ZMA and GABA

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by rearnakedchoke, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rearnakedchoke

rearnakedchoke Suck it!

i was reading about these for sleep .. Has anyone ever tried? Is it worth it, or not so much

2. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

I just take zinc. works well for staying asleep.

3. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

As far as I know, the only reason people talk about ZMA is off the back of a tiny, dodgy study paid for by a dodgy manufacturer and it's never been replicated. Could be wrong. All the vitamin B in it just gives me weird dreams anyway.

GABA - is it really a good idea to ingest large enough amounts of a single neurotransmitter to effect your brain over a prolonged period? I doubt it. The body's homeostatic tendencies lead to changes you can't predict and don't want.

I'm sure there are better ways to approach sleep problems.

4. RevXwise

RevXwise Green Belt

I'm not sure about sleep, but I take a rough equivalent to ZMA post workout anyway. I usually take a vitamin B complex (something with 100mg of thiamine), a Zinc supplement, and a Magnesium supplement.

I wouldn't really mess with GABA, but I think MSG does something to help synthesize it. I have a salt shaker with MSG in it, you could probably do something similar.

5. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

ZMA helped me stay asleep, never had any problems falling asleep. It also gave me crazy dreams.

jack3d14 likes this.
  6. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I used to take the individual ingredients and it was much cheaper (zinc aspertate and magnesium aspertate.) I usually left the out B6 because it often had the opposite effect and kept me awake. slept better and had crazy dreams.

Don't know much about gaba.

7. jack3d14

jack3d14 White Belt

I always wake up in a puddle of my own drool. love zma.

8. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

I do 30 mg zinc, 90 mg magnesium, 15 mg B 6, 50 mg GABA, and 1 mg melatonin (in the form of a GNC Pro Performance Zinc Magnesium Amino Complex) and an additional 3 mg melatonin and 200 mg L-theanine (in the form of a Nature Made Melatonin+). Sleep like a baby.

9. Ruckus

Ruckus White Belt

I'm a former insomniac, and ZMA and melatonin has me sleeping 8+ hours a night anymore. I doubt the testosterone boosting effects of ZMA beyond that of just getting better quality of sleep, but my quality of sleep as certainly improved since I started taking it.

10. Abezal

Abezal Banned Banned

Does any of this shit help you get to sleep, my issue is falling once there my ass is out for 8 hours.

any something half hour or hour before i want to sleep and the thing will knock me out ?

11. Ruckus

Ruckus White Belt

Melatonin will help you fall asleep, as well as Doxylamine Succinate (drug name for unisom).

12. jack3d14

jack3d14 White Belt

Also, not watching TV within 1 hour of bedtime has made a difference in my sleep quality. The light from the screen (and even from cellphones) affects circadian rhythms and melatonin secretion at night when you need it.

13. rearnakedchoke

rearnakedchoke Suck it!

This is the same with reading on an ipad ... Read a book before bed