ZMA and protein

craftsman

Akiyama's Quantum of Sexyness Sex Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I am starting to take ZMA now and it says not to take it with dairy or things that contain calcium. Does that mean that I can't drink milk altogether or does it mean that I can't take ZMA with milk? Also, since protein/whey is a dairy byproduct does that mean I can't take protein either?

It's because iron, calcium, and phytate (found in whole grain breads, cereals, legumes) can bind zinc/decrease absorption, so they don't recommend taking zinc supplements at the same time.

Cool, so am I good if I drink milk then 3-4 hours later take ZMA? Just not at the same time right?

Cool, so am I good if I drink milk then 3-4 hours later take ZMA? Just not at the same time right?

I would assume so, but doesn't it say to take it on an empty stomach before you go to sleep at night? I used to take ZMA many years ago, so I might be mistaking it with another supplement.

Yea it does, but 3-4 hours is plenty of time for food to digest and my stomach feels pretty empty.

I think most people that take pre-bed shakes and ZMA take their ZMA 45 minutes before bed, giving the zinc time to absorb. Then RIGHT before they lay down they down their pre-sleep shake.

I think most people that take pre-bed shakes and ZMA take their ZMA 45 minutes before bed, giving the zinc time to absorb. Then RIGHT before they lay down they down their pre-sleep shake.

Bingo-Bango!

Unless you don't have a pre bed shake, then just wait 1.5-2 hours after your last meal.

It's because iron, calcium, and phytate (found in whole grain breads, cereals, legumes) can bind zinc/decrease absorption, so they don't recommend taking zinc supplements at the same time.

Sorta correct, sorta not.

Phytic Acids bind to dietary minerals and make them difficult for your body to absorb. Phytic acids are found in most plant matter, but are extremely high in Soy.

Calcium and Zinc share the same transport mechanisms. Thus, when you take Calcium and Zinc at the same time, you have competitive inhibition. Generally, your body wants calcium more and will thusly prioritize the uptake of calcium over zinc.

What the OP wants to do is take your ZMA with water ~45 minutes before bed. By the time your bedtime rolls around, it should be fully/mostly absorbed into your blood, at which point you go ahead and down your pre-sleep protein or whatever.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Speaking of ZMA, get this:

I'm in GNC today, grabbing what I need, throwing elbows left and right due to the stupid mall crowds. I get home and proceed to take off all the security wrap, cotton, plastic crap, etc etc on my bucket of whey, my creatine, and my ZMA. I pop open my ZMA, and I have these freakin' big black capsules, and I'm like "WTF is this shit?!?!"

IMG_0159.jpg

Well, it turns out I bought (and opened):

IMG_0161.jpg

Moral of the story: Be careful what you grab off the shelf when in a hurry. The ZMA and CLA were sitting right next to each other, I had some fat lady beside me yelling across the store to her fat friend about how GREAT some thermogenic was (Yeah, it obviously works well), and the musclebound fake-n-bake-hair-highlights-biceps-boy clerk eyeballing and shadowing me like I was going to steal something. Brutal.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid. It's kinda junky.

Poor Mike. I'm sure at one point you thought to yourself, "Wow, that sure was one pricey bottle of ZMA."

Conjugated Linoleic Acid. It's kinda junky.

Poor Mike. I'm sure at one point you thought to yourself, "Wow, that sure was one pricey bottle of ZMA."

31.99 regular price, 90 caps, 950mg CLA per cap. Allmax Nutrition brand.
25.59 Gold card price
I paid 22.40 with my 30% discount. I think I pay about 19 bucks for ZMA. I've never bought CLA before, but I expected it to be pricier than this.

Back