons I DON'T like ZMA are the fucked up dreams I have when I take it. I'm talking HORRIBLE nightmares involving my family getting tortured in front of me, watching animals getting slaughtered etc.

LMAO, that sucks. I get cool ones like being a jedi or a matrix character.

I like the biotest zma... I bought primaforce a while ago, and it had a slight aftertaste. I didn't notice any difference in the effects. Personally, I find it worth the $10/month since I don't wake up as much and seem to recover faster.

HellIsForHeroes said:
I did search and found little on people naming brands. I even said so in my post. I'm not looking for the effects of ZMA supplements, but rather good brands or brands to stay away from.

ZMA is patented by SNAC systems. Any brand you buy will be standard. I personally use Ultimate Nutrition's ZMA.

HellIsForHeroes said:
If you mean my use of the apostrophe in ZMA's, then I don't understand your complaint.

In very simple terms, an apostrophe implies ownership.

As in, :

Mike's superhotomgwhyisshewithhim wife
Mike's lighting fast roundhouse kick
Mike's big bad stash of supplements.

Comprendez? :icon_chee

From what I read, there is no need for the apostrophe, but it is still used by some. I read nothing saying that it's inappropriate.

Purdue said:
There is no need for apostrophes indicating a plural on capitalized letters, numbers, and symbols (though keep in mind that some editors, teachers, and professors still prefer them).

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

That leads me to believe that it's still acceptable to use the 's to indicate pluralization of an acronym, even though it says that it is not needed. In the future, I just won't use it to make things simpler, since it appears to be the more acceptable use of acronym pluralization.

And apostrophes are also used in contractions, not just in possession, Mike.

Back